• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can rabbits have antihistamine ?

Pets mum

Wise Old Thumper
The reason I ask, i posted recently about Toffee and his sneezing. A visit to the vets, confirmed that his chest is clear, there is no nasal discharge, and his eyes are clear. Toffee is a dental bun, but had his last dental just 3 weeks ago, and is eating his hay fine, apart from sneezing !
Nothing has changed in his diet, or environment. Today, I steamed cleaned and wet wiped everywhere in their room, again. I tend to keep the window shut now, just in case it's something outside.
Vet seemed to think it was hay fever, and ruled out anything up his nose, as no discharge
He is moulting like crazy, but I vac the fur up twice a day. It seems to be when he approaches his hay that he starts sneezing. I don't know what else to do. Just wondered if an antihistamine might desensitise him ?

Yes, I think they can have Piriton, at the appropriate dosage for rabbits obviously. Might be worth asking your vet.

The reason I ask, i posted recently about Toffee and his sneezing. A visit to the vets, confirmed that his chest is clear, there is no nasal discharge, and his eyes are clear. Toffee is a dental bun, but had his last dental just 3 weeks ago, and is eating his hay fine, apart from sneezing !
Nothing has changed in his diet, or environment. Today, I steamed cleaned and wet wiped everywhere in their room, again. I tend to keep the window shut now, just in case it's something outside.
Vet seemed to think it was hay fever, and ruled out anything up his nose, as no discharge
He is moulting like crazy, but I vac the fur up twice a day. It seems to be when he approaches his hay that he starts sneezing. I don't know what else to do. Just wondered if an antihistamine might desensitise him ?

Yes they can, and I have used them on rabbits, but it's very much with your vet's supervision as they will be off licence for them.

I use alternatives which work better with no side effects but I know many people are against them.

Good luck xx

Yes I've used piriton before under vet supervision - the children's syrup is palatable. Just be careful that you don't pick piriteze as it has a different active ingredient. Similarly, be careful of Benadryl as some people say this is safe, but it's only safe in the USA where it has a different active ingredient to Benadryl in the uk. Piriton is chlorpheniramine and is listed as bunny safe.

Yes I've used piriton before under vet supervision - the children's syrup is palatable. Just be careful that you don't pick piriteze as it has a different active ingredient. Similarly, be careful of Benadryl as some people say this is safe, but it's only safe in the USA where it has a different active ingredient to Benadryl in the uk. Piriton is chlorpheniramine and is listed as bunny safe.

Thanks Santa, yes I had a look at some USA sites, so that's worth knowing. I might ask the vet if I can give Priton a try. Poor little bunny, I hate to see him like this, I wish it was me instead.

Good advice !! I learned the above from Santa on a previous occasion :D

If the sneezing continues it may be worth asking the Vet about the possibility of it being due to Toffee's known dental disease ie related to elongated tooth roots. Elongated tooth roots can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs, not just from looking at the crowns of the teeth. Scroll a short way down to see Xray image on this link

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

Good advice !! I learned the above from Santa on a previous occasion :D

If the sneezing continues it may be worth asking the Vet about the possibility of it being due to Toffee's known dental disease ie related to elongated tooth roots. Elongated tooth roots can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs, not just from looking at the crowns of the teeth. Scroll a short way down to see Xray image on this link

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

Thanks Jane, this is my worry, and he will definitely be having X-rays at his next dental, which will be in the next few weeks. Just thought I'd rule out an allergy before going down that route.

Thanks Jane, this is my worry, and he will definitely be having X-rays at his next dental, which will be in the next few weeks. Just thought I'd rule out an allergy before going down that route.

In my experience, elongated tooth roots extremely rarely produce spontaneous sneezing. This weekend I've had many reports of rabbits sneezing recently. I would certainly try the antihistamine before lunging into expensive X-rays. Just my opinion :)

You're welcome.Sounds like a good plan to get some Xrays done next time he has a GA. It's always good to have some done in Rabbits with known Dental disease as part of the over-all monitoring of the condition.

In my experience, elongated tooth roots extremely rarely produce spontaneous sneezing. This weekend I've had many reports of rabbits sneezing recently. I would certainly try the antihistamine before lunging into expensive X-rays. Just my opinion :)

Thanks MM, I'm just back from Boots with my bottle of Piriton. Vets are happy for me to try this on Toffee, and have suggested a 1 ml dose, which having read prior threads, seems about right.
That's interesting what you say about lots of rabbits sneezing. I live in the Scottish Highlands, and with the weather the way it's been, the pollen count is extremely high around here, we have lots of trees as you can imagine ! Going to give it a try, so fingers and paws crossed ! :thumb:

Thanks MM, I'm just back from Boots with my bottle of Piriton. Vets are happy for me to try this on Toffee, and have suggested a 1 ml dose, which having read prior threads, seems about right.
That's interesting what you say about lots of rabbits sneezing. I live in the Scottish Highlands, and with the weather the way it's been, the pollen count is extremely high around here, we have lots of trees as you can imagine ! Going to give it a try, so fingers and paws crossed ! :thumb:

Everything crossed for you here :wave:

Back