• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making progress :)

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
Hey Guys!

Some of you may already know Hiro's story but I thought that i'd put in a quick summary for those of you that don't!

So... Hiro got Head Tilt back in Feb and after wrongly treating him EC we took him to a different vet and found out that he had an incredibly bad ear infection and needed Total Ear Canal Ablation surgery. The op went ok and he came home but then a week later the infection came back and he had to go back in for another operation. After the second op his tilt was actually worse than ever but he was eating, drinking, playing and seemed generally happy so we thought that we would just leave him to it to recover on his own in peace and quiet.

He's now been off his medication for exactly 3 weeks and he is finally starting to relax around us again but he has made EXCELLENT progress this week. He's ventured out of his bedroom for the first time in weeks with no confusion or rolling and yesterday he JUMPED on to his Carrot Cottage! I Know that it doesn't seem like a lot... but it's a lot to me. He was such a jumpy boy before he got poorly. He'd run around the room and pretty much jump over my king sized bed. We used to joke about taking him to agility classes because he was so springy!
I very much doubt that he will ever be able to do anything like that again but I can see my old Hiro coming through in him :)

I managed to grab some pictures today so here they are!
My very brave boy on top of his Carrot Cottage :love::love::love:

Last edited:
So a lot of you may know that my boy Hiro got head tilt back in Feb. After treating him wrongly for EC for quite a while we took him to a different vet and found out that he had an incredibly bad ear infection and needed Total Ear Canal Ablation surgery. The op went ok and he came home but then a week later the infection came back and he had to go back in for another operation. After the second op his tilt was actually worse than ever but he was eating, drinking, playing and seemed generally happy so we thought that we would just leave him to it to recover on his own in peace and quiet.
He's now been off his medication for exactly 3 weeks and he is finally starting to relax around us again but he has made EXCELLENT progress this week. He's ventured out of his bedroom for the first time in weeks with no confusion or rolling and yesterday he JUMPED on to his Carrot Cottage! I Know that it doesn't seem like a lot... but it's a lot to me. He was such a jumpy boy before he got poorly. He'd run around the room and pretty much jump over my king sized bed. We used to joke about taking him to agility classes because he was so springy!
I very much doubt that he will ever be able to do anything like that again but I can see my old Hiro coming through in him :)
I managed to grab some pictures today so here they are!
My very brave boy on top of his Carrot Cottage :love::love::love:

Well done Hiro, that's such good news!

You sound full of hope, and your little man will be loving that :D

I'm so pleased for you both xx

jumping is a massive achievement for a head tilt bun, Hiro is amazing. Good to hear you are both in a good place - long may it continue x

Thank you!
He amazes me every single day :)
We recently went on holiday and when we got him back home he just wouldn't leave his room. Every time he got close to the door he would tilt more and then fall over! We decided that he probably just felt very safe in his bedroom and we started to wonder if he would ever venture out again. On Friday we opened the door and his brother ran into the other room and out of nowhere Hiro decided to follow him. I thought that he'd roll or fall over on the landing but he just ran straight through! Since then he has been running between the two rooms with no trouble at all. He actually seems a lot more relaxed now that he has more space which was the complete opposite of what I was expecting.
We are trying to be positive :) It is hard to stay optimistic because we don't know what's going to happen or if the infection is going to come back but he seems so happy and at one point I thought that I would never see him happy again :cry: It's been a heart breaking few months but I'm keeping everything crossed that he continues to improve :love:

Last edited:
What a truly inspirational rabbit :love: And he looks so very cute :love: I'm very pleased that you have updated on his progress.

Thank you!
He amazes me every single day :)
We recently went on holiday and when we got him back home he just wouldn't leave his room. Every time he got close to the door he would tilt more and then fall over! We decided that he probably just felt very safe in his bedroom and we started to wonder if he would ever venture out again. On Friday we opened the door and his brother ran into the other room and out of nowhere Hiro decided to follow him. I thought that he'd roll or fall over on the landing but he just ran straight through! Since then he has been running between the two rooms with no trouble at all. He actually seems a lot more relaxed now that he has more space which was the complete opposite of what I was expecting.
We are trying to be positive :) It is hard to stay optimistic because we don't know what's going to happen or if the infection is going to come back but he seems so happy and at one point I thought that I would never see him happy again :cry: It's been a heart breaking few months but I'm keeping everything crossed that he continues to improve :love:

I love that story of him and his brother :love:

He really is an inspiration. He obviously is still in love with his life, and what can you do with such an optimistic bunny, but follow his lead?

I love that story of him and his brother :love:

He really is an inspiration. He obviously is still in love with his life, and what can you do with such an optimistic bunny, but follow his lead?

That made me cry! Having Rabbits has turned me into an emotional wreck :lol: Thank you for saying that because I really think that he is, I think he always will be as long as he has Sylar. They are best friends and they do everything together :) My dynamic duo :love:

That made me cry! Having Rabbits has turned me into an emotional wreck :lol: Thank you for saying that because I really think that he is, I think he always will be as long as he has Sylar. They are best friends and they do everything together :) My dynamic duo :love:

Yes, dynamic duo is a good phrase!

I think that once a rabbit has experienced the love and friendship of another rabbit, they will always long for it again if it's taken away from them. The desolation I see when one leaves just breaks my heart.

Long may Sylar and Hiro remain together :love:

Back