• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please

ecotrace

New Kit
We had to put our lovely Bramble to sleep this morning, she was 10 or 11 and she's been in poor health for a little while and it seemed the best thing to do, though such a hard decision. My question is, should we show her to her bonded partner Clover before we bury her, so he knows she's gone? They have been together since birth, and I am so worried about him pining. Or do rabbits forget? Sorry if this seems a stupid question but we don't want to do the wrong thing. Thank you

Sorry to hear of your Brambles passing. I really can't advise on Clover, as I've not been in that position before, but someone will be along shortly x

We had to put our lovely Bramble to sleep this morning, she was 10 or 11 and she's been in poor health for a little while and it seemed the best thing to do, though such a hard decision. My question is, should we show her to her bonded partner Clover before we bury her, so he knows she's gone? They have been together since birth, and I am so worried about him pining. Or do rabbits forget? Sorry if this seems a stupid question but we don't want to do the wrong thing. Thank you

I am really sorry for your loss of Bramble :cry: I always let a bereaved Rabbit see their partner and I leave the deceased Rabbit with their partner until the partner moves away from the body and/or shows total disinterest. I have never yet had a bereaved Rabbit for whom doing this caused distress. Although it is certainly very upsetting for us to witness :cry:

The following two images show a Rabbit (Eddie) saying a final farewell to a much loved friend (Lizzie)

The images are not 'nasty' but some people may prefer not to scroll down any further to see them.

First the bereaved Rabbit may groom their partner

017-24.jpg

Then they may eventually turn their back on them

020-17.jpg

Until they finally move completely away. They seem to 'understand' that their friend has gone.

Thank you so much for your advice. That is really helpful. We are going to do that right away. Sorry for your own loss.

I'm sorry to hear of Brambles passing (although lovely she reached a fine old age). I've always shown my bunnies their mates body in case it helps. Lots of tlc for Clover then, I hope she & you cope as well as possible

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your lovely Bramble.

I always let the partner see and say goodbye to the body, as that way I can be sure they understand the reason for their departure and can begin to move on. The partner may well grieve for some time though, and become depressed. Not all rabbits do, but it can happen.

Lots of hugs for you and Clover xx

So sorry that you had to let your little Bramble go, you made the kindest decision and hardest decision for her. Perhaps you'd like to write a tribute to her in the rainbow bridge forum or share some pictures. Hugs xxx

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments. We placed Bramble gently near Clover, and he did approach her and then went away again. She is now at rest.

Back