• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many bunnies do you have (together in groups)?

EyerollChamp

Alpha Buck
Interested to see how many bunnies you all feel can be sensibly kept together, and what your own experiences have been.. I've kept a maximum of 4 together in my lifetime, but now my partner and I are aware of how many are in rescues we want to rehome as many as possible! One day we dream of opening a rabbit sanctuary but that's a long way off.

That possibly sounds insane but we love our bunnies like our children and would do anything for them. I'm disabled so always home to give them the care they need. And I love doing it. We have a menagerie and it's a magical place for our children to grow up!

I grew up with rabbits, sadly in those days the only books on the subject were based on breeding and meat/fur farming, and there was no Internet. My first few were kept in hutches alone (though given lots of attention and exercise). They were bought from breeders and pet shops. I now look back on this and it makes me want to cry. I loved those bunnies but that isn't enough. We'd love the chance to do whatever we can for bunnies who need care.

We currently have a young bonded pair (m/f). Our house and garden are fully bunny-proofed and we have the room for more.

My question is, is the more the better in terms of their welfare? Or is there a cut-off point? I'm not talking about becoming insane animal hoarders, but doing the most amount of good.

Any viewpoints welcomed! :wave:

So I have 4 of my own, but board and foster so can have 10+ bunnies here at any one time (at the moment I have my 4, 2 fosters, and 3 boarders). I love having more but by the end of busy season I am usually relieved to be back to a smaller number (as it means I can sit and relax knowing there's only 3/4 litter trays to change :lol: )

I think the most important thing to consider with having more, is can you afford the vet bills. I have had thousands worth of vet bills in the past couple of years and I only have 4 bunnies!

I now just have 4. The most I have had was 44 (not all in one group). That was far too many. As things are for me now 4 is my limit.

Catherine that sounds lovely! What is your set up if you don't mind me asking?

Keletkezes, my 2nd ever bunny was called Lopsy :)

I have 2 trios. I did have a group of 4 but 2 of the boys fell out so I had to buy another set-up (about £1500 in total for what I wanted including paving) for him and adopted 2 new ladies for company. Be prepared for this to happen. I love having groups but I have the space and the funds to hand if something goes wrong. Just something to consider

Jack's Jane, how did you end up with so many if that's not too nosy?

Various Rescues, various 'back yard breeder 'situations' (ended up being arrested over one of those !) My Velveteens were from a Breeder ( yes, that makes me the devil's spawn, I know..................)

Petshop disaster (Doe gave birth in shop, Doe died leaving 5 3 week old orphans whom I hand reared)

Failed Fostering

Neighbours with 'can you take my Rabbit, it's ill and I dont know what to do'. Or 'We are going on holiday, can you feed my son's Rabbit. Then, would you like to keep my son's Rabbit, we dont want any money for him.............'

Two baby Rabbits found in a dust bin. Mr Bin Man bought them to me to ask if I'd take them.

I could potentially have become part of the problem by trying to help resolve a problem. It can be very hard to say 'no' when faced with some dire situations. I got in over my haed. Fortunately I was able to cope, with help from a good friend. But I see now how easy it can be to take on too much.

Catherine that sounds lovely! What is your set up if you don't mind me asking?

Keletkezes, my 2nd ever bunny was called Lopsy :)

My own live in a converted dog kennel, as do the fosters.
The boarding is v large hutches 9ft by 3ft.

Pics are all on my website linked in my signature :)

None. Until April this year I had two pairs, then Matthew died. Then in June the remaining three were pts. :(

I have 2 trios. I did have a group of 4 but 2 of the boys fell out so I had to buy another set-up (about £1500 in total for what I wanted including paving) for him and adopted 2 new ladies for company. Be prepared for this to happen. I love having groups but I have the space and the funds to hand if something goes wrong. Just something to consider

Thanks Rhian, I have one large spare hutch and adjoining run to use in integration which we are prepared to extend and modify should it need to become a permanent home. I've also built a few enclosures in the past so could do that again, though Ideally I'd like them all to be free-range.

I think the most important thing to consider with having more, is can you afford the vet bills. I have had thousands worth of vet bills in the past couple of years and I only have 4 bunnies!

I have all my animals comprehensively insured with Petplan and the excess is small. It adds up but so worth it.

Oh and Catherine I looked at your website, how lovely! You're not far from us, and I'd be very happy for our buns to stay with you! If we ever get another holiday lol x

Oh happy bun. .. :cry: I am so very sorry. I can't even imagine. I hope you can find the strength not to give up on bunnies xx

Another thing to consider is the accommodation you have available for them. Hutches aren't really going to cut it with groups and sheds attached to aviaries or large dog kennel and run set-ups are more appropriate unless you are planning to give them access top a large bunny proof room indoors.

Various Rescues, various 'back yard breeder 'situations' (ended up being arrested over one of those !) My Velveteens were from a Breeder ( yes, that makes me the devil's spawn, I know..................)

Petshop disaster (Doe gave birth in shop, Doe died leaving 5 3 week old orphans whom I hand reared)

Failed Fostering

Neighbours with 'can you take my Rabbit, it's ill and I dont know what to do'. Or 'We are going on holiday, can you feed my son's Rabbit. Then, would you like to keep my son's Rabbit, we dont want any money for him.............'

Two baby Rabbits found in a dust bin. Mr Bin Man bought them to me to ask if I'd take them.

I could potentially have become part of the problem by trying to help resolve a problem. It can be very hard to say 'no' when faced with some dire situations. I got in over my haed. Fortunately I was able to cope, with help from a good friend. But I see now how easy it can be to take on too much.

I don't think you're the devil's spawn at all. You sound more like a saint!

I have a quad a trio and a single (who will be bonded to the trio once neutered). Most I had in one group was 5. For me I wouldn't want to go much larger as a limit as I feel that the larger the group the more difficult it can be to tell if someone is a bit under the weather.

Back