• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam dose for a 864g bun please?

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Timmy has just had a dental and his mouth is a bit sore. The vet has described something that is apparantly a direct Analgesic for his mouth, can't remember the name off the top of my head, but none of the pharmacies in town have any so I've ordered some to be bought in tomorrow.

In the meantime I have some Metacam in so was thinking I might give him some of that to help him through the night. What would be a suitable dose for him, bearing in mind he's a little bun at 864g?
He's eating and lively so doesn't need a huge dose IMO.

Thanks in advance :wave:

Timmy has just had a dental and his mouth is a bit sore. The vet has described something that is apparantly a direct Analgesic for his mouth, can't remember the name off the top of my head, but none of the pharmacies in town have any so I've ordered some to be bought in tomorrow.

In the meantime I have some Metacam in so was thinking I might give him some of that to help him through the night. What would be a suitable dose for him, bearing in mind he's a little bun at 864g?

We cant advise you re dose as Metacam is a Prescription Only drug and only the Vet who is treating the Rabbit can prescribe a dose. The dose would not only depend on weight of Rabbit but other issues too such as what drugs were given during the GA and when was the GA, does the Rabbit have any renal problems, is the Rabbit eating etc....etc

Sorry not to be of any help, but it'd be best to call your Vet and ask what dose to give Timmy. Hope he will be feeling better soon xx

If it were my bun I would call the vet and ask them to prescribe a dose for you. If you already have Metacam, they can just indicate what's needed. I had to do that with prescription meds this week :wave:

Thankyou ladies,

The only problem is I just called my vet and it is closed now. I don't want to leave him potentially in pain all night :(

Jane, he's eating ok albeit a bit slower than usual and no renal or other problems. He had bloods while he was at the vet and all was good. Totally understand if you're unable to give me a dosage though xx

Thankyou ladies,

The only problem is I just called my vet and it is closed now. I don't want to leave him potentially in pain all night :(

Jane, he's eating ok albeit a bit slower than usual and no renal or other problems. He had bloods while he was at the vet and all was good. Totally understand if you're unable to give me a dosage though xx

I am not qualified to do so, sorry

There is a dose range noted on this link

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

but it is just a guide and the specific dose for a specific Rabbit can only be given by a Vet, as I said. Sorry !

Noodle was a little bunny, I'll have to see if I can find her weight on medical notes to update (as OH are in disagreement) but I'm guessing 1.2k. She was prescribed dog metacam twice daily & had just 4 drops each dose. That was definitely a low dose but worked for her. She was under Frances Harcourt Brown

eta. She was 1.6 k (just checked). Timmy must be tiny !

Last edited:
I am not qualified to do so, sorry

There is a dose range noted on this link

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Meloxicam.htm

but it is just a guide and the specific dose for a specific Rabbit can only be given by a Vet, as I said. Sorry !

Of course I 100% understand.
Thankyou I'll take a look and go for a lower dose I think. It's either that or leave him without pain relief until tomorrow.

Noodle was a little bunny, I'll have to see if I can find her weight on medical notes to update (as OH are in disagreement) but I'm guessing 1.2k. She was prescribed dog metacam twice daily & had just 4 drops each dose. That was definitely a low dose but worked for her. She was under Frances Harcourt Brown

eta. She was 1.6 k (just checked). Timmy must be tiny !

He is soooo little, such a cutie :love:

Thankyou I'll take a look and go for a lower dose I think. It's either that or leave him without pain relief until tomorrow.

:love: must be like having a baby bun that never grows up. Me personally, I'd try him on 2 drops :)

:love: must be like having a baby bun that never grows up. Me personally, I'd try him on 2 drops :)

It's like permenantly having a baby bunny, and he is an absolute sweetheart with it. Beautiful soul, everyone loves Timmy :love:

How much is 2 drops? My Metacam syringe is in mg x

Hi there! If bunny is eating albeit slowly I would leave the Metacam until tomorrow when you can check with your Vet, or you may have received the medicine the Vet prescribed. He can't be feeling too bad if he is eating.

Hi there! If bunny is eating albeit slowly I would leave the Metacam until tomorrow when you can check with your Vet, or you may have received the medicine the Vet prescribed. He can't be feeling too bad if he is eating.

I would go with this. Eating on their own is always a good sign at this stage. He may also have had some pain relief while he was at the vet - this should see him through 24 hours and then you will have sorted out the prescription.

Ok guys I've just been sitting with him and he is alert and curious, and ate a Crunchie so I will leave it until tomorrow :wave:

Thankyou for your advice x

Back