• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insurance?

VickyC83

Mama Doe
Hi

I'm looking for some opinions on bunny insurance. I've had insurance with Petplan for over 4 years - I've just had my renewal come through which states the price is increasing to around £180 for the year, and as Bunzle is now over 7, the excess is £80, plus I have to also pay the first 20%. I've never made a claim on it before, and the underwriter notes also confirm they won't cover anything to do with his eyes, ears, teeth, gastro/digestive system or facial abscesses. :evil::shock:

I'm just wondering if there is any point of having the insurance seeing as it doesn't seem to cover anything that could go wrong. Can anyone think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned that woul be worth keeping the cover for?

What do you guys do regarding insurance? :)

Oh wow. I can't help at all, mine are still very young but I'll be following this with interest because I am also with Petplan!

Yeah, makes you wonder what it does cover, doesn't it :shock:

I'm with Petplan, but mine are young too. I must admit to not reading the small print in detail either :oops: x

I've never bothered with insurance - we just pay as we go and have definitely paid out less in the last 10 years than I would have had with insurance...including jabs, dental work, a very expensive emergency "fur ball" removal and numerous antibiotics for infections. I've never had more than two bunnies at a time though. The "fur ball" payment did have to be split between savings and credit card though! Still it was an 8 year old bunny, not sure he would have been covered on insurance.

I always have insurance and it has paid for itself, just about anyway!

Not sure I'd bother with that exclusion list though! I'm with petplan and all of that is covered except Poppy isn't covered for respiratory stuff as she had a respiratory infection whilst she was at the rescue and before I adopted her so it was preexisting.

I am considering cancelling it for the buns though, we can afford emergencies and my 3 at the moment have never had a claim but I must have spent hundreds! On the other hand when we had Farore she racked up almost a grand in 3 days before losing her fight. Her insurance was very worth it!

When I got Esme's renewal through a year or two ago I gave serious consideration to cancelling. I have a chat with my vet about the things that could go wrong that would be expensive, ie £500+ and we decided the most likely ones to crop up:

Ear abscesses (I have a lot of lops so even more relevant)
Surgery for blockage
Broken leg
Serious facial/dental abscess
Kidney/bladder issues
Liver torsion
Thymoma (fairly high chance you'd opt not to have surgery anyway).

So there's not a huge amount on that list that's actually covered.

Back