• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping bunny cool in this heat

chareg96

Young Bun
Hi everyone :) as lovely this weather is for us humans, I understand that rabbits can't sweat nor pant like humans and dogs so I was wondering how you know your bunny is nice and cool? Phoebe has recently been spayed and she's still in her cage in our living room which heats up quite quick due to the large window. There's no where else we can put her but I've shut the curtains and got a fan on, I've also put some frozen water bottles in there. am I doing everything right?

Hi, I've got 2 house bunnies and although one is free range, I do have my little girl in a pen.

Both bunnies have ceramic tiles available to them which they both love lying on, I'm changing their water every 4 hours or so, so it's fresh and cool for them. Bailey has a fan, as he's suffering the worst, not blowing directly on him, but it's on and although he doesn't like it, he'll happily lie down about a meter away where it's not blowing so much.

Bella is just an idiot, as she much prefers to lie in her little hay bed than lie anywhere else, so I've hidden an ice pack under it and so she's happy! :) and I'm also given them slightly more fresh veg and herbs dampened in water so again encouraging them to drink plenty so they don't get dehydrated. Bailey also has a Damp towel on the floor, but this morning he's peed on it.. :lol: so guessing he's not keen on that anymore! Haha!

plus we've got all the blinds down on all our windows which is keeping it cool as we are in a bungalow so thankfully it's not overly hot!

Hope your bunny is coping okay xx

Hi, I've got 2 house bunnies and although one is free range, I do have my little girl in a pen.

Both bunnies have ceramic tiles available to them which they both love lying on, I'm changing their water every 4 hours or so, so it's fresh and cool for them. Bailey has a fan, as he's suffering the worst, not blowing directly on him, but it's on and although he doesn't like it, he'll happily lie down about a meter away where it's not blowing so much.

Bella is just an idiot, as she much prefers to lie in her little hay bed than lie anywhere else, so I've hidden an ice pack under it and so she's happy! :) and I'm also given them slightly more fresh veg and herbs dampened in water so again encouraging them to drink plenty so they don't get dehydrated. Bailey also has a Damp towel on the floor, but this morning he's peed on it.. :lol: so guessing he's not keen on that anymore! Haha!

plus we've got all the blinds down on all our windows which is keeping it cool as we are in a bungalow so thankfully it's not overly hot!

Hope your bunny is coping okay xx

Hello :)

Charlie has got a frozen Icepod which I ordered off ebay. He also has the frozen blue cool packs which you put in a picnic basket - (I drained them and refilled them with tap water just incase) He also has a ceramic tile which I keep in the freezer. I rotate these all day and I wet his ears and head throughout the day. I put ice cubes in his water bowl or and keep his water chilled with a brita water in the fridge. In the past I tried to make mint ice cubes - I blended mint and water and added into an ice tray. Charlie wasn't interested in that. However I will say he loves to lick his icepod - he loves licking cold frozen water :p

Back