• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cut rabbits tail

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Help! My rabbit has a matted tail so I tried to cut them out but have nicked the end off his tail. He didn't squeal or jump but it is bleeding. What do I do? How do I stop infection getting in. Can't go to a vet now till 3:30 tomorrow evening. What can I put omit?

Help! My rabbit has a matted tail so I tried to cut them out but have nicked the end off his tail. He didn't squeal or jump but it is bleeding. What do I do? How do I stop infection getting in. Can't go to a vet now till 3:30 tomorrow evening. What can I put omit?

I would ring a vet and get advice. Also make an appointment whilst you are on the phone.

Sorry to hear this. I hope he's OK?

Odds are it will be completely fine. I imagine it's stopped now, but for future reference, just apply pressure like you would for a human wound. For a tail, pinch/squeeze the end just before the wound. I expect by tomorrow it will have a neat scab to show the vet.

If it's bleed a lot (more than just a slow drip) or you can't stop the bleeding then you need to go to the vets as an emergency. If you're not sure whether to worry or not give them a call and describe it and they'll offer advice :)

Generally rabbits will lick anything you put on so the vet will probably just advise to keep an eye and it will only need treatment if it starts looking sore or infected.

Back