• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Friend needs to rehome her rabbit or it will be put to sleep

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
I hope I am allowed to post this. I have a friend who rescued a rabbit from some one who bought it from the adoption area at pets at home but then failed to feed her or give her water and she became aggressive so was pushed around with a broom and never interacted with and treat badly so my friend took her on and tried her very best to get her used to being handled but she is still very aggressive, mostly territorial aggression and when being handled she will breath very fast and dribble out of fear if she is not biting. She is a large rabbit in a very small 4ft hutch but my friend cannot afford larger accommodation and has been trying her hardest for almost a year to rehome this rabbit but has had no luck, rescues are full that she has contacted and she's had people offer her a home from her adverts but they have been people offering small hutches and been for a childs pet.

I fully believe the rabbit will become much less aggressive when spayed and given larger accommodation but my friend neither has the money or space for those things. She had her booked in at the vets a couple of days ago to be put to sleep but she couldn't go through with it, but she has another appointment next week. I am in no situation to take the rabbit on permanently, I already tried a trio before when I had my three rabbits and it did not work so I don't think it would work again and I don't really have the money to spay and vaccinate another rabbit when I have my own pets with ongoing vet treatment. I am also taking on a dog in the next couple of months so have no room to keep this rabbit separately from my current rabbits who free range upstairs.

Do you think I should try and help or leave her to it, I also think the rabbit is better off being put to sleep than living as she is at the moment but think it's such a shame as spaying and proper accommodation/care and this rabbit could have a lovely life and I feel very upset vets would actually say yes to putting healthy animals down but I don't know what to do really. I am sorry this is an upsetting post but she has asked if I would post to let the rabbit have one last chance at having a home or if people think I'm doing the wrong thing by not offering my help. :(

If she is a Support Adoption rabbit then the charity would pay for the spay - the person who originally adopted her should have had a voucher for this. Thinking it through, there is probably a time limit on that voucher. The microchip should prove that she is from Support Adoption though - could they be persuaded to help, maybe? In theory she should have been returned to Support Adoption rather than rehomed, I presume they would be obliged to take her back... what happens next is the tricky bit. Maybe some negotiations could be made about returning then re-adopting (given that she is in different ownership), therefore being given a voucher for spaying her.

Bit garbled, sorry but haven't much time.

Edit to add: The Anybunniez Network on Facebook could be a good place to post to try and help her

Last edited:
Thank you, I thought this too about returning her to support adoption in pets at home but yes the spaying voucher has expired as my friend has had this rabbit for a year and I don't know how long the previous owners had her. I will mention it to my friend and suggest she ring pets at home and see if they can offer any help/advice. I will look them up on facebook too thank you.

We both volunteer for the RSPCA and she asked for their help today and the lady said put to sleep was the best option as they cant help and the rabbit would unlikely find a new home :(

My friend cant afford accommodation so even if the rabbit can be spayed she will still be miserable, she is in better conditions now then she was before my friend took her and she has a good diet and care but my friend didn't want a rabbit as she knows what big commitments they are. It is an awful situation to be in. She is waiting yo hear back from some contacts the RSPCA has at the moment.

****. I'd take her if it was a bit nearer. I don't know any other bunny people up that way, sorry.

I adopted my buns from BARC which was much too far away for me to drive there and back (I have arthritis) and bunny runs were always arranged to share the journey, with the bun having 'bed and breakfast' stops on the way. I'm in Hampshire too and would be willing to do part of a bunny run if it meant this poor bunster had a chance?

I adopted my buns from BARC which was much too far away for me to drive there and back (I have arthritis) and bunny runs were always arranged to share the journey, with the bun having 'bed and breakfast' stops on the way. I'm in Hampshire too and would be willing to do part of a bunny run if it meant this poor bunster had a chance?
I'm in Burnley on Sunday, I can take her until next weekend (Nottingham) and then drive her down to Hampshire next Friday or Saturday? I don't handle rabbits, I do everything by carrier if I can and I can put her up in the back bedroom or attic for a week? It won't be a huge space (which is why I can't take longterm) but it'll be 4' square minimum.

I'm in Burnley on Sunday, I can take her until next weekend (Nottingham) and then drive her down to Hampshire next Friday or Saturday? I don't handle rabbits, I do everything by carrier if I can and I can put her up in the back bedroom or attic for a week? It won't be a huge space (which is why I can't take longterm) but it'll be 4' square minimum.

That is truly amazing of you. I can't drive for medical reasons otherwise I would be more help. If Liz is happy with this arrangement out would give me time to extend my current enclosure so she has loads of room. Liz doesn't know me though so it's up to her. Also we would need some more info as don't know how large she is etc.

Sorry, my reply to you vanished for some reason. That is wonderfully kind of you x

Thank you to everyone who has offered help and support, either on here or through PM. I am at work at the moment so will have a proper look through messages tonight. I will send all messages to my friend, so if I take the rabbit to my house is some one able to collect from Leeds (Morley) for the first part of the journey as we don't drive either?

I have just been reading through my PM's and have an offer from a member who lives in Leeds and can collect from Morley who would like to take the rabbit on, it is not the first message I received but if transport can't be arranged for eyerollchamp who messaged me first this is an option if you would be OK with that?

Just for some more details for those interested in helping the bunny is a white/grey lop, about 2 years old, I don't have accurate weight for her but I think she may be a bit overweight so she won't be the largest of rabbits.

Thank you to everyone who has offered help and support, either on here or through PM. I am at work at the moment so will have a proper look through messages tonight. I will send all messages to my friend, so if I take the rabbit to my house is some one able to collect from Leeds (Morley) for the first part of the journey as we don't drive either?
Yes, sometime between 6 and 8pm Sunday? Or I can come tomorrow or Saturday anytime: that would be inconvenient for me, although I'm giving it as an alternative in case Sunday is not good for you :) Morley's practically on my usual route to/from Burnley (past Halifax) so it's not even out of my way :) I doubt I'll be able to take the hutch though, sorry.

EDIT: I see things are moving :D I will send you a PM, Liz, with my full availability etc. :)

I'll try and remember to log on this evening :)

Last edited:
Back