• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I've plucked her bald by accident!

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Coco started her moult last week, and as always I gently - and I stress gently - tease out the fur. She and her sister are Rex Minis and their fur is quite dense and so I tease it away as it's less to ingest. It comes away in clumps, sheets even, and ends up leaving patches over her. But I can always see the brown shorter fur underneath. Until today. Found a new area, well at the top of an existing patch actually, came away very, very easily in absolute sheets. It didn't bother her, she carried on munching grass, didn't even flinch. I barely had to put any pressure on the fur and away it came. I can see skin. Actual white skin. It's definitely not fur as her fur's brown and it feels like skin and not fur. The skin is not red or inflamed or anything, just soft and white. But what have I done?! :shock: :(

Do not worry!

I did this the other week and started a thread in similar panic.

It's all grown back!!

Oh thank goodness for that! Thank you for replying! My husband was a bit cross with me I think and has ordered - ordered no less! - me to leave her be until it settles. Mind you, I was worried that it may be permanent but if your bunny's grown back then hopefully Coco's will. It came out so easily though, surely if it wasn't meant to it wouldn't have? It's never done it before. I do it to try and stop them ingesting the damn stuff as I think that's half of Thumper's stomach issues sometimes and the amount that came out I was like :shock: wow! but as she never bothered I carried on. And then saw the white patch and thought :?. And my husband was like :evil: "leave her alone!" :( :oops:

Can't do right for doing wrong :(

But thank you for your reply, that's very reassuring! x

I have had this happen with all three of my rabbits, only one of which is a mini rex. My Holland lop, Mimzy, is the worst, he can blow his entire back coat of fur down to skin and it looks terrible. (Everything but that tatty 'skirt' though, of course!) :( But better than him swallowing it. Far better. Hubby might want to take a chill pill. ;)

I have taken some off that would leave a few reddened patches, it still came out easily so I know it was meant to fall out, but I think because Mimzy is older his skin is just a bit more sensitive. It seems to recover quickly though, but I try not to have that happen. :( Plus he will bung about if he gets touched by anything since he's blind and deaf, so it's possible that when it comes out quickly it's due to him pulling one way and me another, perhaps it was a spot not meant to and caused a little irritation. Even my vet has been surprised by the intensity of my bunnies' moults, but he doesn't find anything wrong with it in the end and my three seem to be normal in other ways.

If your Coco is carrying on and giving you no notice, she's probably fine with what you're doing. The only thing I would think is, if the bald patch is very large, maybe watch how often she is in the sun in case she takes a burn. Once the velvet returns it's probably okay after that for sunbathing. ;)

It's like any bad haircut, it'll grow back! :lol:

If the fur was that loose it was obviously ready to come out, it does grow in fast though - it will start with the skin darkening and then lovely soft fuzz. Wouldn't surprise me if you can see it in 24 hours.

It happened to be before too. My bunny was so good, I continued to gently run his fur between my fingers and did not realize until I stopped that the pile of puffy fur was almost the size of the bunny!
Other than being bald in some patches, the skin was not red or sore. He was no worse for the wear and it grew back. I suspect it was far better than him getting it in his digestive tract.

Thank you everyone, I feel very reassured!

I think my husband was rather alarmed that so much came out and was slightly concerned, that's all, as was I to be honest.

I've been a bit wary and haven't dared to tease any out today though, lol.

But yes, it came out incredibly easily and Coco never batted an eyelid so she couldn't have even felt it come out really.

But it was rather a surprise when we realised it was skin we could see!

:shock:

Back