• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you feed your bunnies?

Bunnies16

New Kit
Hi all,

Just wondering how much you feed your rabbits every day? I have 2 rabbits, one English lop x (B) and one Himalayan x dwarf? (D) and they are both approximately 5.5 months old.

They are split up at the moment through fighting :( some of you may have seen my other thread.) B has been spayed but just waiting for D to grow a bit bigger to have her done.

However they always seem so hungry ! especially B! they are in the run every day from about 7 till 7.30/8. They have a constant supply of hay and one cup of pellets in the morning and one cup at night each. They also have some veg but I'm not sure how many veg I can give them ?

B is very food orientated and will eat very fast and then immediately be looking for more.
D is less so and will eat slower and perhaps wander off and come back later for some more.

just wondered if B was actually hungry or whether she was just being greedy. I am more than happy to up her veg/food but don't want her to become overweight!

Now the bunnies are 5.5 months you need to watch their food intake a bit more. Rabbits are always "starving" so don't be fooled, it's hard I know! The recommended amount of pellets each rabbit should be getting per day is about an eggcup full - mine get a bit less than this aty about 3/4 of an eggcup full. When you say they have unlimited hay, do you mean in the run? As far as veg goes, we all feed different amounts from none at all to quite a big bowlful. I tend to give mine Spring Greens every other day, not a lot, just a small leaf say. You can also look for forage greens like Dandelions etc from a reliable source, also you can give them Readigrass which the bunnies will love. Herbs too! Carrots are high in sugar so only a little bit now and then and you don't need to give them fruit.

Mine are 100% greedy. Aboleth used to be a slow eater but Lopsy soon 'taught' her to be quicker! Mine get a lot of forage because the OH doesn't know when to stop ;P They've been known to eat practically their own weight in hay (they're 2.3kg ) in Winter. I've told OH to cut down because they've put on 100g and they feel fatter: there's a guide here that's really useful. I alter the amount of pellets I give them between half a scoop each and a whole scoop (about 25g) each per day depending on how much spine I can feel: I might have to drop them to a 1/4 scoop each soon if OH insists on feeding them so much stuff :lol: We feed no veg but most sites suggest a cup of veg per day each? We probably feed about 1kg of forage between the two, including the sticks and twigs, which they eat about 50% of.

If mine are hungry, they have hay to eat, like yours: they're usually just scouting for something more interesting! Why eat plain pasta when there's chocolate in the cupboard? :lol: ;P

Hello :)

I give my Charlie 1 x table spoon of excel pellets in morning and 1 x table spoon in the evening.

He gets hay all day which he eats all of it. I give him loads of different hays grass hay Timothy hay...He eats more than his whole body weight a day. And I only give him a little bit of veggies like a handful. I introduced each veggie slowly. And I give him dried herbs as a treat such as dandelions that you can buy in pet shops xxxx

P.s Try different Timothy hays with different ingredients such as marigolds or mints and mix it up every day. My Charlie loves 5 a day hay. Google it it has yummy ingredients. You can never have enough hay xxx

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies ! :D

I think B is probably being greedy then ! haha. I will not be fooled ! ;)

Yes they have hay in their runs and their hutches at all times. The runs are normally on grass but they'd scalped it right down so they are on the patio at the moment until it grows again :)

The only think that worries me is that they will fight over there food when (If :cry: ) we can get them back together. I suppose I will just have to wait and see with that one!

x

Indeed, most bunnies act like they are starving & they do it so convincingly too. You are wise to be asking these questions ...fat bunnies face so many unnecessary health problems. My three have a huge pile of forage, usually split between 2-3 servings, 8g of nuggets each a day & unlimited hay of course. When I change their litter trays they have a good handful of green oat readigrass on top of the hay (they love that stuff)

This is my favourite site / way of thinking when it comes to rabbit diet

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Crash Bunny gets pretty much free grass, hay, herbs and greens/veggies all day/night and im with him all the time, he eats a LOT.... but i only give him a few pellets and fibrefirst sticks, just enough to put in his treat ball and he chases it around. Hes in good shape, not fat, not skinny, never problems with tummy. Hes pretty active too.

also he doesnt get any of those sugary treat things you can get for bunnys in petshops, i hate the stuff and if you read the packaging they put all sorts in them that arent safe for bunnies

Back