• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think my wee stray bunny has gone :( U/D They're alive! :D

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Not to the Bridge necessarily, but the last time I saw him he was at the edge of our driveway, late, a few nights ago. I haven't seen him come out from under our porch since, (we have had some torrential rain that I hope hasn't flooded under there) but I do notice him (or perhaps a few other bunnies like him) off down the road with what may be his parents. I think he's joined the warren, or maybe even gone off to build one of his own.

Blackavar, the black male (I think) bunny who has likely parented all these offspring was in our yard quite a few times over the last month and chasing Mythril (as I called him) and it may be that he's had enough of that.

When I last saw him he hopped far down the road opposite of where I see the other bunnies living in the bushes and into another neighbor's driveway. I do not know if that person has a dog who lives outside or not, but I hope Mythril hasn't been harmed.

I know the neighbors directly down from there have a large dog that would probably think nothing of killing a small creature like him. So I fear he may be lost to us. :cry:

I also have a nest of robins in my rafters that may be having difficulty hatching their brood. It's been over the two week period that they should've started showing their faces. I hear no peeping. No birds are in the nest during the day and only one cross looking mum/dad appears to be there at night. I am losing all my wildlife. :(

phone%2Bpix%2Bto%2B6-9-16%2B011.jpg

No idea why I am posting this, but since events of my life lately are taking such a sad turn, I guess misery loves company. :(

I will miss seeing Mythril doing his mad binkies and flops and us exchanging hummings with one another as I would sit in my garden till the stupid hours just watching him. If you're out there little one, be happy and build a big family for yourself, and if you have left this world, be at peace dear one, I am sorry I was unable to help you find a home where you'd be cared for. :cry:

phone%2Bpix%2Band%2Bvids%2Bto%2B5-17-16%2B021.jpg

Last edited:
Sadly we see death quite often in our garden, especially at this time of the year :( We have so many Corvids around who successfully raid the nests of smaller songbirds. A couple of days ago the OH found a fledgling Robin flopping around and bleeding, who had been caught and discarded by something, possibly next door's cat. The male Pheasant who visits the garden daily seems to have a more pronounced limp and our hearts are in our mouths sometimes as he attempts to cross the road outside the house (we live on a bend) to visit the hayfield which is the other part of his territory in case he gets hit by a vehicle.

Yes, it's a tough life out there.

Let's hope he's gone off to see the world :)

We were at Highfields Lake yesterday and there were a lot of limping birds: the huge juvenile swan had a limp but was going OK, and one of the young woodpigeons too. Loads of the coots get limps because they a ruthlessly attack each other :roll:

We also saw lots of dinky bunnies there: they were wary enough to be OK though, unlike the ones me and the OH see aroun dthe Science Park path. Those, if we see them, usually hop a few feet from us and hunker down in the low grass. There are plenty of bun-hunting cats around and, well, with survivial instincts like that... We don't see many dinky bunnies there, just the not-very-hopeful ones, but we do see older young bunnies, who generally scarper towards or even into the undergrowth if you stop to look or get too close :)

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry MM, but let's hope he's gone off to find himself a bunwife, and build a family together. I was out one evening last week, in my pyjamas, up the stepladder, in the rain. I'd spotted a fledging sparrow, on the shed roof, who was being dive bombed by vicious gulls. I stayed there keeping an eye on him, til his mum came back, and they flew up into the thick bushes. I was cold and wet, but it was worth it !

Awww MimzMum, you have such a big heart :love: I hope little bunny is just off somewhere chasing some girl bunnies and may reappear soon :) I hate not knowing what happened to my squirrel friend. The other squirrels hated him/her which may have accounted for why half it's tail was missing, and an old chap who lives near me said people on another road were trapping and drowning them. He/She was such a funny little fella, and would peer through the window and if he/she saw me, would go to the back door to wait for a walnut.

Good news! :D
Just last night, I saw Mythril! :) I do believe now this must be a female bunny, as she was not far from Blackavar (the bunny I thought might be fathering all these former farmed/released bunnies and their babies.) I saw Mythril first and then realized Blackavar was nearby, in the ferns under the trees. Mythril was definitely following him in a subservient manner. Thank God she is safe! I know Blackavar will take care of her...it will be sad if more bunnies are born into the wild, but they are thriving here despite the odds. I wish there were some way to take them all in out of the elements, especially with all the rain we've had in the last few weeks, but there is no chance I can do that. :(

And...wait for it...it's been about three to five days now, but the clutch of robins hatched. All four are doing well as far as I can see. They were very weak at first, but now they are quite vocal any time I open my front door (I think they feel the vibration and think mum has arrived at the nest) and it's so sweet to see those little beaks wobbling skywards. One of them was hanging over the side earlier today looking seasick though, poor thing. It's getting pretty crowded in there with four little growing bodies, they made a tight little nest up there.

I'm sorry I have no new pictures of either of these beautiful families, but I thought I should let everyone know they are safe and sound at the moment. :) And fortunately not too many fireworks this evening either. Although the few I did hear made me feel like I was in downtown Fallujah. :(

Awww yay!! They must have just gone to ground somewhere to hide from the weather! We were taking down our aviary yesterday and where the leaves had stacked up it had made compost :shock: We noticed a lovely baby robin, hadn't got the red breast yet, watching and flying down to see what tasty bits he/she could find in this new pile of soil! It was so tame! I hope your babies thrive and fledge soon :love:

Back