• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it risky?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

We are taking in two new buns on Saturday who were being re-homed.

They have been vaccinated fairly recently, but won't of had the new RHDV2 vaccine.

Our trio had the new vaccine on Monday (4th) and Buffy (who currently lives inside) had hers on Tuesday, so they won't have full immunity yet. Could these new buns pose a risk to them?

The new buns will be living outside, but separate to the trio in another part of the garden.

I will obviously take normal precautions, hand washing, clothing etc. Do you think this will be sufficient?

Thanks x

Hi all,

They have been vaccinated fairly recently, but won't of had the new RHDV2 vaccine.

Our trio had the new vaccine on Monday (4th) and Buffy (who currently lives inside) had hers on Tuesday, so they won't have full immunity yet. Could these new buns pose a risk to them?

The new buns will be living outside, but separate to the trio in another part of the garden.

I will obviously take normal precautions, hand washing, clothing etc. Do you think this will be sufficient?

Thanks x

Can you delay bringing the two new Rabbits home for a few more days until your current Rabbit's have had the 7 days to (hopefully) establish a full immune response post VHD2 vaccination ? Personally that is what I would do.

If not then strict bio security will be essential. It may be useful to take a look at 'Santa's' Blog about her experience dealing with a RHD2 outbreak, the Blog entry entitled 'Barrier Nursing' posted on 12th June

https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com/blog/

Also some tips on bio-security here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDLEWAt65bM

Some may consider my opinion to be rather OTT and 'obsessive', I just dont think it is possible to be too careful given the current situation with RHD2

Good luck with the two new Bunnies :)

Hi all,

Thanks x

The manufacturers state that full immunity is reached by 7 days post vaccination. This would mean 3/4 days where the cover on your own buns wasn't quite established.

If you can delay taking the rabbits until Tuesday, or better still the following weekend, I would feel easier (if they were mine)

If that's not possible, then taking all the precautions you can will need to be sufficient. Parsnipbun uses a disinfectant dip tray and changes clothing etc.

You would be very unlucky if they brought VHD2 into your home, but if you can avoid taking the risk, then I would :D

Thank you both for replying.

Unfortunately, we can't delay their arrival. A friend of the owner has offered to bring everything to us, as she has a van. The rabbits are currently 40 miles away and this was the only time they could do it, as they are visiting the area.

Ideally, I would have loved to have the extra days just to be reassured. I will do everything i can to protect them.

Obviously we hadn't envisaged this situation at all. But will be arranging for the two new buns to have the new vaccine a.s.a.p, assuming the vets will have more stock! x

Thank you, I will. It's so worrying isn't it, if only we didn't have these horrible diseases to panic about x

Having had to undergo extream quarantine/barrier nursing myself I cannot stress enough how difficult and time consuming it is, not to mention exhausting worrying and stressful so I don't think the suggestions of delaying are OTT. As this is not possible a couple of things you need to think about:

Changing Clothes between groups is not as practical as it sounds, especially if like me you had 7 groups, so disposible aprons, overalls etc are worth thinking about.

Tie your hair up if long.

Handwashing in between or use disposable latex gloves.

Shoes - Multiple pairs of clogs for sliping on and off gave me extra reassurance but I also used footbaths. You could use disposible shoe covers.

Different cleaning out tools - seperate dustpan/brush etc

Where possible attend the healthy bunnies first.

Suitable vet grade disinfectant such as vikron.

If you have any freeraoming pets such as cats/dog try to keep them away from the bunnies so they don't transfer anything.

Thank you for all the information Amy, I appreciate it.

I'll definitely be a lot happier when the next few days have gone by. If I could have delayed I definitely would have.

I'll be the only one attending to the buns (will keep everyone else away till then) and will be extra vigilant. We do have two dogs, but they don't ever go in the garden, they have 5/6 walks a day instead x

Back