• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to bladder flush ??

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
So Oliver has had a 2 bladder flushes a year apart due to sludge. It has been 10 months since his last one. About 6 weeks ago the vet said she could feel sludge in his bladder.

On previous 2 occasions I have seen some sludge but I haven't actually seen any sludge for months.

Anyhow Olicer is peeing small amounts but lots of times . At the vet 6 weeks ago there was a tiny amount of blood in his pee so he was on baytril for 17 days (was supposed to be 21 days but he was going off his food a bit) And outside the litter tray alot. He has also reduced the amount of hay bales he is eatting and is grazing a bit more. However I have weighed him and he isn't loosing any weight and he is running around and going mad in the mornings and evening and binkies.

So question is as he is in great form other than the reduction in hay eatting and the peeing should I arrange a flush? I have given him metacam this past couple of days. Could the infection be back ?? Or as I posted about before Olibe had an issue with tight foreskin (ouch) which the vet stretched at his last flush but he did say it may tighten again so could this be the reason tge sludge isn't coming out ?? I guess I need a take him to the vet but I would rather less stress of 1 nearly 4 hr round trip for a flush instead of just having a look.

So Oliver has had a 2 bladder flushes a year apart due to sludge. It has been 10 months since his last one. About 6 weeks ago the vet said she could feel sludge in his bladder.

On previous 2 occasions I have seen some sludge but I haven't actually seen any sludge for months.

Anyhow Olicer is peeing small amounts but lots of times . At the vet 6 weeks ago there was a tiny amount of blood in his pee so he was on baytril for 17 days (was supposed to be 21 days but he was going off his food a bit) And outside the litter tray alot. He has also reduced the amount of hay bales he is eatting and is grazing a bit more. However I have weighed him and he isn't loosing any weight and he is running around and going mad in the mornings and evening and binkies.

So question is as he is in great form other than the reduction in hay eatting and the peeing should I arrange a flush? I have given him metacam this past couple of days. Could the infection be back ?? Or as I posted about before Olibe had an issue with tight foreskin (ouch) which the vet stretched at his last flush but he did say it may tighten again so could this be the reason tge sludge isn't coming out ?? I guess I need a take him to the vet but I would rather less stress of 1 nearly 4 hr round trip for a flush instead of just having a look.

To me it sounds as though he may have quite a build up of sludge, this often presents in the way you describe re his peeing little but often. Not seeing any sludge in his wee is not necessarily an indication that there is none in his bladder, given his history it may be that the sludge is too for him thick to pass. I would request an abdominal Xray and full blood profile. The Xray to assess his bladder and kidneys (for signs of bladder sludge/bladder stones/kidney stones) and the bloods to check his major organ function, especially his kidneys. Whether he would need another bladder wash out would depend on the results of the Xray/Bloods. The Vet may also take a urine sample via Cystocentesis, which gives a more accurate result than a sample taken 'free flow'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...div_TechniquesRabbit/Cystocentesis_Rabbit.htm

You may already have seen this information, but I'll post the links just incase you haven't

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...v=onepage&q=hypercalciuria in rabbits&f=false

Glad to hear that Oliver seems bright enough within himself xx

Thanks Jane. Think I will take him tomorrow then. I guess I am just anxious about the GA - Codys was only last month but Oliver has had a sedation / GA for a flush twice now but I still worry! Just needed a bit of reassurance foe the vet trip. Will read those links as it dies no harm to refresh myself on this .Thank u x

Hi Nicky :wave:

I think, unfortunately, that it seems to be time for him to have his flush again. The fact that you haven't seen much or any sludge could just mean that it's all inside the bladder. The tight foreskin is an additional factor in him not peeing it out.

However, it's good that he's grazing, as that has a lot more moisture than dry hay :thumb:

I think if I were you, I would take him. I know it's such a journey for you, but my thinking is that it would be necessary in a few weeks time anyway, and if you can go sooner whilst he's still good weight and well within himself, then I would do that.

How are you? :D

Thanks Jane. Think I will take him tomorrow then. I guess I am just anxious about the GA - Codys was only last month but Oliver has had a sedation / GA for a flush twice now but I still worry! Just needed a bit of reassurance foe the vet trip. Will read those links as it dies no harm to refresh myself on this .Thank u x

That's OK, I hope the appointment goes well for him xx

Hi Max :wave: yes it seem a flush is due doesn't it. I'm not very good at making decisions on my own !! Aw unfortunately he isn't grazing on grass just hay bales and hay. He always preferred hay over grass oddly. So for his sludge issue that doesn't help but I have a water bowl beside him in the bedroom where he sleeps during the day and in the kitchen to encourage him to drink more and he does drink out of it. Him and Cody are snuggled together under the table now :) so if I don't go tomorrow it will be some time this week when I ring in the morning to see which vet is on..

He never pees in the bedroom ever. There's carpet there he's such a good man.

Aw I am doing good Max thank u. Cody is comfortable, still on his meds but eatting alot better so he is back for a check up on 20th July for ear and eye vet.

How r u and ur fur family doing ??

Hi Max :wave: yes it seem a flush is due doesn't it. I'm not very good at making decisions on my own !! Aw unfortunately he isn't grazing on grass just hay bales and hay. He always preferred hay over grass oddly. So for his sludge issue that doesn't help but I have a water bowl beside him in the bedroom where he sleeps during the day and in the kitchen to encourage him to drink more and he does drink out of it. Him and Cody are snuggled together under the table now :) so if I don't go tomorrow it will be some time this week when I ring in the morning to see which vet is on..

He never pees in the bedroom ever. There's carpet there he's such a good man.

Aw I am doing good Max thank u. Cody is comfortable, still on his meds but eatting alot better so he is back for a check up on 20th July for ear and eye vet.

How r u and ur fur family doing ??

I'm glad to hear you're all soldiering on together Nicky :D

We are fine! As you know our army creaks at the seams at times, and I think we're doing a bit of that now. However, nothing we can't handle as a bunch :D

Thank you for asking :wave:

Aw I hope the creaking of ur army quietens soon . I hope nothing too serious. Sending vibes ur way. X Yes we r soldiering on . Got sone nice hawthorn branches for the boys and Cody seems to be enjoying them.

Aw I hope the creaking of ur army quietens soon . I hope nothing too serious. Sending vibes ur way. X Yes we r soldiering on . Got sone nice hawthorn branches for the boys and Cody seems to be enjoying them.

Did you decide to head off to the vets today Nicky? :wave:

Hi Max. No I didn't as trying to work in a day when vet is in. Rang them yesterday and looks like best date is Monday coming. Though Oliver is in very good form apart from a little less eating and the peeing like I said so I am not panicking just yet! Thanks for asking.

Hi Max. No I didn't as trying to work in a day when vet is in. Rang them yesterday and looks like best date is Monday coming. Though Oliver is in very good form apart from a little less eating and the peeing like I said so I am not panicking just yet! Thanks for asking.

Yes, it doesn't sound like an emergency, thank goodness. Hoping all goes smoothly and you can see your vet of choice ;)

Back