• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued a Young Pigeon - Any Risks to Buns ??

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
I found a young pigeon approx 7 weeks old a week ago. She is very thin and I have her in my living room in a large dog crate. She is still learning to eat seed so I am having to force feed pees twice a day - steep learning curve that was! Looks like I will have to look after her and feed her up for at least a month. We have named her BB. As I was calling her BirdBird so have shortened it. She is very sweet and is perching on the branch I put across the cage.

I am washung my hands in antibacterial soap, spraying them with antibacterial spray and antibacterial cream. I am wearing a white lab type coat over my clothes when feeding her. The bunnies are not allowed in the living roon. I am anxious about diseases but I rang my vet and she said no risk . Will my babies be ok??

Bird droppings carry diseases. However, from what you have described I cannot see any risk to your rabbits.

To put things into perspective, we very often have birds perching on the side of the rabbit run. I also have several bird feeders which I keep filled up. The rabbits have grass and forage from the garden and the garden is full of birds. I obviously take some precautions, such as thoroughly washing hands, making sure as far as possible that grass and forage does not have bird droppings on it etc. But I'm sure that doesn't guarantee things 100%.

I think with the measures you are taking the risk to your rabbits is minimal if not zero.

I hope the little one survives and thrives.

Thanks Omi. My buns have free range time also in the garden where I too feed the birds so they have no doubt come into contact with bird bacteria ! Somewhere along the line overcthe past 7 years. I guess it's just with the we bird in the house my anxiety flatest. Yes I hope u can fatten her up so she can be released at done point.

I found a young pigeon approx 7 weeks old a week ago. She is very thin and I have her in my living room in a large dog crate. She is still learning to eat seed so I am having to force feed pees twice a day - steep learning curve that was! Looks like I will have to look after her and feed her up for at least a month. We have named her BB. As I was calling her BirdBird so have shortened it. She is very sweet and is perching on the branch I put across the cage.

I am washung my hands in antibacterial soap, spraying them with antibacterial spray and antibacterial cream. I am wearing a white lab type coat over my clothes when feeding her. The bunnies are not allowed in the living roon. I am anxious about diseases but I rang my vet and she said no risk . Will my babies be ok??

Hi Nicky

What a lovely thing you're doing :love:

There's no risk to the rabbits, but perhaps more of a risk to yourself. That said, my elderly friend who has asthma found a homing pigeon and had to rehabilitate it before letting it go, and he kept it in his flat with no ill effects to his health.

I hope you manage to fatten BB up :D

Thanks Max. Might get hubby to bring home a mask thing for when I am feeding her just in case. I am surprised I am not I'll more the amount I kiss Oliver and Cody! That's reassuring about ur friend. Hey I'm trying my best for ghd wee BB even though I am not sure what I'm doing ! Have joined a pigeon forum lol and they have been very helpful. Who would have thought a young pigeon would need probiotic yoghurt! .

Thanks Max. Might get hubby to bring home a mask thing for when I am feeding her just in case. I am surprised I am not I'll more the amount I kiss Oliver and Cody! That's reassuring about ur friend. Hey I'm trying my best for ghd wee BB even though I am not sure what I'm doing ! Have joined a pigeon forum lol and they have been very helpful. Who would have thought a young pigeon would need probiotic yoghurt! .

You've joined a pigeon Forum! Yay good on you :D

No, I certainly didn't know that a young pigeon needed that.
You're trying your best and giving your love, and that's brilliant in my book :D

Back