• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Would I be correct in assuming that snoring is bad in a bunny? (bit of a rant, sorry)

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Fiver has begun snoring. Suddenly. It is not all the time, but he does sleep with his head slightly elevated lately. I hear the snoring after he's been laying down for a bit. If I move to check him and he sees me and sits up, it stops...so shifting position seems to make a difference. He has been sneezing also.

He is a mini rex. He is almost 9 years old and he's had one major surgery this year for a bladder stone that he doesn't seem to have come back quite the same from. I am terrified that he is developing heart disease. :cry:

I have to take Ebon in tomorrow (early...9 AM) because she's had some kind of issue with her feet, chewing the paws constantly. Since it's been so wet here for weeks, I am presuming a yeast infection in the toe pads, at the worst she's caught a thorn or foxtail and she'll need it removed. Great. She is a menace at the vets, she will growl and snarl and snap at everyone and keeping a muzzle on her is impossible. So... Possible GA/surgery coupled with long periods of anti-biotics or anti-fungals depending on diagnosis and probably steroids again. My OH will be cross for certain. I can't deal with it when he is angry.

Between this, my worries that Mimzy is nearing the end of his life, and now Fiver, when I'd had hopes I might have bonded the two of them, plus all the craziness I'm already dealing with regarding our move with my other animals, and also my son's having had to return home and how this has affected him...no matter where I turn there is a problem. I don't know how much more I can take.

Sorry to whinge, RU, but my world is crumbling and I don't have the ability to shore it up anymore. If both Fiver and Mimzy can't pass their health checks, I will have to let them go. I can't put them through a plane flight if it's going to literally frighten them to death.

One has to wonder what kind of person one was in a past life to deserve karma like this. :( Just so angry right now at the injustice of it all. I'm sorry to be venting it here but my family cannot relate to me and seem to be tired of me talking about it.

I'll have to see if I can take Fiver in on another day other than tomorrow because he wouldn't do well in the car with the dog.
I might take Mimzy in with him when we go, although they really aren't ready for their travel vetting (it has to be no longer than a month from departure and we have more like two months to go yet) just to see if he is eligible for something else besides metacam to cover body pain. He is getting about a little better since the weather has warmed again, but he still looks so gimpy. I just hope this is not the last visit for the both of them, but I am prepared for just about any bad turn at this point. Not even sure how much testing I can afford, but luckily my current vet is not into racking up lots of expenses if he can go a cheaper route for the same result.

If there are any vibes going spare, could I beg a few please? I am reaching the stage where I dread getting up in the morning and finding something else has gone :censored: 's up!

Thank you for reading. xx

Fiver has begun snoring. Suddenly. It is not all the time, but he does sleep with his head slightly elevated lately. I hear the snoring after he's been laying down for a bit. If I move to check him and he sees me and sits up, it stops...so shifting position seems to make a difference. He has been sneezing also.

He is a mini rex. He is almost 9 years old and he's had one major surgery this year for a bladder stone that he doesn't seem to have come back quite the same from. I am terrified that he is developing heart disease. :cry:

I have to take Ebon in tomorrow (early...9 AM) because she's had some kind of issue with her feet, chewing the paws constantly. Since it's been so wet here for weeks, I am presuming a yeast infection in the toe pads, at the worst she's caught a thorn or foxtail and she'll need it removed. Great. She is a menace at the vets, she will growl and snarl and snap at everyone and keeping a muzzle on her is impossible. So... Possible GA/surgery coupled with long periods of anti-biotics or anti-fungals depending on diagnosis and probably steroids again. My OH will be cross for certain. I can't deal with it when he is angry.

Between this, my worries that Mimzy is nearing the end of his life, and now Fiver, when I'd had hopes I might have bonded the two of them, plus all the craziness I'm already dealing with regarding our move with my other animals, and also my son's having had to return home and how this has affected him...no matter where I turn there is a problem. I don't know how much more I can take.

Sorry to whinge, RU, but my world is crumbling and I don't have the ability to shore it up anymore. If both Fiver and Mimzy can't pass their health checks, I will have to let them go. I can't put them through a plane flight if it's going to literally frighten them to death.

One has to wonder what kind of person one was in a past life to deserve karma like this. :( Just so angry right now at the injustice of it all. I'm sorry to be venting it here but my family cannot relate to me and seem to be tired of me talking about it.

I'll have to see if I can take Fiver in on another day other than tomorrow because he wouldn't do well in the car with the dog.
I might take Mimzy in with him when we go, although they really aren't ready for their travel vetting (it has to be no longer than a month from departure and we have more like two months to go yet) just to see if he is eligible for something else besides metacam to cover body pain. He is getting about a little better since the weather has warmed again, but he still looks so gimpy. I just hope this is not the last visit for the both of them, but I am prepared for just about any bad turn at this point. Not even sure how much testing I can afford, but luckily my current vet is not into racking up lots of expenses if he can go a cheaper route for the same result.

If there are any vibes going spare, could I beg a few please? I am reaching the stage where I dread getting up in the morning and finding something else has gone :censored: 's up!

M, I promise to reply properly in a couple of hours. Rather a lot going on here atm, but have just read your post and did not want to at least acknowledge it

Back in a bit....................

((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) xx

Got to get the girls ready for school, but just wanted to send you all the healing vibes I can for your poor buns.
Plus a few calming vibes for yourself.
(((Hugs)))

Will be keeping your family in my thoughts today.

Thank you both.
You'd never know there was something up with Fiver, he is sat in his litter tray and stuffing his face from his basket which I've just filled. :roll:

Praying that it's just a URI. :( He's my wee baby, I adore him. Mimzy has always been my soul bun, but Fiver stole my heart.
Thank God Pip seems to be fine at the moment (touch wood), I'd be completley undone if she went south too. :(

Firstly, I am sorry that everything remains so wretched for you. I can certainly understand how you feel just about at the end of your rope. I really wish I could do more to help than just to 'listen'.

Regarding Fiver's snoring. I think if we all start offering possible suggestions as to what may be causing the sudden onset of the 'symptom' it will do little to help Fiver and a lot to further distress you. I know you are well aware of various possible causes of the 'symptom' you describe, but 'possibilities' is all they are. I would try not to second guess and Google search things, it really wont do either you or Fiver any good. What I would do is try to schedule a Vet check for him and in the meantime I'd continue to monitor his breathing in general and also weigh him every 2-3 days. A stable weight would be a 'good' sign.

I could list various other things to look out for, but I am loathe to do so as I really, really do not want to add to the awful stress you are already under. I am sending millions of vibes for Fiver, for all your other animals and of course for you. Surely you have to get a break from life's trials soon.

((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))) xx

I'm so sorry you are going through so much :cry: sometimes life is just so unfair :cry: sending lots of vibes, and hugs xx

Sending lots of hugs and vibes 💜

Not sure about snoring my nethie used to and Mabel does to

Last edited:
Zillions of vibes for Fiver, Mimzy, you and your family and Ebon. Moving makes thinking and worrying about everything so much worse as well as feeling the worst will happen. Hugs xxx

Back