• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long after male neuter can you bond?

Normally around 6 weeks for hormones to die. Around 3 weeks to heal completely.

I'd call and discuss with them.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I did phone them, they were fekin useless! They told me that you could not bond two adult rabbits immediately, and that you had to put them in two separate enclosures and give them 'play dates'. They said he should be OK with my girl for short times. Ehhh, naw, she is no getting the living daylights humped out of her during a 'play date'.

Now I know that this method can work, but the introduce in a small space method works too, that is how I bonded Hollie with Herbie when I got her.

Aye, Hollie is spayed, so I might consider a shorter time, but I dunno! Argghhh!

With most of my neuters and bonding, it took at least 3 weeks for the hormones to subside enough that the other rabbits weren't being overly pestered with humping by the freshly neutered male, though sometimes I had to wait 4 weeks.

I am interested in this wee guy to bond with my Hollie.
https://www.scottishspca.org/rehome/details/?animal=307526

But he has just been neutered last week.

I don't want to take him until I know I can start the bond straight away. So I am wondering how long before his hormones calm down and he can be bonded?

In Rescue we always found it took up to 12 weeks for hormones to calm down. I later found this substantiated by evidence. However, if the female is spayed I see no reason not to bond right away. Things usually come OK in the end with a male/female partnership :D

Good luck xx

I would also want to settle a newcomer in for at least a week before bonding. They have enough to deal with - new routine, new housing to find their way round, new human in charge, etc. You can make sure he is eating, etc properly and then start bonding. I would be tempted to take him at 2-3 weeks post-neuter. The hormones will be starting to fade by then, he will be fully healed, and cope with another change better.

If his partner is spayed, there is no risk from any enduring fertility either.

Good luck.

Do you think I would have to keep him totally separate from her prior to bonding, or would a penned off area in the same room be better?

Do you think I would have to keep him totally separate from her prior to bonding, or would a penned off area in the same room be better?

I've done it both ways. I find it easier (if you've space) to keep him totally separate, then there's no "trying to get at him through the bars" which can happen.

Aye, I have space, so could keep him separate.

I am on holiday next week, so just need to see if he is available when I get back. I think he should be as there are loads of baby bunnies at the rescue just now, so wee Frank will probably not even get looked at.

when I had mitzi ( yes he turned out to be a boy, it took him to get to 14months old to show any bits :lol:), when he was done, his hormones had calmed by 3weeks, he was then bonded with our female thumper at 4weeks after the operation, they had obviously seen each other prior though as both had lived in separate hutches outdoors and mitzi was desperate for a friend :lol: (uncle named her thumper so we couldn't change it but we always knew she was female)

One of my bonds - River and Takumi - was actually done pre-Takumi's neuter and it all worked out fine. He didn't ever get overly "humpy" with her, but managed to calm her down a little as she has tons of fear aggression (even now) and was really flighty (she's more confident now). River had already been spayed, but even after a good 5 weeks in our care, she was still acting like she was entire - and that's one reason why I went that way round. I don't think their bond would have worked so easily if Takumi was already way post-neuter and hormones subsided. But of course, that's just one case.

Actually, Elphie/Helios/Selene were bonded prior to Selene's spay too, but Selene's the loveliest girl ever. She adored Elphie from the offset. I ended up also bonding Morning into them before Selene's spay, and was really lucky with it. I ended up having the whole quad at the vets for Selene's op. :lol:

Every situation's different. Hopefully the boy you like will still be there when you're ready - and as you're waiting a short while, it's all time for hormones to die down. :)

when I had mitzi ( yes he turned out to be a boy, it took him to get to 14months old to show any bits :lol:), when he was done, his hormones had calmed by 3weeks, he was then bonded with our female thumper at 4weeks after the operation, they had obviously seen each other prior though as both had lived in separate hutches outdoors and mitzi was desperate for a friend :lol: (uncle named her thumper so we couldn't change it but we always knew she was female)

I had a female Thumper when I was a kid! My dad bred a litter from a black girl and a rew boy - they had black and rew babies - and Thumper, a grey fluffy thing we kept.

One of my bonds - River and Takumi - was actually done pre-Takumi's neuter and it all worked out fine. He didn't ever get overly "humpy" with her, but managed to calm her down a little as she has tons of fear aggression (even now) and was really flighty (she's more confident now). River had already been spayed, but even after a good 5 weeks in our care, she was still acting like she was entire - and that's one reason why I went that way round. I don't think their bond would have worked so easily if Takumi was already way post-neuter and hormones subsided. But of course, that's just one case.

Actually, Elphie/Helios/Selene were bonded prior to Selene's spay too, but Selene's the loveliest girl ever. She adored Elphie from the offset. I ended up also bonding Morning into them before Selene's spay, and was really lucky with it. I ended up having the whole quad at the vets for Selene's op. :lol:

Every situation's different. Hopefully the boy you like will still be there when you're ready - and as you're waiting a short while, it's all time for hormones to die down. :)

I had a female Thumper when I was a kid! My dad bred a litter from a black girl and a rew boy - they had black and rew babies - and Thumper, a grey fluffy thing we kept.

awww she wasn't alone then :)

One week after castration is perfect for bonding provided the bucks wounds are healed and any swelling has gone down and that the doe is spayed. It is by far the easiest time to bond as he will only have one thing on his mind and it won't be fighting. Some does get offended if a buck doesn't try to mount her but few actually get upset about being humped. Fur pulling from the back of the neck is fine too. The buck will calm down quickly, usually within a couple of days and by then the bond will be formed.

Last edited:
Back