• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Calcium content of Hawthorn leaves.???

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Anyone know the calocum content of Hawthorn leaves? ? Sludge bun Oliver enjoys them so was just wondering if they r ok. Got a nice big bag of tender leaves for the boys yesterday the end branches with no thorns. Also got a shoe full of dogs dirt too - gross!

I'm always stepping in dog poo too - its hard to keep your eyes on the lush vegetation & the ground.

I don't specifically know about Hawthorn but Frances Harcourt -Brown (at her last lectures) did recommend a hay & forage based diet for sludge buns. If I recall correctly the only forage she mentioned with a high calcium content was dandelions.

I hope somebody knows the science & can give you a proper answer

Thanks Joey. I had nice new shoes too! Aw did she say that ! That's good to know as Oliver actually likes it alot. I leave them a good couple of bunches over night and it's gone in the morning so a wee boredom buster as well. It's good there's no berries on it to pick off yet. I have seen what I think is plantain but am afraid to try. Do u know when plantain is most distictive?? As in when does it flowere? Did francis say plantain was good too ??

Thanks Joey. I had nice new shoes too! Aw did she say that ! That's good to know as Oliver actually likes it alot. I leave them a good couple of bunches over night and it's gone in the morning so a wee boredom buster as well. It's good there's no berries on it to pick off yet. I have seen what I think is plantain but am afraid to try. Do u know when plantain is most distictive?? As in when does it flowere? Did francis say plantain was good too ??

I got Poo on my new trainers the first time I wore them last year. I now exit the back of the house wearing poo wellies or poo trainers & out the front wearing pumps that are poo free. Anyhow...I honestly don't think she mentioned many specific types (if any other than dandelion) but said varied forage diet was her recommendation. I find ribwort plantain really easy to identify..perhaps easier earlier on because of the tall seed head (no there does not be berries on it :lol:) & once you know it you know it forever.

Do you have a photo?

Lol I was wondering if u were going to throw in the berries comment lol !!! No I don't have a photo :( just remember seeing it again yesterday. I still can't work out how to upload pics here. I would rather upload a pic here for confirmation and then the boys would have more choice and it's free !!

Soz. I'm so predictable. I don't always rate this method but if you google images of ribwort plantain there are lovely specimens.

Ooohhh just did. Yes those seed heads are very distinctive. When r the seed heads usually visable? ? Now ?? Just the leaves u feed buns?,

I feed the seed heads too but I haven't noticed them in a while - it may be a spring thing

Nickybunny - I checked when out today. They still have seed heads.

Off the subject do you remember discussing buns reluctant to explore their whole space ? Well more and more I'm finding Mouse under the dining room with the other two :love:

I feed the seed heads too but I haven't noticed them in a while - it may be a spring thing

I remember in the dim and distant past Thumps saying that you shouldn't feed the seed heads as it's the same sort of stuff that Fibogel is made of.

I double checked that with Twigs, who hadn't heard of that, but doesn't tend to feed seed heads anyway.

However, if your buns are fine with them .. that's OK :wave:

I remember in the dim and distant past Thumps saying that you shouldn't feed the seed heads as it's the same sort of stuff that Fibogel is made of.

I double checked that with Twigs, who hadn't heard of that, but doesn't tend to feed seed heads anyway.

However, if your buns are fine with them .. that's OK :wave:

I also have read somewhere that the seedheads shouldn't be used and so don't feed them. It could be similar to the issue with Dock I suppose :?

Or else it could just be an old rabbits' tale :lol:

I also have read somewhere that the seedheads shouldn't be used and so don't feed them. It could be similar to the issue with Dock I suppose :?

Or else it could just be an old rabbits' tale :lol:

:lol: like it

There wouldn't be much value in risking it then, they rarely make it in to the bunch anyway

Hi Joey. Just saw today ur post about little Mouse. Aw I am so glad she is joining in with the others. I get that makes u happy. Cody is lying under the radiator again too which is lovely to see. He still isn't in good enough form for the garden with his ear but is happy sleeping and relaxing so won't force him. Our wee reclusive friends wee do worry for them. I am soo happy for u too. It may seem a small thing to others but I under stand the significance of the extra movement.

Back