• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

More worries for Fiver :(

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I'm sorry to keep coming on and begging vibes, but if there are any going spare that could be sent to my wee Fiver, we would be so grateful to have them.
I brought him out of his enclosure last night to trim his nails (they were overdue) and my heart fell watching him go about afterwards. He seems very stiff. He has trouble lifting his forelegs to wash his ears, and his sore hock is much worse these days. I'm concerned that his arthritis is advancing.

Along with this are my worries that he might be developing a heart condition...the trimming was very stressful for him, his heart was pounding enough that I could feel it through his ribs by the time I'd finished. I had a real concern that he might just expire on the spot. :cry: Happily he began tottering about and seemed to be more comfortable after we'd done. I also had to wonder if he's lost some weight. I'm not sure if he may be needing a dental, he is eating fairly well, a bit less than usual, but not drinking much and he just felt a bit lighter to me. I have no scale to put him on that will read his weight accurately, we'll have to have his vet take it for me.

I am so afraid for our move out of state, that I might not be able to take him with me, or Mimzy either, it is giving me considerable anxiety. I have to make an appointment for him (maybe both, but funds are tight right now) to be seen, he needed to have an xray at the end of June to be sure he wasn't developing more kidney stones, which is unlikely after I stopped feeding him kale...I'm just so stressed with it all and I'm sure he's picking up on it and I can't have him be more upset.

I'll let everyone know when we have a time to go in, but in the meantime, could we have some feel better vibes for him please? He just has seemed to be aging in front of my eyes and it would be devastating to find he is unable to make the journey to our new home. :cry:

Many, many thanks in advance. xxxx

Thank you Amanda :love: I hope you and yours are doing well. ((((Hugs)))) xxxx

Everything must be so stressful for you. We are fine, bunnies, chins and hamsters, but if I had to move, definitely would be hard.

Ask the vet what they think, but don't forget you would know how they would cope. Xxx

I really hope the situation is not as bad as you fear. Sending lots of vibes for Fiver xx

I'm sorry to keep coming on and begging vibes, but if there are any going spare that could be sent to my wee Fiver, we would be so grateful to have them.
I brought him out of his enclosure last night to trim his nails (they were overdue) and my heart fell watching him go about afterwards. He seems very stiff. He has trouble lifting his forelegs to wash his ears, and his sore hock is much worse these days. I'm concerned that his arthritis is advancing.

Along with this are my worries that he might be developing a heart condition...the trimming was very stressful for him, his heart was pounding enough that I could feel it through his ribs by the time I'd finished. I had a real concern that he might just expire on the spot. :cry: Happily he began tottering about and seemed to be more comfortable after we'd done. I also had to wonder if he's lost some weight. I'm not sure if he may be needing a dental, he is eating fairly well, a bit less than usual, but not drinking much and he just felt a bit lighter to me. I have no scale to put him on that will read his weight accurately, we'll have to have his vet take it for me.

I am so afraid for our move out of state, that I might not be able to take him with me, or Mimzy either, it is giving me considerable anxiety. I have to make an appointment for him (maybe both, but funds are tight right now) to be seen, he needed to have an xray at the end of June to be sure he wasn't developing more kidney stones, which is unlikely after I stopped feeding him kale...I'm just so stressed with it all and I'm sure he's picking up on it and I can't have him be more upset.

I'll let everyone know when we have a time to go in, but in the meantime, could we have some feel better vibes for him please? He just has seemed to be aging in front of my eyes and it would be devastating to find he is unable to make the journey to our new home. :cry:

Many, many thanks in advance. xxxx

With all that is going on for you at the moment it is little wonder that your anxiety has gone into overdrive. That, in turn, can make any additional concerns even harder to cope with. Given how important all your animals are to you, the slightest hint of a problem with any of them will have you fearing all sorts of awful scenarios.

Now, I am about to advise you to do what I all too often seem unable to do myself ( :oops:). Focus on what you know to be facts with regards to Fiver. You dont know if he is now having any heart problems, you dont know if he is losing weight on a constant basis. So for now try to deal with the things you do know as fact- Fiver has arthritis. So do I and I know my mobility can change from day to day. Some days I am a lot more creaky than others. If this is the case for Fiver the Vet may suggest a blood profile to see how his kidneys are doing before deciding on a medication regime to help Fiver feel more comfortable. The other fact is he has a sore hock. As you know, this can be related not only to his breed (the fact that Rexes are prone to sore hocks) but that sore hocks can occur in Rabbits with arthritis. So perhaps you could speak on the phone with the Vet to see if he can offer any advice on how to manage the sore hock until you can get Fiver to the Vet to be examined.

I realise how hard it is not to let fear and anxiety take over and to start thinking that worst case scenarios are inevitable. So in no way am I dismissing your real concerns. But I know from first hand experience that the more we think of all the 'what ifs' the worse we feel and as you have noted, our Rabbits can pick up on that. I often seek refuge in the bathroom and have a good cry if I am dealing with a sick Rabbit, in the hope that the Rabbit wont realise what a state I can get into :oops:

Of course you can have millions of vibes for Fiver and for all of your other beloved Pets too. I think once the wretched move is done it will be one less thing you have to dread. Of course it wont solve everything else, but it'll be something that is done and not looming on the horizon like another dark ogre.

((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))) xx

What a wise person you are Jane! We could all take on board what you've said, it's so easy to imagine the worst. It's hard to concentrate on the known facts, and not to worry about 'what if...'. I wish I could print off what you've put and stick it on my fridge! Thank you for your calmness!

awww vibes are free mimz and never feel like you cant ask for them, vibes being sent for your bun. I think everyone feels for the bun and the buns mum when we read that ones not well, i hate the thought of a poorly bun xxxxx:love:

What a wise person you are Jane! We could all take on board what you've said, it's so easy to imagine the worst. It's hard to concentrate on the known facts, and not to worry about 'what if...'. I wish I could print off what you've put and stick it on my fridge! Thank you for your calmness!

It's relatively easy to advise someone else as to what may be the best approach, but for me to actually follow my own advice is an entirely different matter !! My default setting is usually 'panic' :oops:

I'm so sorry things are so difficult right now :(

Sending lots of love to you and many, many vibes for Fiver xx

My apologies for not returning to this thread yesterday, had a long day with a lot of supply shopping and tooling around and to start off I wrenched my back just rolling down the window in my car (I'm such a lightweight!) so I've been in agony ever since I got home yesterday afternoon. Can't take much more than Tylenol for it too and I'm wary of those, so it's heat pads or just laying down and having a good cry when it's really playing up. :roll:

I phoned the vet this morning and the earliest he can see us is next Tuesday. :( That seems a long time to wait but we've no choice. I'm sure if an earlier opening arises due to a cancellation, I'll be bumped up in the queue.

He does seem a bit brighter today, it is lovely outdoors and I wish I could take him into the yard for a romp on the grass, but most of it has been used by my dogs so that's kind of a no go. :( I placed extra padding in his enclosure under his beddies and I'm hoping that's making him a bit more comfy. He may seem thin to me, but I see him having to turn around for his cecals, he can't manage to bend in half to get them...poor lad.

Jane, I want to thank you for the kick up the bum. It's just what I needed. Yes, with all my current woes the anxiety is tending to get greater hold of me than it normally would. I really needed the time away from the house yesterday so I got a bit more perspective again as well by being away from the situation. And I know you are always the voice of wisdom with our rabbit friends and you have been through so much I know that even if you can't always apply your coping skills, you are acquainted with what works and what doesn't. Thank you for your insight and kind words. :love:

To all of you who have posted, thank you so very much for your support. :love: My own family are sick to death of hearing about my rabbits and my other animals and how worried I get about them, you all are the only people I can come to who 'get it.' I am so very grateful to all of you, bless you. xxxxxxx

I am sending you more vibes for Fiver.
Don't get ahead of yourself.
In regards to your own aches, don't wait too long to get checked if your back continues to give you problems.
No everyone understands that our pets are part of our family and that is why we are so upset and anxious when they get ill. How sad that some people will never know what it is like to be loved unconditionally by a pet.

I am sending you more vibes for Fiver.
Don't get ahead of yourself.
In regards to your own aches, don't wait too long to get checked if your back continues to give you problems.
No everyone understands that our pets are part of our family and that is why we are so upset and anxious when they get ill. How sad that some people will never know what it is like to be loved unconditionally by a pet.

You are so right T, my Pets are my family. As an adult I have never been able to feel a real 'connection' to another human, but with my animals it is different. Animals accept us as we are, no judgements or hidden agendas. You know where you are with animals and they wont ever deliberately hurt you.

M, I am glad you felt my words helped. Now could someone oblige by enabling me to heed my own advice.................:roll:

Sending millions more vibes over the pond M xx

Back