• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Boos tongue Vs mites - opinions please

joey&boo

Wise Old Thumper
Mouse has a baldy patch on her loppiest ear :( It is gradually getting bigger, there is no dandruff that I can see. None of the bunnies are scratching more than usual.

I suspect that it is either Boo over grooming her or she has mites.

Boo, as I have posted on here before, spends many hours assertively washing Mouse's ears, especially the one that is more loppy & going bald. I'm curious about why Mouse might be so badly affected by mites too, she is a super clean bunny & has never seemed healthier.

I can't get to my usual vet without a day messing round on trains taxis & buses which is super stressful for them (or wait 10 days til OH can take me). As such I am thinking of taking them to a pets@home vet owing to their proximity & easier access hours & that treatment is simple? but am I missing something? I know not to be fobbed off with the topically applied invectermin. I'm aware my trusted vet would attempt to check Mouse's teeth but equally aware Mouse will accept no such attempts from any vet. She is the perfect bunny but far from the perfect bunny patient (very squirmy & nippy).

I'm also considering whether it would be useful to go down the diagnostic route 1st & ask vet to do skin scrappings prior to treatment - how effective are they as a diagnostic tool? Because half of me thinks it is Boo I'm more reluctant than usual to go straight in with drug treatment

Any thoughts or comments would be very welcome? Apologies if this sounds all over the place, that's what comes from thinking aloud:lol:

IMG_3449_zpsyl1uvtdw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Personally as well as examining the outer ear I'd also want the Vet to take a good look into the ear canal. IME Rabbits may have their ear/ears over-groomed by a companion Rabbit if there is some ear infection going on. The infection may be mild and sub-clinical as far as symptoms go. The only 'symptom' being the over grooming done by the companion Rabbit xx

Thanks Jane. I'm glad I asked as it looks like I was missing something...there is no way I'd take Mouseypie to an inferior vet with a possible ear infection so Crab Lane it shall be. She had head tilt on her second arrival at Camp Nibble - she has a inactive EC positive test & responded really well to whatever treatment she had back then but of course that could have been an ear infection. Or indeed EC then, ear now (or mites or too much love :lol:)Her ears have been lovely & clean at all but her first check up (Frances noted a small amount of wax) but obviously things can change. In the whole time we have had her she occasionally goes to scratch & her head pulls in towards her body. I will have described it really poorly to my vet but she thought it might possibly be related to her larynx issue, which is now symptom free bar the snoring. I've always had in the back of my mind that it feels like an ear issue, more because its how a human might respond if they got water in their ear. I'll have to try & video it .

Thanks Jane. I'm glad I asked as it looks like I was missing something...there is no way I'd take Mouseypie to an inferior vet with a possible ear infection so Crab Lane it shall be. She had head tilt on her second arrival at Camp Nibble - she has a inactive EC positive test & responded really well to whatever treatment she had back then but of course that could have been an ear infection. Or indeed EC then, ear now (or mites or too much love :lol:)Her ears have been lovely & clean at all but her first check up (Frances noted a small amount of wax) but obviously things can change. In the whole time we have had her she occasionally goes to scratch & her head pulls in towards her body. I will have described it really poorly to my vet but she thought it might possibly be related to her larynx issue, which is now symptom free bar the snoring. I've always had in the back of my mind that it feels like an ear issue, more because its how a human might respond if they got water in their ear. I'll have to try & video it .

Hopefully it isn't an ear infection, but you are wise to get a Rabbit savvy Vet to take a look. Good luck xx

Please give me a shout if you want a lift rather than all the stress and hassle of public transport... I'm easily in your debt for it anyway.

Please give me a shout if you want a lift rather than all the stress and hassle of public transport... I'm easily in your debt for it anyway.

I can't for the life of me think how I'm in your debt? That is a truly lovely offer, thank you BB. However they are my responsibility & I shall sort something but maybe hold that offer in reserve in an emergency .

I'm going to PM you about something related :)

Back