• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eating after teeth trimming and tongue abscess

Dina363

Young Bun
Hello

I need advice. I noticed 6 days ago that my 3 year old bunny stopped eating her pellets and hard treats. She did eat small amount of hay and veggies also her poop got smaller and harder. I took her to the vet 3 day ago and she needed teeth trimming and allready had a wound on her tongue ( i pinned a pic). Vet give me pain meds for 5 day and since i can't get critical care in my country vet suggested Bunny goVet Gastroplex pellets mixed with water. She gets pain meds every 24h, tummy meds 2x a day, probiotic 1x day, 8ml of paraffin oil mixed with pineapple (i know it has sugar in it but it helps her with GI sometimes- i give her max 5ml/24h). So my question is: is it normal that after 3 day she is still not eating a lot of food by her self? She try eating hay and eats veggies but anything hard is still a no go. I forced feed her 2x a day. Her poop is still small. So i really need advice how to help her better. Because after first trimming last year she alfer 3 days she ate mostly alone. I don't know what to do. I give her tummy massage a few times a day and she does not have GI. Please help me.

Thank you!!

Love D & Nana

Sorry for my bad English
lMjL6yO.jpg
[/IMG]

Hello

I need advice. I noticed 6 days ago that my 3 year old bunny stopped eating her pellets and hard treats. She did eat small amount of hay and veggies also her poop got smaller and harder. I took her to the vet 3 day ago and she needed teeth trimming and allready had a wound on her tongue ( i pinned a pic). Vet give me pain meds for 5 day and since i can't get critical care in my country vet suggested Bunny goVet Gastroplex pellets mixed with water. She gets pain meds every 24h, tummy meds 2x a day, probiotic 1x day, 8ml of paraffin oil mixed with pineapple (i know it has sugar in it but it helps her with GI sometimes- i give her max 5ml/24h). So my question is: is it normal that after 3 day she is still not eating a lot of food by her self? She try eating hay and eats veggies but anything hard is still a no go. I forced feed her 2x a day. Her poop is still small. So i really need advice how to help her better. Because after first trimming last year she alfer 3 days she ate mostly alone. I don't know what to do. I give her tummy massage a few times a day and she does not have GI. Please help me.

Thank you!!

Love D & Nana

Sorry for my bad English
lMjL6yO.jpg
[/IMG]

I am afraid the image does not display on here for some reason.

Personally I would not continue giving the Liquid Paraffin/Pineapple Juice, in this specific situation it could do more harm than good.

Did the Vet take any skull radiographs when the Dental was done, I assume it was done under GA ? Sometimes pain after a dental can be due to the fact that there is some tooth root elongation. This condition can only be diagnosed from skull radiographs. Obviously an ulcerated tongue (I assume you meant 'ulcer' not abscess' ??) will take time to heal, but that usually occurs over 2 or 3 days. If there were to be any soft tissue infection in the mouth then antibiotics would be needed, I assume that infection was ruled out in your Rabbit's case as you do not mention anything about her being prescribed antibiotics.

What 'tummy meds' is she on ? As she is eating very little and is on 'pain meds' (Meloxicam ??) then a medication to protect her stomach from ulceration may be a good idea- eg a drug called Ranitidine. Both anorexia and the use of certain types of pain relief (non steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Meloxicam) can increase the risk of GI tract ulceration, which in turn would cause tummy pain and contribute to the anorexia.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

A drug called Sucralfate can aid healing of oral ulceration and it can be given at the same time as Ranitidine

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Sucralfate.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10328192

Finally, your English is great !!

I hope that your Bunny will soon be back to her normal self xx

Hello

Thank you!!

Love D & Nana

Sorry for my bad English
lMjL6yO.jpg
[/IMG]

Hello Nana :wave:

First off, your english is great, so please don't worry about that!

Your rabbit is hopefully nibbling a little by now? Syringe feeding is the correct way to go whilst she can't eat for herself.

I would say though, that I don't see an antibiotic appearing on her list of meds, and if the tongue has been ulcerated then it really ought to be, as it should help it to heal.

All the stuff you are giving sounds good, but please ask about an antibiotic, as in my experience this really does help things along.

I hope all will be well soon

Good luck xx

thank you all for your help. Nana started eating a little by her self yesterday and her poop is getting better also. i'm really thankful for al your help and tips it helped me a lot!!

Thank you

Love D & Nana

thank you all for your help. Nana started eating a little by her self yesterday and her poop is getting better also. i'm really thankful for al your help and tips it helped me a lot!!

Thank you

Love D & Nana

Really pleased to hear that she is improving now :D

Thank you

Love D & Nana

You're really welcome :wave:

Glad to hear things are going well xx

Back