• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spot on treatment to avoid fly strike?

deegirlll

New Kit
I was wondering if anyone uses any spot on treatment on rabbits to prevent parasites, if so, which brands are the best?
Thank you

It scares me a little as I've heard of many rabbits who it made really poorly. I have never tried it on my rabbits. Rabbits most at risk from fly strike are those that have dirty bums, open wounds or are unwell - if any of these apply to your bunnies & they live outside it may be worth considering. Regular check of their fur (minimum of daily) is really useful throughout the summer. Obviously a clean environment for them is imperative. Fly paper is used by many as a risk reduction strategy & I've heard of planting things that deter flies near their acommodation. I'm not underestimating fly strike though - its a nasty thing & the life cycle from maggots to flies is only hours

I was wondering if anyone uses any spot on treatment on rabbits to prevent parasites, if so, which brands are the best?
Thank you

For flystrike I don't use anything.

Some people use Rearguard, and I've known rabbits where the vet applied it and several days later the rabbits were dead.

F10 - a lot of people will recommend this, and many people on this Forum have had bad experiences with it burning a rabbit's skin.

Both these things are vet recommended, but I use neither and prefer to keep the rabbits clean, and if necessary clip the fur around the bottom to prevent dirt accumulating. You do have to be vigilant though :)

Read here:

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Myiasis/Miyasis_fly.htm

The use of prophylactic solutions is not recommended as adverse fatal effects have been observed in rabbits (Frontline). Some veterinary professionals use the prophylactic product Dicyclanil (Novartis), which protects sheep against the blowfly Lucilia sp. The product is not registered for use in rabbits, and a safe use in rabbits can thus not be guaranteed.

Thank you

Hello

There are two products which appear to be most often suggested as part of Flystrike protection,Rearguard or F10 Germicidal Spray although personally I do not use them. I say 'part of' as nothing can be used instead of A* hygiene, both of the Rabbits and their environment. Excellent husbandry is always the number one thing we can all do to try to minimise the risks of Flystrike.

That said, it may be that in a specific situation the use of either F10 or Rearguard is deemed to be necessary. It is a case of weighing up risks versus benefits. Whilst there may have been reports of some adverse reactions to the preparations there have been hundreds more deaths from Flystrike. I may not use either product routinely on my Rabbits, but I would not be so arrogant as to say that I never would in a specific situation and under the guidance of a Vet I trust.

Here is some information about Rearguard:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-452143

And some information about F10 germicidal Spray

http://www.f10products.co.uk/admin_uploads/files/brochures/F10H257GWS/index.html

And this is the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund) leaflet about Flystrike which includes advice about using Rearguard

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/flystrike_sep_05.pdf

Back