• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lethargic rabbit

gizmo01

Warren Scout
Just looking for any suggestions/ideas about my 7/8 year old lop. he has been out with his two girl buns both about 7 today keeping nice and cool, come to the evening where they normally all run around like silly things and he is all quite. the girls are still hopping round causing trouble but he is quite lethargic, I can just walk up to him and pick him up! this is very unusual for percy. as far as I know he is eating normally, no signs of a respiratory, not too hot or anything. just slow, un-interested and only moves when he absolutely has too. found him hiding in the flower bush hedge twice today. movement all normal and he still kicked me. I'm probably just being paranoid thats he isn't being his usual grumpy, playful self. any ideas?

Make sure he is eating / drinking / weeing / pooing OK overnight. Offer him some of his favourite food to tempt him.

If he isn't right in the morning, I would get him checked out by the vet tomorrow. Bunnies can go downhill really quickly, and often our instincts that something isn't right prove to be correct - and you have picked up on his change in behaviour quickly. Hopefully, he will pick up as the evening cools down.

If he refuses everything, is still lethargic or deteriorates, I would look at seeing the out of hours vet tonight.

Last edited:
Just looking for any suggestions/ideas about my 7/8 year old lop. he has been out with his two girl buns both about 7 today keeping nice and cool, come to the evening where they normally all run around like silly things and he is all quite. the girls are still hopping round causing trouble but he is quite lethargic, I can just walk up to him and pick him up! this is very unusual for percy. as far as I know he is eating normally, no signs of a respiratory, not too hot or anything. just slow, un-interested and only moves when he absolutely has too. found him hiding in the flower bush hedge twice today. movement all normal and he still kicked me. I'm probably just being paranoid thats he isn't being his usual grumpy, playful self. any ideas?

I'm sorry gizmo, Percy doesn't sound right at all :(

Have you got a good out of hours vet you can use? He could benefit from an exam asap and also some fluids. Have you tried tempting him with some fresh herbs or rose leaves?

I may be paranoid like you feel you are, but rabbits can deteriorate so suddenly I wouldn't like to risk it.

Good luck xx

think he may of been dehydrated, silly billy hasn't been drinking enough. syringe him some water what he couldn't get enough off, his behaviour has started to pick up now I've brought him in he has started washing, looked around the house. going to try giving him some of his fav vegs now then off to the vets in the morning. thanks everyone xx

think he may of been dehydrated, silly billy hasn't been drinking enough. syringe him some water what he couldn't get enough off, his behaviour has started to pick up now I've brought him in he has started washing, looked around the house. going to try giving him some of his fav vegs now then off to the vets in the morning. thanks everyone xx

Aaawww good to hear :D

I wondered, with this hot weather, whether it might have been he needed extra fluids.
I hope he continues to do well :wave:

just an update rang the out of hours vets for advice, ended up taking him in. they are keeping him for two hourly feeds and fluids. turns out his temperature is low which is really weird considering the weather. they are sure he will be ok but just a percussion mainly due to lack of interest in food and low temperature, his gut and every else where all good.

thanks for all your help, glad i rang just had this instinct that something wasn't right. he was just his usual rude self at the vets :) and costing me a small fortune. but he is my grumpy git and i love him :) xx

just an update rang the out of hours vets for advice, ended up taking him in. they are keeping him for two hourly feeds and fluids. turns out his temperature is low which is really weird considering the weather. they are sure he will be ok but just a percussion mainly due to lack of interest in food and low temperature, his gut and every else where all good.

thanks for all your help, glad i rang just had this instinct that something wasn't right. he was just his usual rude self at the vets :) and costing me a small fortune. but he is my grumpy git and i love him :) xx

Sending loads of love and good vibes for his speedy recovery!

It sounds like you have a good vet and you did the right thing :D

Back