• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's everyone doing to keep their rabbits cool?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Just in case there is something I haven't thought of!

The girls are in their run that has lots of shade and the boys are in the big run which is lovely and shady too. All have either a frozen water bottle or cool pad. I can take them out some chilled spring greens.

Is there anything else you would recommend? The boys in particular seem to be completely flopped out so I worry if they are ok or maybe they are just relaxing?

Thanks in advance x

Frozen water bottles wrapped in towels are a good idea, they cool the air down around them. I wouldn't chill veg, just give them a swirl in some cold water.

Frozen water bottles wrapped in towels are a good idea, they cool the air down around them. I wouldn't chill veg, just give them a swirl in some cold water.

Yes, I agree as chilled greens may give them tummy ache

If you have a few ceramic tiles lying about then you could put them in the freezer for half an hour and then put them in the runs.

If your Rabbits are OK with being handled then I'd dampen down their ears/back of their necks with cool water. But if the Rabbits are stress heads I wouldn't do that.

These links give useful advice about coping with Rabbits in Hot weather :

https://www.saveafluff.co.uk/rabbit-info/summer-care

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/sunstroke.htm

I've currently got ice pods, frozen water bottles, rabbits with damp ears, shade... where are they? In the one bit of sun coming through the run! .. At least Donny is on the cool slab, he does worry me sometimes!

I've just painted the downstairs windows of my house with Greenhouse Whitewash (sprayed onto the outside, 3 layers), available from garden centers:

cool-greenhouse.jpg

My neighbours think I'm a nut but it works. Can also be used on any runs with a perspex roof.
It can also be used on shed felt, will help the felt reflect light and heat rather than absorb it.

Thanks for all the replies :) I haven't tried dampening down their ears, so might try that.

They seem to be doing okay, Ive been changing their water to keep it cool and I've seen at least one of them leaning on a bottle. The others don't seem too bothered.

I wouldn't chill veg, just give them a swirl in some cold water.

Oh, I don't freeze them or anything or is not straight out the fridge a good idea either?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies :) I haven't tried dampening down their ears, so might try that.

They seem to be doing okay, I been changing their water to keep it cool and I've seen at least one of them leaning on a bottle. The others don't seem too bothered.

Oh, I don't freeze them or anything or is not straight out the fridge a good idea either?

Not really, it can cause tummy problems for some Rabbits

I've got cool packs in cotton covers outside, a fan inside, spray mist for ears and I find a wet (but wrung out) towel or blanket draped over the run works wonders at keeping the air cool. I also drench veg in cool water and give it to them still soaking to keep up their fluid intake. :)

Mine are cool most of the time up here, it's been wet and windy today, think we might be getting summer tomorrow :D as much as I love the sun, I do dread the heat with bunnies, so some advantages of living here I guess. Hope all your bunnies are coping wherever you are xx

Thanks for the replies.

I've got cool packs in cotton covers outside, a fan inside, spray mist for ears and I find a wet (but wrung out) towel or blanket draped over the run works wonders at keeping the air cool. I also drench veg in cool water and give it to them still soaking to keep up their fluid intake. :)

I like the wet towel idea, think I'll try that :)

Hope you get 'some' sun, Pets Mum, although the buns might not agree x

We had Ragnar on the sofa this afternoon as his room was getting a bit warm and it was far too warm outside. I've been wiping his ears with a bit of water and he seemed to really perk up after that! Other than that, got a fan on high and a frozen bottle that he seems to enjoy licking and then nudges it out the way to eat the cold hay underneath :lol: We're just not touching him too much, just chatting to him and offering him bits of hay, just so he knows we're not ignoring him, just don't want to get him too hot by stroking him!

13729036_275908576109983_8176215815171419969_n.jpg

Hi MrsC :wave: He looks chilled out there :)

We put the fan on for Buffy (she's the only one living inside) and she seemed to like it. She moved closer (a safe distance, of course) and had one ear up, blowing in the breeze :)

Hope you are doing ok at the moment x

They seem to be doing okay, Ive been changing their water to keep it cool and I've seen at least one of them leaning on a bottle. The others don't seem too bothered.

I have always fed my veg straight out of the fridge. They love it, and no problems :D

No bunnies here but, to keep the piggies and Molly cat cool I am keeping all the curtains and blinds drawn, it's a bit like living in a cave but it keeps the heat out!

Have a fan on in the kitchen/diner as that is where the piggies live. They have a water bottle and a bowl of water although they rarely seem to drink.

They each had a chunk of cucumber yesterday evening too.

I'm just relieved we have only got a few days of it and not weeks/months. I can't stand it - heaven knows what it must feel like with a big fur coat on, our poor darlings. Well, I always make sure their water bowls are changed regularly and topped up - it's handy working from home at least I can keep an eye on things. They have a large fenced in area just for them and they have their bunny house and Kirk's house opposite is left open (he sadly died a few months back) so they go in their too - very shaded. Lots of shade. Their houses even have electricity. Might even get the fan up on the top later if it gets really bad - they won't be able to get to the wire. I really must put some pictures on of their new place.. it's very smart. Going to check on them now actually :D

Rabbits cope really well in the heat, they chill out and accept it. I put wood in front of hutches which helps as I am south facing! I think it's the ones who are not too well which suffer most. One summer it was over 100 and that was in the shade! I tried spraying cool water on some but they dashed away, making them even hotter :roll:

Hi MrsC :wave: He looks chilled out there :)

We put the fan on for Buffy (she's the only one living inside) and she seemed to like it. She moved closer (a safe distance, of course) and had one ear up, blowing in the breeze :)

Hope you are doing ok at the moment x

Aww I can imagine your Buffy's ear waving like a flag :lol: MrC found some tiles in the attic, Ragnar didn't seem to keen to start with but now he's happily sat on it in his tray on the sofa :) So he seems a lot happier! I think he's also liking the damp ears, he seems to also be sticking them up for the fan's breeze!

I'm ok, thank you for asking. I'm going to do an update on the thread, don't want to take over this one ;) Hope you're keeping well too, staying cool! x

We're letting ours out in the evening onto the cool grass: we don't usually bother during the week but after lying under the little hutch all day (coolest place, north0facing and behind the house so great) I thought they might appreciate some leg-stretching time. Little bleeders didn't want to come in last night though :lol:

Apart from doing everything that everyone has already suggested, I also put a fan facing the hutch too, just make sure that they have somewhere to escape from the heat too :)

Rabbits cope really well in the heat, they chill out and accept it. I put wood in front of hutches which helps as I am south facing! I think it's the ones who are not too well which suffer most. One summer it was over 100 and that was in the shade! I tried spraying cool water on some but they dashed away, making them even hotter :roll:

Sorry, I have to strongly disagree with that TB. Rabbits can cope with very cold weather (provided they are appropriately housed) but they cope poorly with extremely hot weather, which can prove to be fatal if significant measures are not taken to keep the Rabbits as cool as possible

http://www.huntersbarvets.co.uk/heat-stroke-in-rabbits.html

Back