• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Said I wouldn't do it!

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

As some of you know I recently rescued a lovely doe, who we have named Buffy.

She's been through a lot, so the vet suggested we wait a couple of months to get her spayed and then after a month we could go ahead with our plans to get her a 'husbun'.

I promised myself I wouldn't look yet (and even advised tlcwrites on the same subject :oops:) but I've only gone and done it. I've found a lovely male in a rescue, that sounds perfect, but I'm just not in a position to go ahead yet. So wish I hadn't looked now because I keep thinking about them.

In all honesty a rescues not going to want to reserve for that long when another home could come along.

In a side note, he's blind, but otherwise healthy and happy. Has anyone on here had a blind rabbit? Do they need to be looked after differently? It says he's looking for a calm female to help him, but I think he has already been returned once as he didn't get on with someone's doe.

Not sure what I want from this thread really, just wanted to get it out.

Thanks x

You could contact them to show your interest, they may reserve for you. If you don't ask you won't know. if you have her spayed now then the usual advice is to wait 6 weeks after for hormones to subside.

My rabbit Boots is not blind, but his eyesight isn't brilliant, he's also very deaf. He hates change in his surroundings, he sits confused and scans a lot, so I keep all his furniture in the same place. Other than that I treat him normally. He's got an amazing sense of smell to compensate though, he can smell a banana being peeled from two rooms away :lol:

If they won't reserve him he might not go anyway, sadly they are often in rescue for a while.

Oh how lovely that you are thinking of adopting an extra needs bun. I'd let the rescue know you are interested. The likelihood is he will still be around when you are ready

Zoobec - Boots & Boo sound so similar (only exception being Boo doesn't care if you change anything around)

I can fully understand why you looked :) I'm afraid it's exactly what I would have done :)

I would suggest that you contact the rescue and ask. I think rescues are very used to people reserving rabbits for quite a while. In our case, we reserved our rabbits then had to wait for their shed to be delivered. As it was the middle of winter after the shed was delivered it was a while before OH could erect it due to the weather. He also built the rest of their accommodation to join onto the shed (different runs) before we collected the rabbits.

Also, as Zoobec rightly says, even if they won't reserve him until you are ready, it is very likely he will still be there when the time is right.

You've got nothing to lose by contacting them :)

Oh how lovely that you are thinking of adopting an extra needs bun. I'd let the rescue know you are interested. The likelihood is he will still be around when you are ready

Zoobec - Boots & Boo sound so similar (only exception being Boo doesn't care if you change anything around)

Boo must be adorable too then ;) :love:

Just thought I have adapted cleaning out sessions so that I clean one tray out at a time, replace with clean litter and put it back in place as soon as I can. He Didnt like 3 trays on the floor empty!

Hahahahaha. Hahahahahaha.

When is Buffy being spayed?

In addition to this: you don't know if you don't contact.

I'm relieved to be taking a break from my tizzy, but I still get excited. My problem is that Persephone is a BIG character in a small package. So, I need to think carefully...

Our Trixie isn't blind but she has poor eyesight. I try to talk to her as I'm approaching so that she doesn't get suddenly scared, but like humans with vision problems I suspect she uses her hearing and smell to make up for it a lot of the time. Anything that rustles, she thinks is food! If you can bond them successfully I'm sure he will love having a bunny he can follow around, that's what Trixie normally does. The only time we had a problem was when she managed to get up the stairs and then couldn't work out how to get down again!

Thanks everyone (tlc - that made me laugh :D)

I might just send them an email explaining our situation, I guess it can't hurt. But perhaps just showing an interest and obviously if an amazing home comes along in the meantime then that's better for him. Also, he is an hour away from us, although on their website they have re-homed even further away.

We have a lot to do before we will be ready though. Not only do we have to get Buffy spayed, but we still have to sort out the accommodation.

Nothing booked with the vets yet for spaying. If we wait the two months they suggested then we have another five weeks, plus recovery time, ah that's a long time isn't it!

Thanks also for the info about blind rabbits x

My Louie was totally blind, never stopped him doing anything although he did occasionally end up bashing into things when running around the garden!

When we moved house I was really worried he would be confused but he was amazing, settled in straightaway, found his littertray and just carried on as normal :)

Aw that's lovely that he didn't let it bother him. You must miss him x

There's something really heartwarming about the thought that Buffy (or another rabbit, if it's not meant to be) might sort of act as his guide and look after him :love:

Back