• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mousey Update

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Mouse was putty in FHB's hands (all my bunnies were) but with all other vets she has been pretty awkward . She bit Heather at Crab Lane (she wasn't burritoed then). Joey received an impressive burrito at Crab Lane from Alison. But I don't recall any other vets doing it.

So my question is, do you trusted vets burrito your bunnies - obviously not if they are looking at a body issue but to check ears & teeth?

Mouse is seeing a new vet tomorrow about her baldy ear (assuming I can dislodge Boo's tongue) & I really think she would benefit from a burrito but I;m pretty rubbish at them. Are they in most vets handling regime?

Mouse always leaps off the consulting table in to my arms (for a moment I think she loves me, the daggers I get back home tell a different story :lol:)

Last edited:
Mouse was putty in FHB's hands (all my bunnies were) but with all other vets she has been pretty awkward . She bit Heather at Crab Lane (she wasn't burritoed then). Joey received an impressive burrito at Crab Lane from Alison. But I don't recall any other vets doing it.

So my question is, do you trusted vets burrito your bunnies - obviously not if they are looking at a body issue but to check ears & teeth?

Mouse is seeing a new vet tomorrow about her baldy ear (assuming I can dislodge Boo's tongue) & I really think she would benefit from a burrito but I;m pretty rubbish at them. Are they in most vets handling regime?

Mouse always leaps off the consulting table in to my arms (for a moment I think she loves me, the daggers I get back home tell a different story :lol:)

My Vet has never used the technique on any of my Rabbits as there has been no need for her to do so, thankfully !. I expect she would use a BB if a specific situation called for it though.

My vet used a bunny burrito on Alfie a few weeks ago so that she could clean the abscess on his face thoroughly with no risk of him leaping off at the wrong time. She has rabbits of her own too though, so that probably makes a difference to her handling techniques.

My daughter's a vet nurse at the practice too and they'll often use the technique if needed. (It's generally less stressful I expect for the bunny patient not to be wrapped up in a towel so they'll do without it if at all possible.)

I've noticed that Frances always has (had:cry:) a towel on the table for rabbit patients but usually only wraps them for the dental check, but not every patient gets wrapped. I *think* Ruth does the same, definitely always has a towel on the table. I don't think I've ever seen Allison use a towel so I've not seen how impressively she can burrito but I would imagine there's no messing with her if she decides to go for it ;)

Back in the day when Tinkerbell has more attitude I'd be very nervous about anybody trying to examine her without a towel to restrain her in. That was actually one of the early reasons I made the decision to travel 20 miles to Frances. One of the local vets tried to examine a feisty Tink and ended up throwing a thick towel over her and I was meant to restrain her, I had no idea which end was the head and just had to pin her to the table, she must have been terrified. The vet then said she would need sedating to be examined... A week later she saw Frances who didn't give Tink the opportunity to behave like a feral cat it was amazing to see.

Hope all goes well and you are happy with the handling, diagnosis etc.

Thank You all :)

BB- Alisons burrito was really good ! OH & I were talking about Frances amazing handling skills last night & the way your bunny would all of a sudden go from sat on the table to bundled up in a little burrito. They always looked so cute & seemed so calm. Mine seemed to get burritoed all the time but that could be just that Noodle was the main patient & her issues were mainly around her face.

I shall take a towel with me & hope for the best.

Calm Mouse vibes & no ear infection vibes would be most appreciated.

Todays vet has 2 rabbits so maybe she can burrito too, although I have three & only done it successfully once.

BB are brilliant handling techniques. They work well on angry cats, scared guineas and wiggly rodents.
If done correctly the animals stress levels will be reduced as they feel all snuggled. If done wrong they get more stressed.

I used to have one bunnie that came into practice every 4/6 weeks for conscious dental work. He was so good with his little BB, made trimming his teeth so much easier.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BB are brilliant handling techniques. They work well on angry cats, scared guineas and wiggly rodents.
If done correctly the animals stress levels will be reduced as they feel all snuggled. If done wrong they get more stressed.

I used to have one bunnie that came into practice every 4/6 weeks for conscious dental work. He was so good with his little BB, made trimming his teeth so much easier.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I totally agree:thumb:

BB- Alisons burrito was really good ! OH & I were talking about Frances amazing handling skills last night & the way your bunny would all of a sudden go from sat on the table to bundled up in a little burrito. They always looked so cute & seemed so calm. Mine seemed to get burritoed all the time but that could be just that Noodle was the main patient & her issues were mainly around her face.

Todays vet has 2 rabbits so maybe she can burrito too, although I have three & only done it successfully once.

Vibes are on their way !! X

Vibes for Mouse. xxxx

During the RAW check ups, only River needed to be put into a BB - she still wriggled out several times before it stuck. River has fear aggression and it was all too much handling for her. Poor love. She's getting better slowly though - she is now willingly hand fed, which is amazing considering where she started.

No never had a vet use a BB on my rabbits. I do love it though when they snuggle up close to you in the vets as though you are the most trusted person in the whole wide world, as they think completely differently when they are at home.

Loads of vibes for the lovely Mouse. I really hope it goes well and that she doesn't have an ear infection.

Thank You all for the Mouseypie vibes ! TLC vibes returned for Rivers continued improvement

Her appointment is at 3:40pm so I'll update you at tea time

Thank You all for the Mouseypie vibes ! TLC vibes returned for Rivers continued improvement

Her appointment is at 3:40pm so I'll update you at tea time

Thank you. Undoing damage is hard work, but at least she has Takumi to help her. :)

Oh, I'll keep Mouse in my thoughts til then. Hope it's nothing untoward. xxx

My vet had to do the burrito for Peanut Butter as he was so difficult to handle and liable to leap off the table :shock:

Sending Mouse lots of vibes for her appointment this afternoon xxx

Our vet nurses are good at grabbing Lopsy in the right places: he's not needed a burrito there yet. He's incredibly accomplished at backing out of burritos, or charging out forwards: he's very opportunistic. I can't get him in them because his legs go everywhere so I've no hope, and I've tried carpet and wooden floors and neither is helpful! At the vets they're both much more curious about the floor than anything else: open the carrier too much and the other one's trying to nosebump everything in sight!

Hope Mouse's ear is OK/fixable without problem :)

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think they all or nearly all got wrapped up. I think it's just a reflection of how you describe it that I didn't even notice as it was done with such ease.

Looking forward to hopefully a positive experience being fed back.

She was a good girl for her exam - a little squirmy but good.

There is no firm diagnoses -the vet didn't think it was fur or ear mites (nor did I:). There is a bit of gunk in Mouse's right ear so there is a possibility of infection. She has been prescribed Sulfatrim orally at 0.6ml twice daily (she is 2.9k). Back in 2 weeks. I've never used sulfatrim before - anybody any thoughts / experiences? I'm assuming / seriously hoping it is rabbit safe when taken orally

Thanks

No idea about the treatment regime but the consult sounds like a success? Did you consider her a 'rabbit person', or even better 'a rabbit vet'? It would be good to think there's someone local who is 'invested in rabbits'.

No idea about the treatment regime but the consult sounds like a success? Did you consider her a 'rabbit person', or even better 'a rabbit vet'? It would be good to think there's someone local who is 'invested in rabbits'.

I took OH in to the app to get a second opinion of her (he was directed not to speak :lol:). She seemed really genuine & was kind to the bunnies & handled them well. She has worked with Frances on a similar case to Mouse & wanted to read up on those notes & do some research about Stronghold ;) ? Jury is still out BB. I like that she has 2 rabbits herself. Says her fave patients are cats & rabbits.

Back