• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying confusion

roxyroller88

Mama Doe
We are on the look out for a doe for our boy Billy but we're not rushing into anything until things setttle down with our poorly boy, Hiro. We needed to do a trip to P@H anyway and decided to just look in the adoption center whilst we were there... just in case.
So we see this beautiful looking Rabbit called Pickles and when we got to the till we decided to get some information. We asked if Pickles was a doe and the guy on the till said that she was and asked us if it was a doe we were after so we explained that we had Bill, a solo neutered bun and then asked if Pickles was spayed because ideally we are looking for a spayed doe because we thought it would be the best match for him.
He then proceeded to tell me that she isn't spayed BUT that they don't recommend it because the risk of them dying on the operating table far outweighs the risk of them getting Uterine Cancer and that if we've got a neutered male it would be better to leave her unspayed.
Now I've never had a Doe but that can't be true, can it? I didn't want to say anything to correct him because I wasn't 100% sure but if he is wrong I'd feel the need to go back and correct him because he might be telling that to everyone that buys/adopts a female :/

Last edited:
If you adopt from P@H "Support Adoption for Pets" area you should always get a neutering voucher (and a vaccination voucher), regardless of sex, if the rabbit is yet to be neutered. The member of staff was definitely misinformed - the general consensus I believe is that the risk of uterine cancer (and being able to live happily with other rabbits etc etc) far outweighs the risk of dying under anaesthetic and therefore, spaying is always recommended.

If you adopt from P@H "Support Adoption for Pets" area you should always get a neutering voucher (and a vaccination voucher), regardless of sex, if the rabbit is yet to be neutered. The member of staff was definitely misinformed - the general consensus I believe is that the risk of uterine cancer (and being able to live happily with other rabbits etc etc) far outweighs the risk of dying under anaesthetic and therefore, spaying is always recommended.

Definitely. The member of staff was wrong, which is quite worrying xx

That's exactly what I thought!!!
He did say something about the voucher and we did get one with each of our boys but he seemed so confident in his answer.
I've sent P@H a facebook message and they've given me the customer service number to call. I don't want to get anyone in trouble but they have clearly been given the wrong information.
I just worry that he is telling everyone not to get their does spayed... I've never had a doe but I've tried my best to educate myself but not everyone does.
I think that I'll give them a call when I'm back home :/

Back