• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Out with the old and in with the new

Clayton is taking house keeping to the extreme. He is keep kicking out all of the substrate from his and Barney's enclosure which results in my bedroom looking like a pigsty despite me constantly spot cleaning and cleaning them out whenever I feel their enclosure is dirty (between every two weeks to three weeks or so). If I put all of the hemp he has kicked out back into the cage, he kicks it all out again straight away even though there is nothing wrong with it. It has gotten to the point where my parents especially my mam are constantly on my case! I am always cleaning, tidying up and making my room look as tidy and presentable as possible but it is never enough for my mam and dad it seems. I have provided my rabbits with multiple digging boxes if people are wondering. Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can do or prevent this from happening? I do not want to keep wasting money on substrate for their cage! Where I get hemp from is somewhat expensive :/ My mam is really stressing me out by keep nagging me to allow her into my room to give it a deep clean, however, she has autism and OCD which makes her think things are much worse than they actually are especially when cleaning is involved.

Last edited:
I would replace the substrate with something else more sturdy - I think some other members use blankets (hopefully they'll chime in) and just use substrate topped with hay for a litter tray.

It's natural for them to 'rearrange' and if it a problem and you're not getting a break from your parents changing to something like blankets or similar really seems like the best option!

I didn't know you could use hemp for rabbits. I use newspaper and hay in litter trays & hutch so it encourages them to eat as much as possible, and change every day. What is the hemp for? Sorry your parents are giving you a hard time.

My indoor rabbit has his own room, he doesn't have any cage or enclosure, and I don't put any substrate on the floor, it's laminate, when I had outdoor rabbits they had rubber flooring in their shed, and before that I used non slip vynil in the hutches, it makes it much easier to keep clean. I use vet bed for a bed, and I use woodpellet cat litter for the litter trays, with hay on top. The woodpellet litter is heavy and stays in place much better, it's very absorbent. But a no substrate floor wouldn't be any good for Rex rabbits, or rabbits that have sore hocks.

My girls have their own bedroom but still have their cage that they have free access to.

We use towels in their cage (doesn't hold onto fur as much as blankets). They will rearrange the towels but can't physically throw/kick them out. They have their fitch in their litter trays but I'm lucky they don't dig in these very often.

Are they litter trained? If so you don't need substrate at all. Just use litter in the tray and if they kick that out use an enclosed box :)

Agreed with everyone else - dump the substrate idea altogether.

Plus - Hemp is quite possibly the messiest bedding you could pick lol. It goes everywhere without any help! Newspaper is the way to go, definitely!! ;) xx

Back