• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Forgotten feet (sleeping in odd position)

iiisecondcreep

Alpha Buck
Sometimes our boy MJ seems to forget about his back feet when he's been cleaning, and just leaves them sticking out and maybe has a wee snooze.

1916105_10156517944950065_190685825154287143_n.jpg

Its a relatively recent thing to leave his leg that far out, as far as I'm aware. He has no mobility issues, he's very active (fast, binkies, can still comfortably clear 2' onto the arm of the sofa, keeps himself very clean), he's also quite recently had a CT scan that would have shown up any issues. He's always been one for the odd positions, this is him 2yrs ago

10173627_10154812986450065_7202273133447351794_n.jpg

10295697_10154245327045065_2911129890788743508_n.jpg

I never saw his wife bun or his current partner sit/lie in these sorts of positions and I was just wondering if it was normal?

I've only had it happen in a rabbit with arthritis, but maybe your bun just finds it's a comfy position if nothing abnormal was seen on the scan to indicate it's related to a health issue. It certainly does seem unusual though. None of my other rabbits have ever sat like that, only my arthritic bun.

Oh man, he does look a bit daft :D Never a dull moment! Both of mine sometimes sit weirdly (but not THAT weirdly) and they're about 3 or so, and Lopsy certainly 'forgets' he's halfway through cleaning and does one of his parallel universe moments quite regularly, so maybe he's just got distracted by sleep?! :D He's a lovely little guy.

My mini rex, Fiver, will sometimes sit like this, and that was before he had mobility problems, but my mini lop, Mimzy definitely sticks his left rear leg out as he's got hip spurs on that side and spondylosis/EOA. Plus he's a recovered head tilt bunny and has a residual 45 to 90 degree tilt depending on how tired he is.

But yes, I have seen Fiver do this even when he was healthy. We always thought it so funny looking, almost like he was trying to tuck his foot into his own ear. He did wind up with arthritis eventually though.

bisc sleeps in odd positions and has spondylosis, and secondary muscle wastage. the pics remind me alot of both conditions, especially the top two pics where the back end looks quite 'thin' (not sure what word to use but a muscle type thing), and the back feet sliding forward is typical of a spinal problem/spondylosis/arthritis. in it's early stages bisc would not have any symptoms really except odd sleeping, although something always seemed a bit 'off' :wave:

Thanks guys, biscandmatt, MJ is underweight. That was actually why he had the CT scan, only thing it showed is that he has a duff kidney (the blood and urine tests showed its not causing any problems (he's an EC bunny so he gets bi-annual blood tests anyway so we can keep an eye on it). He spent almost 2 weeks with the D1ck vet getting tests etc earlier this year and got a clean bill of health (bar the kidney and the skinnyness). He'll be about 6 now, he doesn't go into this position to sleep, its when he's grooming he just sometimes leaves it there, never for more than maybe ten mins, as I say hes still very active and still jumps about like a loon.

here he is a few weeks ago on a relatively quiet morning

Thanks guys, biscandmatt, MJ is underweight. That was actually why he had the CT scan, only thing it showed is that he has a duff kidney (the blood and urine tests showed its not causing any problems (he's an EC bunny so he gets bi-annual blood tests anyway so we can keep an eye on it). He spent almost 2 weeks with the D1ck vet getting tests etc earlier this year and got a clean bill of health (bar the kidney and the skinnyness). He'll be about 6 now, he doesn't go into this position to sleep, its when he's grooming he just sometimes leaves it there, never for more than maybe ten mins, as I say hes still very active and still jumps about like a loon.

Thank you for this post and the lovely YouTube video :love:

I had been mulling this over since I saw it last night and wondering what could cause the feet! I've seen it before, but in your case (or his case!) it seems to be a part of him. He's not short on fancy footwork and he looks in amazing condition :love:

EC can cause loss of sensation in the hind legs (due to neurological damage), leading to the Rabbit adopting the posture MJ sometimes displays.

Last edited:
Lovely video :)

Phoebe our butterfly lop does this from time to time but she's still young & has always been our little oddball.

Last edited:

sorry, didn't know there was more to this. must have missed that :wave: x

Back