• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving the buns overnight?

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
So I have to go back home tomorrow to help my sister (one of her piggies has a sore eye & is going off his food - I need to go to the vets with her to pay the bill :( ).

Anyway, I may be going out with her for the night as I've not seen the gang in a lot time & would be nice to catch up. I was going to go in the afternoon, and OH was going to follow later that evening after giving the buns an early dinner.

I'm just worried about leaving them over night - we'll probably be back around 10/11am.

They have a large double room (approx 90sqft)... would they be ok for one night do you think?

Bunnies can go downhill in moments. It could happen while you're downstairs watching television, or while you're with them. Having said that, I must have left mine overnight about a hundred times, and they managed perfectly well. I also worked long hours, which a lot of rabbit keepers won't do, so mine were used to not seeing me for long stretches of time. Expect to see the bunny bum when you get back, even if you've set up all the food, water, treats etc.

Bunnies can go downhill in moments. It could happen while you're downstairs watching television, or while you're with them. Having said that, I must have left mine overnight about a hundred times, and they managed perfectly well. I also worked long hours, which a lot of rabbit keepers won't do, so mine were used to not seeing me for long stretches of time. Expect to see the bunny bum when you get back, even if you've set up all the food, water, treats etc.

I should have added - we have cameras set up in their room so I can keep an eye that they're still laying in their normal places etc.

We've left ours alone overnight once to go to a wedding from about 5pm to 11am and they were fine. We gave them an extra large dinner to cover their evening and breakfast feeds, and that was all. I think it's OK to do once in a while (I mean like once a year tops, not once a month), and I would never do it for more than 20 hours, and only if in prime health.

It's not much different to being out for a very long day in my opinion...

I should have added - we have cameras set up in their room so I can keep an eye that they're still laying in their normal places etc.

is there someone who can get to them if they need help? if so, i'd think you could go away with complete peace of mind.

i recently left ours alone for the first time since we added Mouse over a year ago. They were left from about 3pm one day til 10pm the next with somebody popping in to give them breakfast & check all was ok about 9am. I was really worried but needn't have been. Go out & enjoy yourselves - esp with the back up of bunny cam

I think there's nothing wrong with that at all. We have often had to leave Milo over night (he's an indoor bunny so has lots of room). We ensure he has plenty of sources of hay and water, lots of toys out. He never worries. On occasion when we've had to be away more than one night my mother in law pops in for a play and to feed pellets/veg but he genuinely doesn't worry. Of course its important to be a responsible bunny owner and not leave them with no food /drink for days but you have to be realistic. You can't be there 100% of the time and if its over night you'd have been in bed anyway so they wouldn't have had you there with them!

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm home with them now. I've got a killing headache & I'm very grouchy/moody so best I'm not out with friends - I get very snappy.

The girls have been home alone all day and we got lots of attention when we got home. They normally ignore us when we're home so was nice they showed us some attention.

Sisters guinea is okay - lots of eye drops, pain killers and he may potentially lose his eye but i personally doubt this.

Back