• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else regret replacing their original bunnies?

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
I lost my 2 bunnies Rodge and Orla almost 2 years ago now. I miss them every second of every day.

I have since taken on a 5 year old French lop and 2 1 year old French lops.....apart from the 5 year old frenchie, I have zero attachment to the other two.

I feel so guilty and regret getting them.

I shouldn't have replaced my Rodge and Orla.

I'll be honest, they feel like a burden than a joy to me.....

how long have you had them? your bond may soon come, whenever I have had a new rabbit, its not replacing the lost one just helping another, I have to admit at first few days of having them I do recall having the same thoughts you say, but they soon faded, as lost ones will never be forgotten or even replaced, they will be happy you have helped other bunnies x

I lost my 2 bunnies Rodge and Orla almost 2 years ago now. I miss them every second of every day.

I have since taken on a 5 year old French lop and 2 1 year old French lops.....apart from the 5 year old frenchie, I have zero attachment to the other two.

I feel so guilty and regret getting them.

I shouldn't have replaced my Rodge and Orla.

I'll be honest, they feel like a burden than a joy to me.....

I haven't been in your position yet. My three remaining buns were helped to the bridge two weeks ago. I am very keen not to have any more as I need time to be free of responsibilities.

I've had them for a year now since they were babies, I have zero emotion for them and it upsets me. I adore the older Frenchie though and I've only had her a year and a half.

I shouldn't have got them. :cry:

Hi,

I actually fully understand how you feel. I lost my 2 Angels within their first year and I can quite honestly say it was the worst experience ever, as I lost my male first then shortly after his sister. I got them both from an accidental litter, my first pets for me and my partner in our new home. I had so much love for them both and literally broke my heart when I had to say good bye.

In the short time after Harvey passed. I ended up rescueing a new little male, and at first being honest I hated him and ever time I looked at him just felt guilty, not wanting him and just wanting Harvey back. But I knew deep down honey needed a friend. Anyway, shortly after honey passed away.. Again I blamed my new bunny Bailey. Saying if it wasn't for him, maybe I could have concentrated more on honey and prevented her getting worse. But all the time I had all the wonderful people on here me so much. It's scary how much they quickly creep into your heart!

What I'm trying to say is it took time, and with some it will take longer than others, but you've got to try and think of it that your helping other bunnies and your past bunnies are they're keeping an eye on you all. With Bailey now, I love the little cheeky money so much and wouldn't be without him. Sometime I do feel why bother having animals and that they are a burden, but when you see their little faces when you come home, I know he was meant to come to me.

I've recently taken on another little girl as again I felt it was unfair to keep Bailey on his own, I got bella about 6 weeks ago now and being honest I still struggle. Every time I see her, I just think about honey and again wish she was here. I know it feels like your replacing them, but your not! Being honest, I still don't really love her yet.. She's just there as a friend for Bailey. But I know deep down she'll grow on me and soon creep into my heart before me knowing. Honey and Harvey will always remain in my heart, and I've also got them tattooed on me! (Mad women I know) but Bailey and bella will never replace them, they are just more bunnies that deserve a happy life which I will give them.

I'm sorry for the essay, but I can honestly relate so much to you and just want to say give yourself time. Also as for it being over a year and a half and you still don't feel much for them, touch wood this never happens.. But the moment they show signs of illness or look sad, your heart will just kick in and feel so much love xx

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I can't really relate.

These are my first bunnies (since being a child) but when I had ferrets I started with two. Izzy & Rosie... within a year our rescue dog killed Rosie (she got into the room when they were free ranging). I had to quickly replace her as Izzy quickly became depressed so I got Lola & Chance. I loved them from the moment I got them & I knew Rosie would have loved that Izzy had play friends again. Izzy didn't improve grately with the girls so I rescued another male, Frankie & he was a real love. He stole my heart with his handsome looks & gentle nature. Izzy loved him too so I knew Rosie would be happy that Izzy was finally herself again. I ended up with another two (Dylan & Sita) from an abandoned litter who needed hand rearing & they were soon introduced to the group once they could hold themselves.

If I were in your position I would be looking at my options which would be to rehome them to a good home, where they will be loved & cared for as if they were royalty, or I'd give myself more time & try bonding with them by spending time with them, getting to know them individually.

I certainly understand what you mean to some level. I have a much stronger bond with certain bunnies and not such a strong bond with others. My strongest bonds are the two that are disabled/poorly so maybe that is something to do with it. They all get treated equally though :)

I also think in my case whether I 'chose' the bunny (from rescue) impacts on it. The two bunnies that I felt obligated to take on due to their dire circumstances are the two I have the least strong bond with. All the others I have 'chosen' to rehome

I'm sorry you are feeling this way, it must be very difficult to deal with. Although, I haven't experienced the losses you have, please try not to feel like you have replaced your other rabbits.

Do you think there is a reason why you have more of a bond with the older one, is it to do with personalities? Is the older one more cuddly, for example? Do you have time to spend with the younger ones, to try and build a bond with them. Lastly, perhaps you could look into rehoming them.

I really hope that things improve for you x

Rabbits vary so wildly in character I think it's probably quite common that people find they just don't really connect with one, or at least if you got two "replacements" you might have felt like they were so different to the two before they didn't really fill the void that was left.

Certainly even though I did love him I always felt an underlying sadness about having Mack because he was almost the opposite of Eli and a reminder that Eli was gone. I felt like I should still have my original trio and instead I had my pair and this totally different creature.
I miss having a giant bun so much so I will definitely get another, but I get sick with worry about it at times, partly because I'm concerned I won't like him.

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate your opinions and advice.

I wish no harm on my rabbits but feel guilty that I spend zero time with them. I feed them the best pellets and veg, fresh water each day, hay and clean them out but that's about it really. They have a huge shed and run with access to a slabbed area during the day if dry.

I am fond of the elderly bun as she is in her twilight years and feel obligated to make her comfortable and happy until the day comes we say goodbye. I just feel a sense of dread that I have the other two for much longer.

I may look in to rehoming them once the older one passes away but only to a home that is aware of how much hard work French lops are. But again I am aware that a pet is for life so may just keep them, I might find it more manageable with 2.

I wish you all the best with what ever you decide. But do you know what, it sounds like they don't have it so bad, if they have good food and a lovely home to live in :). As they have each other for company, they are probably quite happy and content.

My trio are really not that interested in me and enjoy the company of each other more x

Back