• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Lumi & Snoopy

Hi guys!

Just looking for general binding advice and sort of keeping a diary of events.

Snoopy and Lumi have been living in a divided cage for 3 days and have shown no aggression. Lumi sticks her face though the bars and snoopy sniffs and they touch faces. I've often seen them flopped either side of the divide. They always seem to like being sat near each other. I did the first introduction today in the bath with a towel down. There was no fighting, a lot of sniffing and sitting next to each other.

How do you think the bonding is going so far? I was planning on doing one more bath session and then removing the divide for a few hours while I stay near by or would that be too soon?

Thanks for any advice, this is my first bonding!

It sounds to be going really well. Are they male & female? How long was the bonding session in the bath tub?

There is of course the possibility that Lumi could become territorial once the divides are down so it probably is advisable to give them more time to show even more positive behaviour whilst in neutral space. I like to bond in one session rather than several though. If you have the resources (time / no other commitments) i would try keeping them together for as long as they behave nicely

Thanks for the advice. It's much more likely snoopy would be territorial as he's the male and he's the one I've had for a year where as I've just got Lumi :) snoopys a male and Lumi is a female. The session was only about 20 minutes as I'd read the first one shouldn't be too long. I don't have a whole day but should I try it for the evening when I'm home?

Also since I split them back up, Lumi keep stamping her feet at me and trying to climb over the divide, she seems very taken with snoopy!

Normally the females are most territorial, but as you've brought the female in to the males territory you should have better luck.

I'd want to at least do a week of dates, lasting as long as possible. (if you can't do a whole weekend of them together in neutral space).

If they can swap sides of the cage every day that'd be good as it should prevent your female from becoming territorial of her side.

If you do have a few scuffles such as a little chasing or fur pulling try not to intervene too early. It's important they figure out who is in charge. Don't end your session after a scuffle. Always end on a positive note so they relate each other to a good thing.
If the scuffle turns into rolling on the floor, locked together, biting to cause injury etc then separate immediately wearing thick gloves, or using a towel.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back