• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stray bunny...do I keep her? Need help deciding what to do...

jay

Mama Doe
Help - I need some advice!!!

Last month I was given a stray bunny which my BIL had found whilst at work. She had apparently been spotted before but no one had been able to catch her, he did and brought her to me. I really didn't think she was going to make it but after a few days she seemed to come round, started eating and pooping! Yeh!

I did a search for her owners which turned up nothing, took her to the vets and no microchip. The vet thought she had been out quite a while as she was very thin and unkempt - and still a baby at about 6 months old.

So...it's time to make a decision - do I keep her? I have already contacted Captain Helen at Acomb rabbit rescue and asked about having her rehomed but now I've done that I'm not sure I can let her go. (Emails along these lines...Helen please rehome her...wait I'm not sure...no, take her...erm...I might have changed my mind again). She is an absolute character, so friendly, very active and has a huge personality.

That said Helen has told me that she thinks she is a continental giant! :shock: Where on earth would I keep her? I do wonder if she is a cross as she has old english spot markings. Could I bond her with Ruby and Benny?

She is currently living in a small puppy cage under my desk which is too small for her. She needs loads of exercise and races around the house in huge leaps! I think she is also a bit hormonal. She has nipped a few times, sprayed the back wall under my desk with wee and keeps circling me! I have her Beatrix.

I know nothing about Continental giants and can't really afford the money, space or time but my goodness...she is soooo lovely! :love:

Helping me work (this week)
5ff85738-4bdd-4e7c-9ebf-a165e34e6dc4_zpsxye1monu.jpg

On the window sill in one leap :shock: (this week)
D0A5E36F-7FAF-44E8-9B5C-1FAD600F4449_zps8dkme2xn.jpg

Ruby wondering who is in the kitchen...week one
0042BE98-70B0-4B1F-982F-571854E5812F_zpsvpqdckgd.jpg

Just started eating ok but still very quiet (week one)
F8D2C441-C0B3-4457-B529-8DC07B57F5B2_zpsq2bjuquh.jpg

Last edited:
The cage is far too small for her as you say, and if she doesn't have access to the house 24/7 I would think very carefully about whether you can sort a pen with suitable size for her pronto. If not - then I'm afraid it's in her best interests to rehome. Only you can know what's doable and thus whether to keep her not. If she's going to be kept in the dog cage for much longer though and she does need to be confined to this at times then it really is best to let her go to someone who can give her what she needs sadly. It would never be good to rescue a bunny and have it worse off :(

She is really beautiful though!!! And well done for helping her in the meantime x

She has the run of the house as I work from home and at night the office. Although she does like to sit in the puppy pen and sleep. She's currently in the kitchen with me sat in a nest of socks she's just made from the washing basket! :lol:
398D6A7C-C352-498E-94CF-C45CF0A8CAE7_zps5q8c9rge.jpg

She is utterly gorgeous - no wonder you're very tempted to keep her. I just love the sound of her character too...:love:

The main problems I see with keeping her are the costs- spaying, vaccines etc - and the space issue although if she has the run of the house most of the time, then that's okay - but it depends if you can cope everyday/all day with such an energetic bunster.

Bonding 1 pair and a single can be done - but there is the risk of all the buns falling out and you end up with 3 single buns.

I know full well what I would do - but that's how I ended up with 9 rabbits. So try to think what is actually best for the rabbit...easier said than done;)

Either way - she is safe now, and if it wasn't for you - she would probably be at the bridge now - so what a great job you've done :D

She's currently in the kitchen with me sat in a nest of socks she's just made from the washing basket! :lol:
If that's not character I don't know what is! No advice but to suggest you work out your finances and go from there :) Best of luck, whatever your decision.

I always go with my heart but probably why I never have lots of money, so don't want to advise. Well done for rescuing her anyway.

She is gorgeous!!

Just a little random...

She looks similar in size to Crash Bunny, how much does she weigh at 6 months? he is 7 months and just a bunny mongrel, just thinking it could be she is a mongrel type like most pets at home buns are, they arent small either. Crash is 7 months old and 2.35kg

edit: If I had the money I'd want her, but I dont have pennies for everything she needs and then sep set up before bonding or if it doesnt work out. :(

She has the run of the house as I work from home and at night the office. Although she does like to sit in the puppy pen and sleep. She's currently in the kitchen with me sat in a nest of socks she's just made from the washing basket! :lol:
398D6A7C-C352-498E-94CF-C45CF0A8CAE7_zps5q8c9rge.jpg

Oops, sorry hun I read it as she needed hours of exercise so had a period of time she was allowed out of the cage for this. So you have the space :D Just as others have said work out the finances - I hope it turns out that you are able to keep her as you'd like then x

Edited to say, yes lots of character :lol: Piwi does this when I'm pegging the washing out and I pop the washing on the run whilst I'm pegging bits. She tries to nibble them :lol:

Yep, she is a she - the vet, a vet nurse and I all had a good look and were all in agreement!

If I'm being practical I need to let her go, Ben and Ruby have to come first. Although they are outdoor bunnies they did have lots of indoor time which they can't do at the moment and Ruby seems quite annoyed by it...lots of staring though the patio windows longingly! Whilst its warm and they can run round outside and I can sit with them on the decking and work its fine but in the winter that's not really going to be possible (brrr!)! I do miss my time with them - Beatrix needs a lot of attention. It would also break my heart if Ruby and Benny's bond broke down - they really are in love. I am gutted because realistically Beatrix needs bonding with a male and needs a big outdoor area to run round in and I just can't give her that. This is so tough. :( I just hope when she gets re-homed I will still get to hear how she is doing. :( (Yorkshire bunny people...anyone interested? I really want her to stay near!)

She's really beautiful. I'm so sorry that it sounds like you may have a difficult decision to make. I hope that if you do have to re-home then you will be able to keep in touch.

We just re-homed two lovely buns from someone who had a change of circumstances, but loved them very much. We have said that we are more than happy to keep them updated with how they are getting on. Just the odd email and pictures .etc. x

She is so beautiful; I would find it really hard to let her go. Is she definitely a Continental Giant, though? I had an Old English rabbit as a child and she was pretty big but nowhere near giant size.

Giants weigh 6kg-10kg when fully grown according to this, so at six months she would be about 4kg already at least. How much does she weigh now?

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/breeds/rabbits/continental-giant/

Last edited:
I think she is a cross - but then again she eats sooooo much and has grown whilst she has been with me. No idea how old she actually is so it's hard to tell, she could be nearly fully grown or have a long way to go.

I haven't been on here for a while, just been looking in from time to time. But....

OMG! She is sooo beautiful. I would be doing all I could to keep her. :lol:

She is so beautiful; I would find it really hard to let her go. Is she definitely a Continental Giant, though? I had an Old English rabbit as a child and she was pretty big but nowhere near giant size.

Giants weigh 6kg-10kg when fully grown according to this, so at six months she would be about 4kg already at least. How much does she weigh now?

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/breeds/rabbits/continental-giant/

Looks like a Giant Papillon also known as a Checkered Giant. http://www.bunnyhugga.com/a-to-z/breeds/giant-papillon.html

In her best interests and those of Roo and Ben she needs rehoming. I'm getting some time with her as the rescue doesn't have space and obviously it's not urgent! She longs to be outside but our garden is too small for four buns.

Back