• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch for inside shed?

Casco

Mama Doe
Do most people have a hutch / enclosed area inside their bunny shed? I'm wondering if I should buy something they can use as a sleeping area and if so whether it's safe to buy second hand or if I should buy a new hutch. I already have a hide from small paws but it's just one of the smaller ones. What does everyone else have?

There are no bunnies in the shed just now, I can see me tweaking the set up quite a lot once it's in use so I don't want to spend a lot on a hutch if I might end up not using it!

Hi, we are going to start converting our shed soon for our buns. We are planning on putting their current small hutch inside (they have a run for during the day) as a cosy sleeping area.

If I didn't have one already I'd probably buy one of those small ones for about £40 x

I've seen one on gumtree which looks nice (most look disgusting!) so if I can get my brother to pick it up for me I'll take that one - it's already painted white so it will fit in nicely in the shed as I've painted the inside of it white :lol: (checking first what paint she used)

Alternatively there's a guy who advertises on gumtree locally who makes rabbit hutches (horrid tiny ones :( as well as some which look a good size but not very pretty!) and also dog / cat kennels which might be better as it would be bigger than the sleeping area of a hutch I think.

I'd probably think carefully buying one second hand because of the RHDv2 virus. Basically we've just bought a second hand coop/run and when I mentioned it on here the general consensus was that it was risky.

We did decide to go ahead, but only because it was too good to pass up and also the lady was a rabbit rescuer and my dh could see them running around. We also took extra precautions when it got here by spraying the whole thing with Virkon disinfectant, literally every inch of it.

Yeah I've seen some really tiny ones and you almost don't want to give them your money because it's funding them making these horrible tiny prisons. On the other hand you know you only want it for this one purpose, not a full time home x

Yes rvhd2 is my concern, the shed is for foster rabbits and the rescue is still in the process of arranging vacs for all their rabbits so none are vaccinated as yet. There are no reported cases near me, and I would steam clean and disinfect well before use.

I feel if I decide to go for the dog kennel I'll be giving the guy some advice on his rabbit 'hutches' :lol:

Back to the drawing board, the hutch has been sold and I've decided against the guy that makes them (didn't like his reply to my email!)

No rush though so I'll keep my options opened.

You don't need a hutch inside the shed, the rabbits won't mind, so it's your preference really :thumb:

Back to the drawing board, the hutch has been sold and I've decided against the guy that makes them (didn't like his reply to my email!)

No rush though so I'll keep my options opened.

Like tonibun says, it is personal preference whether you have one at all. Sounds like the guy doesn't deserve your business x

They don't need one but they like a nice bolthole to help them feel secure. I'm personally a fan of the fleece 'kennels'. My bunnies love them and you can throw them in the machine when they need a wash. Another thing they like that is very cheap and easy is a giant plastic tub turned upside down with a door cut out (just be sure to sand down so there are no sharp edges).

You know your own bunnies though and I'm sure you'll find the right solution :)

I think I'll make do with the small hide and maybe a cardboard box just now and see how it goes. I like the look of the fleecy ones but do they not get chewed & peed on a lot? I know if I give my own bunnies anything soft that's just what they do with it! They look cosy though.

You know your own bunnies though and I'm sure you'll find the right solution :)

I don't though as the shed is for foster rabbits so they will change fairly regularly - trouble is they all have their own little preferences so what one will like the next won't :lol:

Hiya X we brought a hutch for inside the shed which we got from a shop on eBay as per picture 1
E50CF586-45EF-42E8-B950-BADCEF757E77_zpsjjgxj8tv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]. It was really nice but took up slot of room, so I changed it to a smaller one as shown in the picture 2.

Oh I see. Mine leave the fleece ones alone but I guess it depends on the bunny. If they get bored, lonely or frustrated they're more likely to chew things. If you're having a mix then I would maybe go for something bigger and more solid.

Sorry if that's not much help!

I've seen those smaller ones & thought they might be an option. They're not really much bigger than the small paws hide but I like that they are raised off the floor a bit which might help keep them warmer in winter.

As of last night the shed now has it's first resident so we'll see how it goes once it's in use.

We don't have a hutch in ours, pretty pointless as the bunnies sit looking out of the window.
We are however getting a maisonette for them to keep that bit warmer in winter :)

Coming back to this now as it's getting colder out there - I'm currently using a medium sized pet carrier stuffed with straw as a cosy place for them inside the shed but this means I don't have a large enough pet carrier to use if I need to take my own 3 to the vet :lol: so I either need to get a hutch / kennel type thing for inside the shed or buy a new pet carrier! I am currently fostering a pair and they are both a little on the chunky side which means I need something that's a good size. Have tried a cardboard box - it was destroyed rather quickly! Would a pet carrier be warm enough in the really cold weather, if I get a Snugglesafe and keep it filled with straw? I feel that plastic would be colder than wood but my current fosters are good at destroying things so plastic will last longer with them!

Alice has a very large shed all to herself and we have a smaller hutch type inside it with the door left open. I found she preferred to nest in the ample straw I provided. A cardboard box is suitable too if it's not eaten! or an old dog bed the plastic or woven type. She's in the house for the night now as she's a single lady, but she was an outdoor bun in the summer.

Back