• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hernia after spaying

june98

New Kit
So I have a 3 year old doe. Around 5 months back I got her spayed but unfortunately she developed a hernia. Initially the vet had wrapped a bandage around her abdomen to protect the stiches and that kept the hernia small but now its slowly gotten bigger. She seems completely normal and is eating and running around just fine. However, I cant help but worry. Getting an operation done now would be tough because I'm in a bad place financially. Could the surgery wait for another month or two or is it too big a risk to take? Ie there any temporary way to fix the hernia? Please help. I'm really scared.

Last edited:
So I have a 3 year old doe. Around 5 months back I got her spayed but unfortunately she developed a hernia. Initially the vet had wrapped a bandage around her abdomen to protect the stiches and that kept the hernia small but now its slowly gotten bigger. She seems completely normal and is eating and running around just fine. However, I cant help but worry. Getting an operation done now would be tough because I'm in a bad place financially. Could the surgery wait for another month or two or is it too big a risk to take? Ie there any temporary way to fix the hernia? Please help. I'm really scared.

Hello

In my experience a herniated spay always requires surgical repair. I am surprised that the Vet did not do this as soon as the problem developed as it would have been a smaller operation then. I am afraid there is no way for you to 'temporarily fix' the hernia. Are you in the UK ? If so and if you are in receipt of certain welfare benefits you may be eligible for Vet treatment from the RSPCA Animal Hospitals or from the PDSA

http://www.rspca.org.uk/whatwedo/vetcare/financial

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

Alternatively you could speak with your current Vet about paying in instalments for the treatment your Doe needs.

Good luck, I do hope you can access a Vet who will help x

As Jane has said, there is no way to temporarily fix a hernia.

The longer it is left, the more likely it is to get worse so I'd definitely discuss instalments, contact RSPCA/PDSA for help, and even contact other local vets to see if they'd do the surgery cheaper. If you're anywhere near St. Albans there is a vets practice called Nine Lives who do a lot of their surgeries at a much cheaper price as the lady who owns & runs the practice is in the job for the pleasure of it, not the money.

Welcome to the Forum June :wave:

I'm really sorry to hear about your doe and your financial situation.

I'm afraid it will need to be repaired asap, to make the operation as small and possible at this stage. I have known this happen in rabbits before, and it doesn't get better on it's own.

Is there any way your vet practice can make a paying in instalments plan for you? Or as DaphnePheobe says, shop around for a cheaper vet ..

Good luck and please let us know how things go with your girl xx

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:

My bridge bun Scrappy developed a hernia after her spay and I can only really echo what others have already said and try and get it sorted as soon as possible. My bun's hernia was picked up by my vet during the post spay check up and she did the surgery to fix it straight away.

Good luck and I hope you're able to get something sorted financially soon.

Back