• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harry hamster

Thanks all. :)

Is he very tame yet ?

He's very strange, as he's easy to handle, but is very wary of us and hides away a lot of the time. I've had other hamsters that are the opposite - quite confident as long as they aren't being touched!

He has a really weird thick soft coat and I keep wanting to stroke it.

Thanks all. :)

He's very strange, as he's easy to handle, but is very wary of us and hides away a lot of the time. I've had other hamsters that are the opposite - quite confident as long as they aren't being touched!

He has a really weird thick soft coat and I keep wanting to stroke it.

Sounds like my foster hamsters. Junior is becoming more friendly but often shuts his eyes in fear. If I hadn't had my first foster hamster from a different background I would have assumed hamsters were nervous animals, but the first foster hamster that was rehomed was very confident and friendly.

ARC has another 8 to 10 hamsters coming in from the same place, 17 in total. I read he has done this with mice too. Buys them, they breed, then he can't cope and hands them over to a small rescue in Wales, who then transports them up to ARC as they have a better chance of being rehomed in London. The rescues are considering taking action against him. He cannot keep getting animals, letting them breed then hand them over to rescues.

Sounds like my foster hamsters. Junior is becoming more friendly but often shuts his eyes in fear. If I hadn't had my first foster hamster from a different background I would have assumed hamsters were nervous animals, but the first foster hamster that was rehomed was very confident and friendly.

ARC has another 8 to 10 hamsters coming in from the same place, 17 in total. I read he has done this with mice too. Buys them, they breed, then he can't cope and hands them over to a small rescue in Wales, who then transports them up to ARC as they have a better chance of being rehomed in London. The rescues are considering taking action against him. He cannot keep getting animals, letting them breed then hand them over to rescues.

Oh that's interesting to know. So he's a Welsh hammy then?

Ridiculous situation all round when it keeps on happening. :(

Oh that's interesting to know. So he's a Welsh hammy then?

Ridiculous situation all round when it keeps on happening. :(

Yes, they are all Welsh hammies.:D. I believe some had minor injuries such as bites. That's most likely why they are nervous. Daddy Ray, recently adopted, seemed a bit stir crazy. Poor little hammies. I don't think they were mistreated but overcrowded. I don't get why he lets the situation grow out of hand.

Back