• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a new bunny

krissie1234uk

Young Bun
We visited Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary today and have booked a home visit for an adorable young buck named Falkor. We have two middle aged buns currently who have recently moved into a shed and aviary setup. They have half the shed at the moment, so I was thinking that we could clear out the other half for the new rabbit whilst bonding. I have plenty of litter trays etc and can use their old hutch for some place for him to hide if it all gets too much.

Will this be ok or should I work on setting up something else, maybe indoors until he is settled in? I don't want to cause any problems with a bond by putting them next to each other too soon, but if he could stay outside it would obviously be better for him as we have cats. The cats are friendly but I wouldn't trust them completely.

Thanks for your help.

aww how lovely, have they got many rabbits in at the moment? they don't always put them all on their website, I often donate to them foods and bedding etc

Yes, they have quite a few in! There was a large rabbit named Fern who was very friendly but I'd worry we wouldn't have the space for her. They were all out in their runs at the weekend, which was lovely for them. I believe they had a rabbit open day last weekend so hopefully a lot of the bunnies have found a home!

They were selling plastic dog beds for a suggested £5 donation, so we picked one up for the bunnies shed too!

Hi there! Are your current pair male/female and you are looking to bond a male with them? It could upset your pair if you put another rabbit next to them in the shed, they could start fighting, so you need to think about this. Also trying to introduce another bunny could upset the bond, but it might not.

Yes, that's correct. I understand that the bonding process may not work which is why I am getting them from a rescue who will take him back if it doesn't work out.
Hopefully all will be well but I will chat with the home checker about what they think is best.

Yes, they have quite a few in! There was a large rabbit named Fern who was very friendly but I'd worry we wouldn't have the space for her. They were all out in their runs at the weekend, which was lovely for them. I believe they had a rabbit open day last weekend so hopefully a lot of the bunnies have found a home!

They were selling plastic dog beds for a suggested £5 donation, so we picked one up for the bunnies shed too!

sounds good, I may ask my grandparents if they fancy visiting again

Back