• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will my rabbit enjoy and be okay living outdoors?

Hi,
So myself and my sister really want pet rabbits. My mom is on board. My dad doesn't mind us getting animals once they live outside. We have one well mannered indoor dog and our indoor/outdoor cat recently died. We live in Ireland so its often cold and rainy. We want to get two rabbits so that they're never lonely and every day we will bring them inside for cuddles and social time etc. We would get them a really big hutch and run and lots of hay etc for outside so that they can keep warm. We have a big garden so I'm worried about the fact that we have foxes roaming around. We also have millions of wild rabbits, would they pass on diseases? If we protected the hutch and run with even more wire would it prevent predators from getting in? We were considering the possibility of putting the hutch in the garage (we don't keep cars there) but we previously had mice in there so we are worried about them getting into the hutch and run. What are your thoughts on all of this? Would they be ok outdoors? Would they have a nice and happy life?
Thanks!

Rabbits would be fine outside with the proper accommodation. You'll need a secure hutch linked to a run, or a shed and an aviary. The Rabbit Welfare Association have some general advice here: http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAbrochuremaster.pdf

They'll need vaccinations annual to protect them from the diseases wild rabbits carry.

Two rabbits is a good idea, although you'll need to be careful they aren't boy and girl or you'll have hundreds! You might find a rescue if you have one near you would have some pre-neutered rabbits looking for homes and will help you with advice on a suitable set up :)

The set-up would ideally have to be on paving slabs to stop any wild rabbits digging into your bunnies' territory or them digging out. Domestic rabbits might get stressed if there were wildies nearby - I don't know for sure! They would certainly get frightened if foxes came in! Getting 2 rabbits is a good idea but 2 of the same sex might start fighting when they reach puberty so would have to be neutered, and a boy/girl is the best combination but would have to be separated at around 14 weeks until they were neutered, otherwise the female could get pregnant.

You could make a big set-up in the garage, the occasional mouse doesn't ever seem to cause problems but might do if you are overrun by them. Inside the garage the rabbits would be protected from the weather - has it got a window? Also they would be safer from predators as I think foxes coming into your garden could be a problem.

Lots of hay is good thinking, not just for warmth but it is essential for bunnies' teeth and digestion. Rabbits cope well with cold weather though as they have thick coats :D

Back