• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now myxomatosis at invisabuns

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Can you believe it *facepalm*. As if the RHD2 wasn't enough to deal with! Poor Delilah, mum of the little ones who were born here in April and who came down with the RHD2 has now succumbed to myxo :( She was vaccinated at the end of May but obviously didn't develop a decent immune response to it. She came down with it last Wednesday so we've spent the past week backwards and forwards to various

She's got symptoms of both classic and nodular myxo so hopefully this means that she did at least have *some* immune response.

I took her to the emergency vet when I found her like it last Wed evening; she recommended pts but I asked if she could be made comfortable so I could make that decision in conjunction with my own vet the following day. Since then, I've twice I've taken her to my usual vet to be pts and both times my vet has said she thinks there's still a good chance of survival. So for now we battle on. I'm not sure how I feel about things...part of me knows that she deserves the chance and she deserves a chance at the happy life and home she's never had, and part of me feels as if I'm just dragging out her suffering. But it's been nearly a week already so we will keep going for now unless she shows us that she's had enough.

I don't have enough brain cells left to write all about it here; I've written more blurb in my blog:
https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

Oh Santa :( I'm so so sorry. Just one thing after another!

I've met lots of bunnies who have never been vaccinated that survived myxo so hold out hope as she hopefully got at least a small immune response after her vaccine.

I'm sure you trust your vets & I honestly believe no vet would advise to keep trying if they didn't think there was hope.

I'm sending millions & billions of vibes to you, and of course the bunnies.

:( so sorry Santa. That's so unfair. Sending lots of vibes for Delilah, and for you too. You must be exhausted.

I've had five unvaccinated bunnies all survive myxo many, many years ago. It took a lot of nursing and almost daily vet visits but they did all get through it. At the time I had no idea myxo can be fatal and the vet never suggested pts and it was only later I found out how incredibly lucky I had been.

If your vet is saying for you to give your bun a chance, and they are a bunny savvy vet you usually trust, I would go with that.

So sorry to read this, sending lots of vibes to Deliha, really hope she makes a good recovery x

I've just read through the updated part of your blog and am pleased Delilah is having Penicillin injections. As I said on your previous thread about her and her Myx, my rabbit had this along with the Metacam and I've just remembered he had eye drops as well. There were certainly several times in the first couple of weeks when I doubted he would pull through. I suspect my vet also wondered if he would, but she never suggested that we shouldn't keep persevering. As I said my rabbit wouldn't eat for himself during this phase and it was really only when he once again started to nibble his beloved Sow Thistles (that I'd had to scour the lanes for) that I began to dare to hope.

Sending her loads of vibes. She deserves to pull through.

ETA My vet and I decided not to separate the buck from the other two members of his family. The two had of course also been vaccinated and she felt it would give the buck a better chance of survival. They didn't catch it.

Last edited:
So heartbroken for you to read this news. It's like a rock and a hard place making the right decision, but given her life circumstances it seems only fair to not give up on her. I hope she manages to get through it easily, and that nobody else gets it along the way.

Although I knew about this I still cant get my head around it :cry: It is so very unfair :cry: The only 'good' thing is that Delilah and her babies are in your care. No-one could offer them better treatment than you and your Vets.

Sending you lots more hugs xx

Sorry to hear this :( You must be in such a difficult position. I am one who is terrified of prolonging suffering via making a wrong decision. But if vet is saying there is hope, then fingers crossed for you and hopefully you can take some of that responsibility off yourself seeing as the vet recommended giving her a chance. What a good job you didn't listen to first vet. Positive vibes for you both x

I read about this on your blog, Santa. I am truly gob smacked that this has happened to you and your rabbits after all you've already been through. No one takes more care than you do and it just doesn't seem fair.

How are things going today?

Not fair - just not fair :cry:

I am so sorry you're going through this - after all the good you do, you deserve a break. On the plus side however - Delilah couldn't be in a better place to recover. She knows she is loved and I'm sure that goes a huge way towards recovery.

Big hugs to you - and big nose rubs for Delilah.xxx

I hope Santa does not mind me posting that Delilah needs all the vibes in the world this evening. I think Santa needs some RU hugs too, I can only begin to imagine how stressful and upsetting the last weeks must have been xx

Back