• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Problems with new bond!

Griff

Young Bun
Hi all

Appreciate this I believe is my own doing but advice is needed!
So I bonded Jake and Poppy they have been together 4 weeks and all is happy. They are grooming and no problems and living all cosy. On Sunday I let them out to a bigger area for a run around. Since then she's been more territorial (she was next to my other couple of rabbits and seemed to want to sniff them all the time). I sense some referred aggression as she can't get to them two next to her (they have always been there). So this morning chasing and nipping started between her and Jake. They were constantly at it and I've pulled her off him. They were both nipping. I actually got bit as got in between. What to do now? Put them just upstairs and a small space together and see what happens. Or separate for a short period. Thanks

If they aren't actually fighting, just fur pulling and nipping, I would reduce their space. Moving them can cause things to kick off. If you can make it so they can't actually see the other rabbits, that might be enough to stop the referred aggression.

Update : she came to see him and there was cuddles and grooming. Then something happened and it kicked off again. Nipping and chasing each other. He's going at it as much as her now. She's the dominant one. Separated again for a time and now he's gone upstairs so they are confined in smaller space together as I've locked them in that area.

Hi. I would say it's bordering on fighting. No actually biting scratching but on top of each other and quite active. It's non stop when they are together. I've just had to split them again. Will try throughout the day to re-introduce and see what happens.
They were absolutely fine before today grrrr
Will put something so they can't see others. Again they have always seen them but at weekend they were closer together as they had run with just a mesh between them and think this has started her off

Some bunnies get really wound up when they get near others, so it could be this. Hope you can sort something out to alleviate this.

She is from a breeder and i got her at 10 months so she was used to being around loads of other rabbits. And she was next to Jake for a month and never bothered. Their hutches are about 5 feet apart so not particularly close. It just seems to be the fact they were let out and then next to each other has kicked it off :cry:

It may be because she now has a 'mate' & a 'nest' that she feels the need to protect it from these other rabbits.
Wishing you luck in fixing the bond.

Hi all. They have ignored each other all day.
Been one in the bed and one outside area. The occasional time she's been out they've not interacted.
No more scraps is good but they are not exactly showing any good bonding behaviours either.
I know and have read about stress bonding. Is it worth a drive in the car for 10 minutes would you say to try and bring them back together? Has anyone done this.

I've never tried stress bonding. How small an area are they in? Ignoring is better than fighting obviously ;) are they claiming areas/possessions? You might be best making the area very neutral and removing toys and things if you haven't already.

I've never tried stress bonding. How small an area are they in? Ignoring is better than fighting obviously ;) are they claiming areas/possessions? You might be best making the area very neutral and removing toys and things if you haven't already.

Hi. They are locked upstairs together in hutch so less space. No toys in that area. They have gone back to exactly same as early days in the hutch. She's staying in bed area (sort of claiming that and he dare not go in) and he's in main area. Interestingly his toilet is bed and she uses litter tray in main area so they are not in neutral but not in their own toilet area. She sometimes attempts to go near him and he's just nervous and runs (for no reason). So no fighting now but just some issues on being nervous around each other. Feel like I've gone back 4 weeks in bonding process as they are acting exactly how they did then.

Stress bonding is a last resort technique and I don't think you are there yet. Continue as you have been. He'll be nervous as they have previously been fighting and he may be anticipating an attack. So long as no fights break out he'll start to relax again.

I'd keep them to just hay and water at the moment - a lot of people get tempted to give them pellets/veg etc but this can sometimes cause fighting as they want the best bits.

The odd nip and short chase still. They are ok when ignoring each other. she is still nipping him. Never seen him so sad and wanting me, he's cowering in the corner now a fair bit. She won't let me near her.
I'm worried as can't watch them all night and at work tomorrow. Feel I need to stay calm and stick to it (hope it works) or pull them apart now and re bond. I have got spare hutch out just in case. Not sure my nerves can stand them carrying on like this. didn't have this fur pulling and nipping even throughout bonding to this extent. Some dominant circling and short chase but not where there was fur flying.

Update
Things seemed to have improved throughout the day. They are much closer contact including some lying next to / near each other and a tiny bit of grooming. He still sometimes runs from her if she goes up to him but she's only trying to be friendly and be groomed. They are eating together and he has gained in confidence.
Only thing I've noticed is they are both scenting around the hutch. She is quite bad anyway big she's gone into scent overdrive on everything tonight. And then (more worrying) he is scenting same places. I'm worried he's starting to fight back and there may be a new dominance issue brewing. So they both keep scenting the arch way between hutch and bedroom

They sound like they're doing well.
Don't worry about the scenting - it sounds like she's coming over and demanding grooms (which is a dominance thing) and him running away is saying he's not ready to be under her control. Give them more time. You're doing fine :)

Back