• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Latest Information From the RWAF Re RHD2 Vaccinations

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
As always we must emphasise the need to vaccinate rabbits against myxomatosis and RVHD1&2.

View this map to see what has been reported in and around your area. Click on a marker to view details

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1b_zCIMmtSKNdsYt3RiEOkHjgH8Y

Red = confirmed RVHD
Yellow = suspected RVHD
Black = myxomatosis

We have to stress that these are only the cases that have been reported, there are very likely many more that haven't been diagnosed or that are not reported to the map owner.

Advice from our vet Richard Saunders is that all rabbits need to be vaccinated whether they live indoors or outside.

Both Nobivac and Filavac are needed. Leave 2 weeks between the different vaccines. In areas of high risk it's recommended that Filavac should be given 6-monthly rather than annually. Check this with your vet. Your vet should be able to order Filavac any of three wholesalers, NVS, Centaur or Harry Schein, or direct from Filavie in France if they prefer. We do know that some vets already have it in stock and have begun vaccination programmes

If you haven't already seen Richard's very informative webinar, that is still available here http://therabbitvet.com/webinar/vhd-rhd-2-update-rabbit-haemorrhagic-disease

We have been sending out some information with FAQs to vets as well so that they can answer your queries. Here are the FAQs which you may find helpful:

Do existing RHD1 vaccines work?

Because the mortality rate is lower with RHD2, any test using a small number of rabbits could easily show protection just because none of them were going to die anyway. There is some anecdotal evidence that RHD1 vaccines have some short term effect, but nothing peer reviewed.

How much will the vaccine cost?

This depends on vial sizes ordered, the number of rabbits one has, the specific vaccine used, and the pricing structure of your veterinary practice. Please discuss this with your veterinary practice.

How will you get it from your vet?

NVS have asked us to slow things down as they are getting overwhelmed. Please only go through your vets, and ask them to look out for our updates before calling NVS, to avoid overwhelming them still further.

Your vets will need their own license, which, now all the info is on the VMD site and is approved, should be straightforward to do. However, this is not as simple as writing a prescription, and your vet may not see enough rabbits for this to be a practical option for them.

What dose regime is suggested?

Please remember that the use of these products is both off licence (although under the Cascade), and subject to the VMD’s directions on importation of immunological products. As a result, although the manufacturers of the Filavac product suggest that vaccination can be at the same time as the Nobivac RHD-Myxo, as long as it is not in the same site or the same syringe, standard advice with immunological products not licensed for simultaneous administration is to space them out by at least 2 weeks.

The manufacturers advice is to administer a single dose of the vaccine, followed by annual boosters in low risk situations, and 6 monthly in the case of breeding does at high risk. In the UK, I would suggest that high risk situations include rescue centres and breeders, unless they have a strict quarantine policy, and those rabbits which have greater contact with wild rabbits, as well as any geographical location where cases have been reported recently.

one confirmed case of vhd2 is in rochdale so very close to us. will mention to the vets next time we go to see if they'd recommend bisc have the new vaccine six monthly instead :wave:

one confirmed case of vhd2 is in rochdale so very close to us. will mention to the vets next time we go to see if they'd recommend bisc have the new vaccine six monthly instead :wave:

i knew of the Rochdale case, should of asked when there on Tuesday for vaccine, let us know what Aidan says regarding if he recommends yearly or 6monlthly :wave:

Thanks for the update! You'll see a notable absence on the map...I have no idea what I've done to upset them and if it's human or technology cause, but no matter how many times I mention it, mine never seems to appear on there even though new cases are appearing all around!

Richard's webinar is great, I would thoroughly recommend it if you haven't watched it already. My favourite bit is when it all goes quiet towards the end and Richard tentatively says 'hello?' I know it's not the point of the webinar, but it cracks me up.

Thanks for the update! You'll see a notable absence on the map...I have no idea what I've done to upset them and if it's human or technology cause, but no matter how many times I mention it, mine never seems to appear on there even though new cases are appearing all around!

Richard's webinar is great, I would thoroughly recommend it if you haven't watched it already. My favourite bit is when it all goes quiet towards the end and Richard tentatively says 'hello?' I know it's not the point of the webinar, but it cracks me up.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that giggled at that !! In my head to the 'Hello' I added 'Can you hear me mother' !! :lol::oops:

Thanks very much for this Jane. My vets are waiting for vaccines - they had them in stock a few weeks ago but ran out very quickly - so I'm relieved to see that there are no cases anywhere near me. Slightly helps to put my mind at rest, although I'll still be getting them vaccinated when I can!

I'm glad it wasn't just me that giggled at that !! In my head to the 'Hello' I added 'Can you hear me mother' !! :lol::oops:

Jane, I wonder if you are of 'a certain age'! Most people wouldn't understand the reference to 'Can you hear me Mother?' I haven't heard it for years!

thanks I phoned my vets to let them know mabel had her vaccine at Ashleigh vets, they will be stocking it though don't have it yet, they said every 6 months x

it might be safer to do six montly for those of us closer to any confirmed cases. but i'll do what aidan says :oops::lol: x

I hope this is ok to add here, I know it's not normally good protocol to try and encourage people to join other groups but there is a very specific reason for this - we have created a Facebook group to talk about RHD2 including trying to track which vets have the vaccine. You don't need to have a Facebook account to view the group, and the pinned post at the top has a link to a map which shows which vets we have been told about who have the vaccine (or have it on order). Please do help us to help other owners source the vaccine by letting us know of any vets you know of who have it in stock or who have ordered it - you can pm me here or add it to the thread in the group if you join. Thank you :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

I hope this is ok to add here, I know it's not normally good protocol to try and encourage people to join other groups but there is a very specific reason for this - we have created a Facebook group to talk about RHD2 including trying to track which vets have the vaccine. You don't need to have a Facebook account to view the group, and the pinned post at the top has a link to a map which shows which vets we have been told about who have the vaccine (or have it on order). Please do help us to help other owners source the vaccine by letting us know of any vets you know of who have it in stock or who have ordered it - you can pm me here or add it to the thread in the group if you join. Thank you :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/

I'm directing people over to your FB Group and your Blog, my Vet included !!

Back