• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please on my rabbit

hi my names emma i have three male rabbits
one of my rabbits called rex recently stopped eating , drinking, toileting (worried because my first rabbit died from this)
took him to the vets gave me ranitidine to give twice a day
its the third day hes eating little been seringe feeding him mainly going to the toilet (smaller then usual ) seems better today more lively !
also been massarging his stomach as seen on you tube)
is there anything else i can do to help him ?? thanks in advance

one of my rabbits called rex recently stopped eating , drinking, toileting (worried because my first rabbit died from this)
its the third day hes eating little been seringe feeding him mainly going to the toilet (smaller then usual ) seems better today more lively !

Hello

Did the Vet also prescribe pain relief ? A Rabbit in pain is unlikely to eat.

Did the Vet look at your Rabbit's teeth ? Dental problems can also cause a Rabbit to stop eating.

Did the Vet rule out a full obstruction within Rex's GI tract ?

It sounds as though you need to take Rex back to the Vets for further investigations/treatment.

This link provides some information about gastrointestinal stasis in Rabbits, which appears to be what Rex is experiencing at the moment :

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

thank you
yes the vet gave rex two injections (i took him about three weeks ago with the same thing) yes checked teeth the vet said if he stops eating alltogether bring him in but hes eating slightly and seems better. the vet said try and force some hay or dandelion leaves in his mouth which he hates but today hes a lot better! thanks will read now :)

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Did your vet give you any meds to bring home for your rabbit? Usually gut motility drugs such as Emperid and Zantac have to be given for a few days before the gut returns to normal.

You can also, in addition to massaging his tummy, give him Infacol. It's an infant gas remedy, and you give 1ml every hour for three doses alongside the tummy rubs.

There's more info here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I'm glad he seems to be getting better. Please post back if I can help further :D

Good luck xx

yes just the ranitidine 5ml twice a day
hes just gone to the toilet lots now and he have started to *hump* me which he has never ever done before so i think hes fine now LOL !!
Rex looks a spit of ur rabbit

You've already received good advice here ... I just wanted to beg you not to force hay or dandelion leaves into to his mouth - that is a dreadful thing to advise you to do.
I question the competency of your vet with rabbits. Someone on here may be able to recommend a vet if you start a new thread 'vet wanted in .......'
Good luck!

yes just the ranitidine 5ml twice a day
hes just gone to the toilet lots now and he have started to *hump* me which he has never ever done before so i think hes fine now LOL !!
Rex looks a spit of ur rabbit

I'm glad to hear Rex is showing signs of picking up, and of course that he looks like Max :D

I would echo what Babsie has said about the vet. Pain relief and gut motility meds would be necessary in most cases. Some people say you cannot use another vet without asking permission of your current vet, but this is not so. You can go anywhere you like. Another vet will ask for your permission to retrieve the notes from the former vet, and you can still go back to your old vet if you wish :D

http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/referrals-second-opinions-and-changing-practices/

Back