• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Telegraph article about RHD2

It's all over Facebook, but in case you aren't, you might not have seen it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...no-uk-vaccine-is-killing-hundreds-of-british/

Oh, and we seem to be fairly consistently calling it RHD2 now instead of RHDV2/RHVD2/VHD2 etc!

I wonder if Mr Smith will be vaccinating his remaining Rabbits ?

I honestly cant understand why DEFRA is not more involved with the RHD2 issue. For a start I dont think any Rabbit Shows should go ahead at the moment.

If there were to be a disease outbreak of a similar nature in, for example, pigs then DEFRA would have all Pig Farmers/Breeders in lock down. But not Rabbits it seems :cry:

It's not a bad article...but it's also not a great article. To the uninitiated reader I think it would appear as if there is no vaccine, but of course we know there is a vaccine available, it's just not a 'uk vaccine' in the way they're calling it. Hopefully though with their large readership, it will raise awareness and get people to hunt out more information. I spoke to this journalist earlier in the week too, but (understandably I guess) it seems that losing 10 is more in keeping with the story than losing 1, having 1 sick who recovered, and all the others being ok!

You're right about the lockdown Jane - remember foot and mouth disease, it was exactly that. No livestock movements (in fact no people movement either at one point I think) in/out of infected zones and massive restrictions on movement. I guess though that a big difference with RHD is that there is also a population of wild hosts which aren't possible to control.

Daily Mail have read the Telegraph's article and decided to get in on the act too!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...irus-sweeps-UK-kills-400-pets-six-months.html

Well I suppose it is at least getting the message out that RHD2 exists. I am sure many 'ordinary' Pet Rabbit owners still dont know about it. I phoned around a few local Vets last week and was really disappointed that some had no knowledge of the problem at all. I spoke with a VN or a Vet, not 'just' a Receptionist :cry:

It was also mentioned on "the Wright stuff" this morning in their newspaper reviews,and they mentioned too how horrible myxi is as well.More people getting informed the better.

I've just had my two vaccinated against it...I do have a very rabbit savy vet thought (It's Frances HB's practice) and they are the ones who let me know about it. I hadn't even realised it was different to normal VHD/RHD or whatever the correct term is!

I've just had my two vaccinated against it...I do have a very rabbit savy vet thought (It's Frances HB's practice) and they are the ones who let me know about it. I hadn't even realised it was different to normal VHD/RHD or whatever the correct term is!

You don't know what their status is with supply of vaccine, do you? I saw on Facebook that they'd run out but haven't had it confirmed.

Back