• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pinworms!

Toast&Marmalade

Young Bun
Hi all

I was just sitting next to my year old female Rex bunny out on our lawn, and I could suddenly hear her stomach gurgling (which started to make me feel anxious as we have been through GI stasis with her last year, but she has been fine since). She is acting perfectly normally now. Anyway, she then did 2 poos and of course I looked at them to see they were normal shape and size and then I noticed IT!!! A little white thing on her poo, I touched it gently and it started to move (gross!!!). I've identified it as a pinworm.

Is there something I can buy to give her, or does she need a vet trip (which I am very worried about doing in this hot weather and stressing her out). She's totally fine in herself. Her and her buddy have clean, spacious accommodation (shed and connecting run 24/7) and spend a lot of the day and evening loose in our garden, and are healthy, happy rabbits!!

Opinions please!

Thanks
Jo
xx

When my bunny Cookie had them when she was little she was put on a course of Panacur that we got from the vet (not sure if it is available elsewhere?) I hid it on her greens/kale (I'm pretty sure her sisters were treated aswell). I've never seen them since (which is lucky as she had loads and it was totally gross!)

Many thanks for your reply :)

I would have to treat both my bunns for sure. I shall have a look around the net, but no doubt I will have to take them to the vets. I have got air-con in the car (and it's air-con at the vets), so hopefully they will be OK :(

Thanks again,
Jo
xx

Crash has been on Panacur before and you can get it online, but for safety I would go through your vet to check the dosing and be shown how to use it, you have to turn it to certain point each time you dose so its a little fiddly and confusing if youve not used it before. Also, you would need two sets, one for each bunny. You should be able to ring up and order it then be shown at the reception desk how to do the dose, rather than go through a check up, as its a wormer like for dogs and cats you can just order.

Just ordered some Panacur worming paste from Vet UK (x2), which will hopefully do the trick. Reading the reviews on there, it seems that worming your rabbits 3 times a year is an absolute must to keep worms at bay xx

(Sorry, just seen the last post, thanks ;) )

Last edited:
Just ordered some Panacur worming paste from Vet UK (x2), which will hopefully do the trick. Reading the reviews on there, it seems that worming your rabbits 3 times a year is an absolute must to keep worms at bay xx

(Sorry, just seen the last post, thanks ;) )

I have never wormed my rabbits before (in 20+ years) and most people who post on here don't seem to either. Not routinely anyway :)

A nine day course should conquer the pin worms and they'll be OK again.

Before Crash had Panacur (his Brother died and it was to be sure of EC) I would never have and never have wormed a rabbit, its unusual for them to get worms, all the vets ive seen said the same and no need to use preventives on a regular basis. Although if gets them obvious treat and if its a problem specific for your buns I would possibly do it yearly, but not sure as I havent had the problem before.

I've just been reading this thread about pinworms and checked Billy's poo - are these pinworms?! or just mucus/ stringy poo? They're not moving even if prodded. He does have an uncomfortable tummy at the moment! (trying to work out the reason). Are there any other symptoms of worms?
ceco2.jpg

ceco.jpg

Last edited:
Your best option if you aren't sure is to take a poop sample to the vet. They can stick it under the microscope and work out what it is and if it's a parasite what type :)

Your best option if you aren't sure is to take a poop sample to the vet. They can stick it under the microscope and work out what it is and if it's a parasite what type :)
Thanks Tamsin, I found this page online and Billy's poop looks just like the ones with parasites in :shock:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm
lucky I read this thread just out of interest! I've ordered some Panacur and will go back to the vet if it doesn't fix it.
Jo I hope your bunny gets better soon x

I've just been reading this thread about pinworms and checked Billy's poo - are these pinworms?! or just mucus/ stringy poo? They're not moving even if prodded. He does have an uncomfortable tummy at the moment! (trying to work out the reason). Are there any other symptoms of worms?
ceco2.jpg

ceco.jpg

Is all of his fecal output like that ?

No, that was a weird cecotrophe he left in the potty, his other poos are the normal dry ones but still smaller/harder than they're meant to be.

No, that was a weird cecotrophe he left in the potty, his other poos are the normal dry ones but still smaller/harder than they're meant to be.

Yes they def are cecos - his normal poos would still be smaller, but hopefully getting bigger soon :D

I would mention all this to your Vet. The Vet may want to consider the possibility of cecal impaction, which I think I posted a link about in your thread

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

A heavy overload of Pinworms in the cecum can lead to cecal impaction. As you will see from the link, symptoms of cecal impaction can initially mimic those of Dental problems. Symptoms also include small fecal poos, anorexia, abdominal pain and 'odd' cecotrophs that may be left uneaten.

Thanks I've just looked at the link, it does sound like a possibility. It sounds like it's treated similarly to the way I'm treating him at the moment? (Apart from 'Prostaglandin administration')? His drinking is back to normal now so I think he's getting properly hydrated so no need for more fluids (the vet was happy with his hydration last time I went). I'm wary of taking him to the vet again as he is getting so stressed out about it, so if I can carry on with treatment at home I'd prefer that. Or do you think I should go back to the vet?

Thanks I've just looked at the link, it does sound like a possibility. It sounds like it's treated similarly to the way I'm treating him at the moment? (Apart from 'Prostaglandin administration')? His drinking is back to normal now so I think he's getting properly hydrated so no need for more fluids (the vet was happy with his hydration last time I went). I'm wary of taking him to the vet again as he is getting so stressed out about it, so if I can carry on with treatment at home I'd prefer that. Or do you think I should go back to the vet?

If it were me I would telephone the Vet and discuss things with him/her, then take it from there xx

I would carry on as you're doing, and see how he goes. No point stressing him out again, or his eating may go downhill which is the very last thing you want. You're doing everything to get his gut working and I hope he improves over the weekend.

If there's a downturn, you can always ring the surgery tomorrow morning (if they are open - mine opens until lunchtime)

Good luck xx

I would carry on as you're doing, and see how he goes. No point stressing him out again, or his eating may go downhill which is the very last thing you want. You're doing everything to get his gut working and I hope he improves over the weekend.

If there's a downturn, you can always ring the surgery tomorrow morning (if they are open - mine opens until lunchtime)

Good luck xx
Thank you, I don't know if I'm being thick but if it was cecum impaction then I think the treatment is the same as what he's getting now xx

Thank you, I don't know if I'm being thick but if it was cecum impaction then I think the treatment is the same as what he's getting now xx

You're welcome :)

Yes, I think you have all the meds for that and are keeping a close eye on him. When you took him in for a check the vet would have told you if they felt it was cecal impaction. I would keep going as you are and ring the vet if he doesn't improve and definitely if things get worse xx

Back