• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much does age really matter in pairs?

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Pebbles is really lonely, and I've decided I cant ever see myself not having rabbits. With my ME/chronic illness, it's the rabbits that cheer me up when I'm feeling low, and while they arent the easiest pet to look after with a chronic health condition, I love them dearly and it's worth it.

I want to get Pebbles a friend, but for several reasons I don't want an older rabbit. I feel like, at 9.5 years old, she probably hasn't got many years left in her - if that. I don't want to start a cycle of old rabbits - for one, I can't insure them, and two, I feel like this is a time I'd want to plan to 'start again'. I.E, get a younger male, and then in the future, a younger female when Pebbles has passed. I'm trying to be as practical as possible.

I know a few years doesn't make a difference, but does age matter in pairs, especially when one is elderly? She can't see very well at all, but she loves other rabbits and is very affectionate and active. Aside from her eyes she's a very healthy girl.

The kind of rabbit I'm looking for, is a small bunny. Nethie sized, maximum mini lop sized.

I don't feel age matters too much, but you'll need to take into account that she is becoming a little elderly & may begin having problems with her mobility.
During bonding, her eye sight might make the bonding process a bit longer as she'll have to learn to trust them. And they'll have to learn she can't see too great.

I'd maybe contact a few local rescues (that hopefully offer a bonding service) and see if they have any young (around 3yrs or so), calm/gentle rabbits that might get alone with her.

Pebbles is really lonely, and I've decided I cant ever see myself not having rabbits. With my ME/chronic illness, it's the rabbits that cheer me up when I'm feeling low, and while they arent the easiest pet to look after with a chronic health condition, I love them dearly and it's worth it.

I want to get Pebbles a friend, but for several reasons I don't want an older rabbit. I feel like, at 9.5 years old, she probably hasn't got many years left in her - if that. I don't want to start a cycle of old rabbits - for one, I can't insure them, and two, I feel like this is a time I'd want to plan to 'start again'. I.E, get a younger male, and then in the future, a younger female when Pebbles has passed. I'm trying to be as practical as possible.

I know a few years doesn't make a difference, but does age matter in pairs, especially when one is elderly? She can't see very well at all, but she loves other rabbits and is very affectionate and active. Aside from her eyes she's a very healthy girl.

The kind of rabbit I'm looking for, is a small bunny. Nethie sized, maximum mini lop sized.

I've never found age matters at all :D

Nor physical condition. It's the personality and the bond between the rabbits that matters.

I have had age differences of 9 years and no problems :D

Good luck xx

The only age I would be bothered about is a very young bun before it has been neutered. It may cause distress to an older, less agile bun to have a frisky youngster. Mostly, it depends on the personality of the rabbits involved. Maybe even consider another 2 rabbits to bond into a trio. Then you will not have to re-bond the lone one with another partner later on. All rabbits benefit from company. Elderly or less able rabbits can have a much better quality of life with a partner as they do a lot for each other eg grooming eyes, ears, bits they can't reach themselves.

Oh I'd never put a very young rabbit with her, the youngest I would even consider would be a year old neutered male. :)

I'm only adopting one, Pebbles has been in a trio before and while she was okay, she certainly is much happier in a pair. Plus, I can only look after two rabbits with my health, two is my limit. Yeah, thats partly why I'm doing it, not just for companionship but also for the grooming etc. :)

Age doesn't matter at all. A good temperament match is far more important. I once bonded a 12 year old buck to a pair of 18 month does from the P@H adoption centre after all the local rescues said they had nobun old enough for him. He lived another two full happy years with them. And I regularly bond oldies here at the sanctuary with younger rabbits. I just bonded Atreides who will be ten next month with a 3 year old doe and a 6 year old buck. A younger partner often gives the older rabbit a new lease on life.

Back