• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding: Am I being too picky?

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
My usual boarders are full so I've been ringing around the local places. All my local boarders only house rabbits in 6x2ft hutches, with no attached run but a run to go into during the day. I'm not happy with this but am I being too picky?
My buns free range in my room. There's 3 of them and I really think that 6ft is just not large enough for them to be in for 12 hours a day for 4 days. :(

What are your thoughts? Also I'm concerned about the risk of RHD2..there are no vaccinations in my area yet and tbh I doubt anybody else would vaccinate their rabbits around here even if they were available.

I think I'm just going to have to accept that I can't go anywhere this year. :(

I certainly wouldn't put 3 rabbits in a 6ft, they may be put out to a run during the day (I personally do not like that setup for a variety of reasons) but when the buns are more active they will be stuck inside the hitch :( but I'm fussy too tbh

I certainly wouldn't put 3 rabbits in a 6ft, they may be put out to a run during the day (I personally do not like that setup for a variety of reasons) but when the buns are more active they will be stuck inside the hitch :( but I'm fussy too tbh

This is my issue. They'll be spending 12+ hours in a prison. :( It might be 6ft but to my buns (who free range in my bedroom) it might as well be a box. :(

I don't think you're being fussy.
My boarder has them in a 6ft double tier hutch with attached run. (Optional to have them moved outside during the day into another run.)

Maybe you could look into a house sitter/visitor? Maybe someone that lives in, or arrange for someone to do 3/4 visits a day?

I don't think you're being fussy.
My boarder has them in a 6ft double tier hutch with attached run. (Optional to have them moved outside during the day into another run.)

Maybe you could look into a house sitter/visitor? Maybe someone that lives in, or arrange for someone to do 3/4 visits a day?

No, I'm just not going to go. It was only for 4 days in Scotland anyway. :( I did want to go but I'm not compromising my rabbits' welfare for it. It was a spur of the moment idea by my Mam so nothing is booked.

I don't want anybody coming into my house and going into my bedroom to see to them. I'm not having some stranger rummaging around my room. If they were in a spare room or outside then I'd be fine for it. :(

Nevermind.

Ive arranged for my older kids to come here when we go away, I will still worry though cause no one can look after them as well as we do it ourselves!! I have gone through our routine a thousand times but am still worried so know how you feel!! Its such a worry isn't it....... sorry I have no decent advice just wanted to say I understand how you feel

My dog walker who boards my dogs when I'm away comes to my house and looks after my 4 buns and hamster. The buns will be confined to their shed and a large enclosure but not loose in the garden as they are a nightmare to get back in at night (me and daughter take an hour to herd up!) The buns will be very cross while I'm away this week end but they soon forgive me. I can sympathise with your dilemma as I haven't found suitable(imo) rabbit boarding near me. I trust my dog walker as she runs her own professional company and relies on word of mouth recommendations. I know you don't like the idea of someone in your house, but it is a solution, and personally I'm past caring about what a tip my house is in!! I think it is a shame for you not to get away for a break. X

All the Bunny boarding place seem to be booked up super early, don't they! I struggled to get my two buns into boarding this year however I eventually found somewhere new to board them. It's worth looking for boarding further away that usual and try calling as many places as possible. My buns have been squeezed in because of a cancellation.
I don't think your being picky, especially as they're used to being free range. I'm exactly the same. Sorry I can't be much help, however from what I've learnt this year is that if you want to board bunnies during summer you're going to have to book them in pretty early. Best of luck. X

It's OK, thanks for the replies. I woke to find Roac (one of my rats) dead this morning so I'm not going away. (There's a thread in General Chat). I knew I'd struggle to find somewhere for the buns, especially around this God forsaken part of England. Losing Roac has just cemented my decision not to go away. I'd be far more stressed knowing they were somewhere strange and not in a suitable setup. Tbh, I think my going away days are over for now. Fiver is 9 in September and Xena isn't far behind and I can't justify boarding them when they are getting on in their years and have health problems.

So sorry about Roac, I saw your other thread :(

It's not a dilemma I've had to face yet, but I can understand why you would be worried about leaving your buns. I was just saying to my dh today that I can't imagine anyone (family or friends really as we probably couldn't afford to board) being willing to look after what will soon be six buns (two more arriving tomorrow :shock:).

I can't remember if you said, but had you thought about asking someone you know? (For next time) x

So sorry about Roac, I saw your other thread :(

It's not a dilemma I've had to face yet, but I can understand why you would be worried about leaving your buns. I was just saying to my dh today that I can't imagine anyone (family or friends really as we probably couldn't afford to board) being willing to look after what will soon be six buns (two more arriving tomorrow :shock:).

I can't remember if you said, but had you thought about asking someone you know? (For next time) x

There is nobody who could house them really. :( They are very destructive and quite a handful so I'd feel awful putting them on someone's plate. As for staying here...all my friends have their own responsibilities so it's not really possible and I'd not feel comfortable with someone just popping in twice a day. I would most certainly never trust any of my family near the rabbits...let alone look after them lol. No offence to them but my family aren't renowned for being good pet owners. :(

Yes, it's difficult isn't it.

My mum won't even go near our rabbits, she doesn't like them at all and doesn't get why I love them. Plus no-one can look after them quite like we can, right? The worry would probably spoil any time away anyway x

I don't think you're being too fussy at all. All the local boarders to me seem to have tiny hutches, not even 6x2s based on the images I've seen. I guess, to many, it's just a quick buck to make as there's less small animal boarders than cat/dog ones. I don't use them (obviously) - my mum tends to look after them when I'm away. We haven't come to a position when everyone would be out the house and no one would be able to look after the pets yet.

If I had the space/money, as well as a rescue, I'd do boarding - and have plenty of space for my boarders to stay in. However, that's a long long way off unfortunately.

I'm sorry you don't feel like you can go away given your current circumstances - and I'm sorry that you don't have anyone you can trust to rabbitsit while you're away. :(

My Mam is OK to look after them when I'm away for a weekend or something. She's good but only because I leave her a mass of instructions and she knows exactly what to do of somebody decides not to eat for whatever reason. I'm also only on the other end of the phone and I ring several times a day to check in hahaha. I rarely go away anyway so this isn't a common occurrence and I wouldn't trust her for any longer than a few days lol. You are all right. Nobody can look after them as well as we do.

I'm glad I'm not going in a way. I don't think I'd enjoy it knowing Rohan was on his own now. :(

Back