• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boey in stasis

StuartR

Warren Scout
Had to take boey to the vets this morning 😢 He was fine last night eating his pellets and being his normal self then this morning he didn't jump on our bed at 6am to tell us it was breakfast time we found him curled up down the side of the fish tank. He wouldn't eat any breakfast so took him in then they opened at 8 30am. Vets checked him and has slow movement in his stomach and was in pain when she examined his abdomen. They're going to give him painkillers and gut stimulant and syringe feed him for the day, got yo phone back at 3:30pm... I'm preying he will start eating and will be ok! Losing sqweeb to stasis in January was horrific cant bear to think of it happening again, he's only 3 and is the most friendly happy bunny I've ever known

I really hope Boey will make good progress at the vets today - it sounds like you acted as fast as possible . Lots & lots of vibes for your boy

(I often call my bunnies Boey by accident, a spoonerism between Joey & Boo)

Sending loads of vibes for Boey. I hope the vets get him feeling a lot better today.

You have done exactly the right thing in getting Boey straight to the Vet. Hopefully with intensive treatment today he will soon be feeling much better. Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Thanks all trying to get on with work and not worry too much, just want them home safe and sound and begging for food

Had to take boey to the vets this morning 😢 He was fine last night eating his pellets and being his normal self then this morning he didn't jump on our bed at 6am to tell us it was breakfast time we found him curled up down the side of the fish tank. He wouldn't eat any breakfast so took him in then they opened at 8 30am. Vets checked him and has slow movement in his stomach and was in pain when she examined his abdomen. They're going to give him painkillers and gut stimulant and syringe feed him for the day, got yo phone back at 3:30pm... I'm preying he will start eating and will be ok! Losing sqweeb to stasis in January was horrific cant bear to think of it happening again, he's only 3 and is the most friendly happy bunny I've ever known

Oh poor Boey!

You got him to the vet fast and I'm sure he will have the best treatment and be on the way to recovery ..

Sending vibes for him (and you!)

Heard from the vet he's eaten a bit of parsley and is taking the recovery formula well,not sure if he's done any poo yet though... As tronny is there with him. Going to collect him at 16:45pm then got to continue the syringe feeding tonight and see if he's able to have a dental in the morning or it

Heard from the vet he's eaten a bit of parsley and is taking the recovery formula well,not sure if he's done any poo yet though... As tronny is there with him. Going to collect him at 16:45pm then got to continue the syringe feeding tonight and see if he's able to have a dental in the morning or it

Hope he continues to improve :D

He's taking critical care, still very mopey and not himself. Not interested in his food 😢 Got another appointment at vets in the morning to do more tests or a dental if he's well enough. do I need to get up in the middle of the night to continue the syringe feeding?

Poor little thing. :(

I have to say, I would attempt a night time feed if no other food at all is going in. :cry:

He's taking critical care, still very mopey and not himself. Not interested in his food 😢 Got another appointment at vets in the morning to do more tests or a dental if he's well enough. do I need to get up in the middle of the night to continue the syringe feeding?

If there's thought he may have to have a GA tomorrow, I would syringe feed a couple of times during the night, so he keeps his energy levels up.

Good luck for tomorrow xx

Sending Boey more vibes.
Even if Boey is not technically dehydrated, you may want to make sure Boey gets extra water to help rehydrate the material in his intestines and make it easier to pass.
Fluids/hydration can make a huge difference in a bunny with stasis as long as they have healthy kidneys.
If he is cooperating, you can just syringe small amounts of water into his mouth, allow him to swallow it and repeat, repeat, repeat.
Your vet can also show you how to give him sub-Q fluids from sterile bags the vet can provide along with needles and any set-up/syringe.
Also, your vet may be able to up his pain medication-depending on what part of the dosage range he initially prescribed.

Oh no this reminds me of last weekend with Petra!! I'd syringe feed him every few hours. Also keep him hydrated. With her last weekend i was doing a few syringes of food and then a few of water alternately.

also i sat her on my knee and gave her tummy massages for half an hour - her stomach was rock hard. I think that helped her a bit.

Everything is crossed from here. I really hope he'll be ok.

Back