• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits loosing weight drastically

Azka

New Kit
I have a pair of rabbits since last 4 months..female rabbit giving birth every month..after 1st pregnancy and births she was normal but after giving birth second time she started loosing weight..the male rabbit is also losing weight ..although they are eating normally..there is no change in their dietary habit...I give them grass after every. 4 hours and they finish it within minutes...female rabbit is feeding her babies so it can be a reason for her weakness but what's wrong with the male..I'm taking good care of them but still their weight lose is really making me worried..plz help me with this issue as I don't have any access to some vet

I have a pair of rabbits since last 4 months..female rabbit giving birth every month..after 1st pregnancy and births she was normal but after giving birth second time she started loosing weight..the male rabbit is also losing weight ..although they are eating normally..there is no change in their dietary habit...I give them grass after every. 4 hours and they finish it within minutes...female rabbit is feeding her babies so it can be a reason for her weakness but what's wrong with the male..I'm taking good care of them but still their weight lose is really making me worried..plz help me with this issue as I don't have any access to some vet

Firstly, please ensure that the Doe cannot have any more litters for the foreseeable future. It would be extremely detrimental to her health to do so. I hope the Buck is now housed well away from her ...........

What else are you feeding the Rabbits apart from grass every 4 hours ?

How are your Rabbits housed ? How many Kits were in each litter and how many remain with her now ?

Are they showing any other symptoms such as drinking a lot more than normal, producing abnormal feces ?

Are they all bright and active ?

I am asking lots of questions to try to be able to offer some advice, but really unexplained and extreme weightloss is a serious issue that does need prompt Veterinary attention.

I am assuming that you are not in the UK ? You say that you do not have access to a Vet, is this because there are no Vets at all in the area you live ?

Back