• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pebbles is lonely

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
I've repeatedly told myself that I'm not getting Pebbles a friend. She's 9.5 years old, and has very bad eyes (cataracts), and I don't want the cycle of old rabbits, it's too stressful and heartbreaking. But the last few days she just seems so sad, and bored. And the neighbours cat came over, who used to LOVE Domino and groom him, and Pebbles never liked her at all, and now she's running up to her trying to get her to groom her.

I literally can't decide where my head or my heart is at. I miss Domino so much and seeing her alone makes me feel so much worse, but equally seeing her with another rabbit would feel so sad too. It's so difficult.

I saw a little rabbit called Percy at the RSPCA in Walsall, I'm way too far away and I can't go and see him so he's totally out of the question but I just keep looking at his picture and thinking about Pebbles.

I'm completely torn. I hate the idea of her being lonely and sad, but at 9.5 years old, is it even realistic to plan a future for her?

Poor you and poor Pebbles :( I'm dreading the day when I find myself in this situation. No useful advice but didn't want to read and run x

I was in your situation, I lost one of my boys and have a bereaved doe. She seems OK on her own, but I've got another boy from our rescue to try to bond with her (she's 7, he's about a year old). he's quite wizzy and she is unsure of him, so we're going slowly. Even if they don't bond I'll keep him. I remember seeing a post on FB that said adopting one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that animal. He's happy here (I hope!), he's getting more exercise and attention than he would at the rescue. I would say go for it, it might give your doe a new lease of life, and it will give the boy a new home. Could you ring and arrange for someone to bring him to you for a trial?

if you do decide how about an unwanted older rabbit, I'm having same dilemma however every time I search something pops up with mabels health and right now the abscess on her jaw, and it looks like she will need operation so will have to make her priority as she will need lots of aftercare, still I can't help but searching

Oh SJ - this is such a dilemma. I can understand how torn you must feel - since my post on your other thread my Rosie has deteriorated and I am now taking a day at a time with her. Then what will I do with BJ who is nearly 10 - the rescue where the bunnies board has an older girl................................... but do I? I spotted her when looking for Percy.

I will be driving down past Walsall in August on the way to my parents who live just off the A14 in Northants.................

I know exactly how you feel and was in a very similar position with Alfie a few mths ago after losing Lola, and trying to break the bunny owning cycle eventually. Alfie's 8 now, battling with inner ear abscesses and was generally run down from his health problems and losing Lola at the same time.

I was extremely lucky as the vet who's been treating Alfie's ears also had a lonely bunny and agreed to let her live with Alfie 'on loan' so to speak and, when the time comes, she will take bunny back and find her a new friend. I've actually grown very fond of Muffin and am going to find it very hard to let her go but hopefully that's a long way off. Alfie has been like a different bunny since Muffin arrived though and I actually think they're better suited than he and Lola ever were so it's the best thing I could have done for him.

What about a slightly younger boy if it's the idea of older bunnies that's 'putting you off' a little? Say around 4/5 or so? They've usually calmed down enough by that age to not be bothered about living with an older lady like Pebbles but will still, hopefully, have a good few years of life left with another doe after Pebbles goes.

I feel the same with the piggies. As much as I love them I don't want to keep owning them once one of them passes. I know that sounds very harsh but we don't go on holiday due to their care (no one can look after them like us!) but I know that the bereaved piggy will be so lonely when the time comes.

I still keep searching I really shouldn't as know bringing a new bun in is not a good idea with mabels health at moment, but I just seen another one that made me go :love: I hope he soon gets a home

I feel the same with the piggies. As much as I love them I don't want to keep owning them once one of them passes. I know that sounds very harsh but we don't go on holiday due to their care (no one can look after them like us!) but I know that the bereaved piggy will be so lonely when the time comes.

A very, very long time ago I kept a piggie and a bunny together (I knew no better and it was very common then). They had an incredibly strong bond and when the bun died the piggie was totally distraught. I didn't want to get another piggie so rehomed him to a colleague who was also a vet nurse who had a large group of pigs. I worked in a naval base then and smuggled this piggie in in a box and he stayed with us for the whole shift. When someone important came in the office I kept coughing to hide the noise of the squeak from under the table:)

It was sad but I knew he would have a lovely life with her as she was married to a vet and had lots of animals who were all very well cared for. Not sure I could do that now though - I think I have got a lot more attached to my animals the older I have grown.

No advice really but lots of sympathy. A difficult situation - can you spend extra time with her?

A very, very long time ago I kept a piggie and a bunny together (I knew no better and it was very common then). They had an incredibly strong bond and when the bun died the piggie was totally distraught. I didn't want to get another piggie so rehomed him to a colleague who was also a vet nurse who had a large group of pigs. I worked in a naval base then and smuggled this piggie in in a box and he stayed with us for the whole shift. When someone important came in the office I kept coughing to hide the noise of the squeak from under the table:)

It was sad but I knew he would have a lovely life with her as she was married to a vet and had lots of animals who were all very well cared for. Not sure I could do that now though - I think I have got a lot more attached to my animals the older I have grown.

I couldn't rehome either :( but, even when I had to split them for a day or so when Tilly was spayed, Hettie wouldn't eat until they were put back together :(

Hi everyone!
Thank you so much for the replies, I wasn't sure if anyone would remember me and it's lovely to see some familiar (as well as new) faces. I've decided that I am going to get her a friend, I thought I wanted to break the bunny cycle but actually, I don't. They make me so happy, and I love having them around. I used to post here a lot back in the day, and a lot of things have changed for me now, I have a condition called ME which means I constantly battle exhaustion, and so much else, and it means I can't work. When I get up, it's the rabbits that make me happy, they stop my home feeling less lonely, and I'd be lost without them.

I'm looking for a friend now, a small rabbit, because I struggle to lift things so the lighter the bunny the better for vet trips, carrying a carrier, etc, and also when I go to visit my Mum it's easier to make space at hers for little bunnies. I'm looking for a small boy to be her friend, and then...when my old girl has had enough, and I'm looking again, I will get an equally small girly for the same reasons.

I'm looking for a rabbit between the ages of 1-4 really, not young and boisterous but friendly. But I'd rather not bond myself, and I don't want her travelling far so its a bit difficult. I dont mind bonding but I'd rather not if possible.

Back