• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie is very poorly :(

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
Yesterday morning around 5am, OH noticed that Cookie's head kept tilting to the side. Having had a bun with suspected EC before, I gave her a dose of Metacam and a small syringe feeds until the vet opened.

She's been given more Metacam, Emprid, Baytril and Panacur. The vet mentioned a tumour or a clot could be the issue, but doesn't want to give her a GA (she's only 900g so very small) unless absolutely necessary. I'm hoping it's an infection that we can clear up, rather than any of the above. We're going back on Weds to check for improvement.

My li'l bun is so confused (she tries to get to where she wants to go, but keeps going in circles to the right), and she looks so poorly. 😟 I've made her a "sick bed" on a large ferplast cage with food, hay, water and soft blankets. She's eating rose petals (we have a bush) and her favourite treat by herself, but won't have pellets or hay.

Gentle vibes for little Cookie would be much appreciated...

Poor little Cookie, sending her trillions of healing vibes and gentle nose rubs. I hope she starts responding to the meds and is on the mend very soon.

Thank you for lovely vibes all - I think they helped pull her through the night ❤️ We've been feeding her every two hours (critical care, Ella's Kitchen organic fruit and water), and I've made myself a little camping bed next to her. She's peed and she's pooing (small, but still round). Every so often she'll eat flower petals or greens by herself. She'll have a little clean here and there.

She's very wobbly and her head tilts to the right. She has episodes of nystagmus, but they slow down/stop when she has her medicines.

It's awful seeing her like this. I'm tired and tearful but I dare not sleep - I don't want her to pass whilst I'm sleeping. I don't know if it's better to persevere, or if I need to think about PTS. I don't want to, but I don't know if it would be kinder.

I haven't gone to work today. Both OH and I are at home with our little warrior. ❤️

Thank you for lovely vibes all - I think they helped pull her through the night ❤️ We've been feeding her every two hours (critical care, Ella's Kitchen organic fruit and water), and I've made myself a little camping bed next to her. She's peed and she's pooing (small, but still round). Every so often she'll eat flower petals or greens by herself. She'll have a little clean here and there.

She's very wobbly and her head tilts to the right. She has episodes of nystagmus, but they slow down/stop when she has her medicines.

It's awful seeing her like this. I'm tired and tearful but I dare not sleep - I don't want her to pass whilst I'm sleeping. I don't know if it's better to persevere, or if I need to think about PTS. I don't want to, but I don't know if it would be kinder.

I haven't gone to work today. Both OH and I are at home with our little warrior. ❤️

*Personally*, when my Tinkerbell had a head tilt and was completely out of it, I too thought of PTS. I knew the Tinkerbell I knew and loved would not be happy not being able to be a "bunny". The decision was taken away from me as she passed away only a couple of days later.

Only you know your bunny and whether she has had enough.

I do hope, though, that she makes a full recovery.

Thinking of you xxx

Topping up the healing vibes for Cookie this morning and sending you hugs at such a difficult time. Come on Cookie, we're all routing for you to get well again. xxx

I would definitely make sure you get some good sleep. You can't make any decisions if you're not thinking straight. Any decisions you make when feeling so upset and groggy you may regret and living with regret isn't a good experience.

She may take the decision out of your hands, but I am wishing peaceful and healing vibes for whatever happens to your little one :love:

Vestibular symptoms are very distressing to witness, regardless of what the primary cause may be. Some Rabbits can recover, or at least improve sufficiently to enable them to have a good quality of life. But the road to recovery can be very long, weeks or months rather than days. There can also be set backs along the way. Not all Rabbits are able to cope with how their illness pans out or all the weeks of hands on care that may be needed. Judging if 'enough is enough' can only be done on an individual Rabbit basis.

I dont know if you are on FB, but I have heard good reports of this group which offers advice and support for head tilt Rabbits

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HelpforHeadTiltHoppers/

Sending lots more vibes for Cookie xx

Back